auto clutch and Nathan Woods

Well I can see why mtman. The whole thread was how everone loved them......like 100 people, and you called them lazy. I have one and it did make me a faster rider. I dont think I will put one on my next bike though. I was fine with the clutch on gnarley hills and chopped up ground but exiting corners I did not slip the clutch. I think it was an excellent learning tool. I now see how much speed can be gained by slipping the clutch.

That was my whole point. They can be a great tool but many riders that have/use them could become better riders if they where not using them, and learned how to use their clutches properly. The other point that I was trying to get across was that auto clutches are not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but as I am sure you saw that was not taken well.

mtman, remember that most people that you come across on forums like this are not fast A riders, so auto-clutches will be a benefit for them. If you are a fast A rider, then they may not be worthwhile, but even some Pro off-roaders such as Ty Davis do like them.

mtman, remember that most people that you come across on forums like this are not fast A riders, so auto-clutches will be a benefit for them. If you are a fast A rider, then they may not be worthwhile, but even some Pro off-roaders such as Ty Davis do like them.

That is true. My point all along is that when an average rider uses an auto clutch they are haveing a machine perform functions which they don;t have the skills to do. And thus they are keeping themselves from being the best riders that they can be. I am not saying they don;t have their place, or that they are not a good product.

And thus they are keeping themselves from being the best riders that they can be.

Isn't that why a B rider spends the $$$, 'cause he can't be the best he can be? :applause: I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just having fun. I'm a B rider who does NOT have an auto-clutch, but could probably benefit from 1.

I have been a A rider for 32 yrs. I am not as fast as I used to be but more importantly I can tell you alot about the evolution of a modern dirt bike. People did not like long travel suspension. Disk brakes wear not any better than drums. On and on. But what really stands out to me is that when something new comes along the first version is not very good. But two or three updates and it becomes standard.

I have used a auto clutch off and on and currently have one on my yz450. It is staying on. And I will make you a prediction that auto clutchs with a manual over ride will become more the norm than the exception in more than just the C and B ranks. The off road pros will be using them. Count on it.

I have been a A rider for 32 yrs. I am not as fast as I used to be but more importantly I can tell you alot about the evolution of a modern dirt bike. People did not like long travel suspension. Disk brakes wear not any better than drums. On and on. But what really stands out to me is that when something new comes along the first version is not very good. But two or three updates and it becomes standard.

I have used a auto clutch off and on and currently have one on my yz450. It is staying on. And I will make you a prediction that auto clutchs with a manual over ride will become more the norm than the exception in more than just the C and B ranks. The off road pros will be using them. Count on it.

i think you are right gary, i know i like mine. oh by the way..... you know you missed a great race at westpoint this weekend, but i guess keeping the wife happy is the number 1 thing in the grande scheme of things. -jamie

i think you are right gary, i know i like mine. oh by the way..... you know you missed a great race at westpoint this weekend, but i guess keeping the wife happy is the number 1 thing in the grande scheme of things. -jamie

You got that right! Another lesson I learned a long time ago is that if my wife is pissed at home for me riding I just can't enjoy the ride. I did though hate missing the qualifier.

I don't have one and have never used one......But the one thing I would like is to free-wheel through the huge breaking bumps like a 2st. does.

Other than that I think I can manage the clutch myself:excuseme:

I don't have one and have never used one......But the one thing I would like is to free-wheel through the huge breaking bumps like a 2st. does.

It's out there, it's called a slipper clutch. Mike Lafferty runs one on his KTM thumper. Very common in supermoto also.

The line between a slipper clutch, auto clutch and the new z start is getting thin. I run my z start standard set up to engage right off idle. I then use the clutch lever just like I would a regular clutch but it only takes one finger. Ther result is pretty much a slipper clutch. If you havent used one set up for your preference when you finally do, and you will, you will understand.

Chris has been using the STM slipper for over six mounths now and really likes it. The clutch pull is a little stiffer due to the diaphram style spring, but the clucth engages much more positive and the life of the clutch components is much longer. We installed a Magura hydro clutch recently to help the pull at the lever.

The reduced engine braking going into corners with braking bumps is a huge advantage and you can use the rear brakes a little more agressive without stalling. If you have rode a 2st alot back east, you know that you use your rear brake alot to turn, the slipper really helps you keep the 4st from stalling so easy....that and having Fi doesn't hurt...

Chris found that no matter how good you think you are with the lever, there are places where a slipper and maybe an auto clutch can make you better. Are they for everyone....probably not. But you will never know until you try it.:applause:

Well I can see why mtman. The whole thread was how everone loved them......like 100 people, and you called them lazy. I have one and it did make me a faster rider. I dont think I will put one on my next bike though. I was fine with the clutch on gnarley hills and chopped up ground but exiting corners I did not slip the clutch. I think it was an excellent learning tool. I now see how much speed can be gained by slipping the clutch.

Can you elaborate on that (slipping the clutch in corners)

Do you mean like keeping in a higher gear and "sling shotting"

like in trials? I've never used a auto clutch (been riding 36 yrs.)

but find it interesting how some folks swear by them.-Always

nice to have choices.Now if we can just keep the 2t around!

Chris has been using the STM slipper for over six mounths now and really likes it. The clutch pull is a little stiffer due to the diaphram style spring, but the clucth engages much more positive and the life of the clutch components is much longer. We installed a Magura hydro clutch recently to help the pull at the lever.

The reduced engine braking going into corners with braking bumps is a huge advantage and you can use the rear brakes a little more agressive without stalling. If you have rode a 2st alot back east, you know that you use your rear brake alot to turn, the slipper really helps you keep the 4st from stalling so easy....that and having Fi doesn't hurt...

Chris found that no matter how good you think you are with the lever, there are places where a slipper and maybe an auto clutch can make you better. Are they for everyone....probably not. But you will never know until you try it.:applause:

I would have to ride a slipper before I bought one. I'm so used to engine breaking sometime I think it's advatage over 2 strokes going down hill and into corners. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something. :eek:

Can you elaborate on that (slipping the clutch in corners)

Do you mean like keeping in a higher gear and "sling shotting"

like in trials? I've never used a auto clutch (been riding 36 yrs.)

but find it interesting how some folks swear by them.-Always

nice to have choices.Now if we can just keep the 2t around!

Most fast riders run the bike a gear high in corners and slip the clutch coming out. This makes for a faster exit of the turn.

The AC will do the exact same thing for you automatically. Just don't run two gears to high. That would be slower and probably burn the clutch up in no time.

I would have to ride a slipper before I bought one. I'm so used to engine breaking sometime I think it's advatage over 2 strokes going down hill and into corners. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something. :applause:

I haven't installed my Rekluse yet, but I am excited to do it!

I think if your cruising forest trails etc...engine braking is fine, If you are hauling arse and trying to keep up or stay ahead of your riding pals then freewheeling around corners would help....I stalled my bike a few times the other night riding fast and turning hard on some tight single track...The other big advantage is really knarly trails with roots and rocks and steep tight terrain, your bike is virtually unstallable...

Chris

I haven't installed my Rekluse yet, but I am excited to do it!

I think if your cruising forest trails etc...engine braking is fine, If you are hauling arse and trying to keep up or stay ahead of your riding pals then freewheeling around corners would help....I stalled my bike a few times the other night riding fast and turning hard on some tight single track...The other big advantage is really knarly trails with roots and rocks and steep tight terrain, your bike is virtually unstallable...

Chris

There talking about a slipper clutch not a auto clutch.