2 or 4 These days?

Hey guys. Im not sure really how often this is asked, but im trying to decide whether my next bike should be a 2 or 4 stroke. Im 16, and Im going to buy a new bike myself and maintain it by myself for as far as the whole parts/maintenance thing goes. Would you all reccomend a 250f or another 125? Im looking for a rideable track bike, that won't need really in depth if you will maintenance :applause: I know some might say that isnt possible from a "race" bike, but thats what im looking for, so i came to you all here at TT to ask. Thanks again guys, let me know if theres any questions.

Your kidding right?

This is one of the most asked Q's here.

If you don't want 'in depth maint'you'll want a 2 stroke....

Does the power compare though? Because I have rode my friends crf250 and the power down low just seems amazing. But I wasn't sure since my bike is an '01. Sorry if it was a dumb question, but just want to make the right decision

Yz250

Any dope can keep a 250f running good just read the manual. I suggest a 250f you can learn on that. 250f's are great bikes to learn on cause they dont require as much balls out as a 125 2 smoke does the 250fs are a little more forgiving if you hit the corner wrong.

For all but the most hard core racing I'd go two stroke all the way. More fun, more simple. No, the power down low is nonexistent on a 125, but that's part of the fun. :applause:

Id say go with a 125. If you arent really technically savvy you wont be keen on all the maintenance of a 4-stroke.

Its not that 4-strokes are really that high maintenance, but there is a lot more to them than there is to a 2-stroke.

Thanks for the opinions. Im probably going to try and get a new YZ 125 then. It wont be for a few months still since my bike hasnt sold, and I dont have the rest of the money anways haha.

The 250F's arent that bad as long as you leave them mostly stock and dont let them bounce off the revlimiter all the time.

No, but when 250Fs grenade its really expensive. 4-strokes last twice as long as a 2-stroke, but they cost over 4 times as much to rebuild. For someone who is on a budget, thats a major factor to consider.

I love 4-strokes for the power and sound, but my next bike will be a 2-stroke because 2-strokes are signifigantly cheaper to run.

I agree, 2 strokes are generally cheaper. I myself have both and like both but right now my fav is my ktm 450. The bigger four strokes tend to be better on maintanence than the little ones.

No, but when 250Fs grenade its really expensive. 4-strokes last twice as long as a 2-stroke, but they cost over 4 times as much to rebuild. For someone who is on a budget, thats a major factor to consider.

I love 4-strokes for the power and sound, but my next bike will be a 2-stroke because 2-strokes are signifigantly cheaper to run.

Just dont let it grenade.. and dont tell me it cant be helped. If you do maintenance like a douche, then it will grenade.. if you do it like you should, it will last several seasons.

I have a crf450 and a ktm 400...