Yearly maintenance

Well it has been like 4 years now sense I purchased my 2004 crf150 and I was just wondering what you guys would recommend I have checked like maybe compression and things like that. all answers like be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wolfgang

4 years! I'd probably replace the rings, check the clearances and sell it for a 250r. I'm getting maxxed out after 1.5.

i would love to do that but my parents are like "you need to save up for a car you will be 16 next year"

i am clue less on what you mean by clearance and rings

i am pretty stupid when it comes to moters just so every one knows

Buy a service manual. It'll have all the info you need to properly maintain your bike. Lack of proper maintenance will only cost you money or possibly a crash.

Swap the piston rings for new ones. Use a good set of feeler guages to measure all of your clearances and check your valves. Check the bore on the cylinder. Probably won't find much wear, these engines are bulletproof.

Tearing the engine apart is fine if you want to but it's probably not necessary. If left stock this engine should be fine for a lot more years just changing the oil.

Here are a few things to do:

1. Get a service manual.

2. Get a torque wrench & learn how to use it.

3. Service forks. (Disassemble, clean, replace seals & wiper, inspect copper bushings for excessive wear and replace fork oil.)

4. Clean out centrifugal oil filter

5. Front brake: inspect disc & pads per manual for wear. Change fluid.

6. Rear brake: inspect for wear per manual.

7. Remove carburetor bowl & clean it

8. Check engine compression & check valve clearance.

9. Disassemble rear linkage, inspect collars, seals & bearings, re-grease

10. clean, inspect & grease headset

11. clean, inspect & grease wheel bearings

12. Check torque on everything

13. Check tension on all spokes

14. New sparkplug!

15. Stock muffler: nothing to do to it!!:applause: if after market it's time to repack it.

Anything in bold is a "must do" for either safety or potential big repair bill. Of course if you never grease your bike you're going to have to replace parts much sooner. Most of this you can do yourself but some might be better done by the shop.

You should be able to do most all of it yourself. Servicing the forks you might want the shop to do the first time.

Good luck!

Nice list there Toast.:applause:

yes thank you very much toast thats what i needed

Tearing the engine apart is fine if you want to but it's probably not necessary. If left stock this engine should be fine for a lot more years just changing the oil.

Here are a few things to do:

1. Get a service manual.

2. Get a torque wrench & learn how to use it.

3. Service forks. (Disassemble, clean, replace seals & wiper, inspect copper bushings for excessive wear and replace fork oil.)

4. Clean out centrifugal oil filter

5. Front brake: inspect disc & pads per manual for wear. Change fluid.

6. Rear brake: inspect for wear per manual.

7. Remove carburetor bowl & clean it

8. Check engine compression & check valve clearance.

9. Disassemble rear linkage, inspect collars, seals & bearings, re-grease

10. clean, inspect & grease headset

11. clean, inspect & grease wheel bearings

12. Check torque on everything

13. Check tension on all spokes

14. New sparkplug!

15. Stock muffler: nothing to do to it!!:applause: if after market it's time to repack it.

Anything in bold is a "must do" for either safety or potential big repair bill. Of course if you never grease your bike you're going to have to replace parts much sooner. Most of this you can do yourself but some might be better done by the shop.

You should be able to do most all of it yourself. Servicing the forks you might want the shop to do the first time.

Good luck!

This is why I suggested to buy a service manual, it tells you what, when and how to service your bike.

I'm sure everything with your engine is fine. I'd check the valve clearance though. Worry more about the body. Toast has a fine list so I can't say much...lol

-Matt

yes thank you very much toast thats what i needed

No problem.

You may not find much in the filter if there's not too many hours on the bike.

Crf230 Rider,

I did leave at least one thing out that needs checking. What is it?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :lol:

It's not the muffler bearings either.

:applause:

No problem.

You may not find much in the filter if there's not too many hours on the bike.

Crf230 Rider,

I did leave at least one thing out that needs checking. What is it?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :lol:

It's not the muffler bearings either.

:applause:

The airfilter? Chain and sprockets?

Bingo! I was thinking chain & sprockets. I check them out almost every ride & always know the state of the chain & sprocket. So, I left it off the list.

I would not consider the chain yearly maitnence either. I haven't ridden my bike all winter and I still look at the chain. I'm so exited for the snow to finally melt. I'm starting my job tommorow too, so I'll be able to afford those sprockets I desperatly need in spring. Maybe I can get those fancy bar risers I always wanted.:applause:

:lol: