fork oil same as car oil?

ok i just installed bbr springs on my 230 which was the easiest thing ive ever done and im wondering about the oil. i think i read that you dont need to add any but the whole spring was coated so i want to just in case. The stock oil is 10w and i wanted to know if i could use any 10wt oil such as car oil 10wt- 40? im just curious, i mean id probably be a few oz's. if not i will go buy a bottle. lemme know what u think and wat does the 40 mean in a car 10w-40 oil stand for?

thanks

ok i just installed bbr springs on my 230 which was the easiest thing ive ever done and im wondering about the oil. i think i read that you dont need to add any but the whole spring was coated so i want to just in case. The stock oil is 10w and i wanted to know if i could use any 10wt oil such as car oil 10wt- 40? im just curious, i mean id probably be a few oz's. if not i will go buy a bottle. lemme know what u think and wat does the 40 mean in a car 10w-40 oil stand for?

thanks

Engine oil is a no-go. It foams and froths.

If you're going to go cheap, use automatic transmission fluid. It's about 7 or 8 weight. Honda recommended ATF as fork oil for many years. I use the synthetic ATF in my bikes. It's about $3 and quart and comes in a handy container. ATF also makes good household lube (door hinges, nagging wives, etc).

10w-40...

"10" is the weight when the oil is cold.

"W" means winter, not weight.

"40" is the weight when hot.

Straight-weight oil is more stable, less break down, than multi-grade oils. Multi-grade (10-40, 5-40, etc) oils "wear out" over time and lose the ability to be both weights.

This shouldn't be a problem in a bike's engine because the oil gets dirty well before it breaks down.

"O"

10 wt. fork oil.

There are many, many,many, did I mention many threads and links on engine oils. Search and you will find the knowledge you seek.:applause:

For the BBR springs you want at least 20wt oil. Any less & the rebound will be way too fast.