Sign in to follow this  

Baja and radios, do I need it?

My son and myself are coming out to do the Baja 500 in June. We are doing it solo and I was wondering if I should spend the bucks to get a radio set up. Will it be a distraction? Is it more important to have a radio to comunicate with my chase truck(wife)? And while I am asking, we will both be on yz450fs, any advice on gearing. I am thinking 14/45??

First off... :applause: to the father and son team!! That's awesome.

I could barely get my dad down to watch my first SCORE race last year, and he used to ride .... shoot, the whole fam did. Medical reasons keeps him off now.

I'll let the "vets" reply (I'll just touch on it) as you'll get all kinds of opinons on radios, and the need for them. As well, whether you pack one... or have a helmet setup. I like radios, but they can get VERY chatty. I think I listened to a woman's attempt to find a Starbucks (In Ensenada) for about 10 miles of my race. Distracting, but I'm able to tune it out. As a bit later, I heard my pit crew (paralleling me somewhat on the highway, running to next rider change) broadcast a booby trap at RM68. It helped, but I think I could have done better without the info. I didn't know exactly what RM I was at... and it slowed me a bit. Made me more cautious. And I think I was at RM50. :naughty: Plus, they were on a mobile and couldn't hear me on my portable. 5W to 50W is a big difference in who can hear you. So to try and tell them you got the message, you continually here them asking "2X race, did you copy" and it becomes a bit frustrating as they can't hear you repeatedly say "10-4 2X chase, I copy". ....and this was to be a short 'touch on it' reply :lol:

I prefer them (pre-running it's even safer as you can warn your ride partner of dangers ahead... etc), and live by them. So do most all the 'fun' riders we play in Baja, or even in the dunes with.

Tim...?? I know you'll be responding soon. :lol: Must be out pre-running. :eek:

Gearing, etc... would be a good question to ask in the forum associated with that bike. Seeing what it can handle (not too high). But I'm sure you'll get some good advice in here too from some Yami riders.

My response will actually be short...My experience is the same as mr. Airtime. Radios are a big fat PITA.(pain in the ..) Hate them.

Instead of spending the $ on high dollar radios that won't work, concentrate on riding the motorcycles slow enough to not crash.

Good luck in the race...Ron

A radio and or a sat phone in your pack can be of assistance in recovery efforts or simply meeting up.

Chase should have a radio on listening to the weatherman.

bob

i pre ran with a guy from pci at last years 500, he spent more time dinking with his radio than riding. my ipod worked great though.

A radio and or a sat phone in your pack can be of assistance in recovery efforts or simply meeting up.

Chase should have a radio on listening to the weatherman.

bob

I would do the same. You can carry (or wear) a hand held radio with you. It's there like Bob said "just in case". A chase/truck radio is a good idea also to monitor the race (Weatherman, your pit channel etc.). DISCONNECT the MIC also!

I would do the same. You can carry (or wear) a hand held radio with you. It's there like Bob said "just in case". A chase/truck radio is a good idea also to monitor the race (Weatherman, your pit channel etc.). DISCONNECT the MIC also!

I'll third this because I can:thumbsup: . Radio is nice, just agree ahead of time you will call chase truck and not other way around. Chase truck should have 2 meter FM and a SAT phone to call pits or for calling emergency. Sat ph rents for about $69.00 for 7 days, plus minutes and refundable security deposit here locally in San Diego (allroadscommunication.com).

Father/son team. That's great! PM if you need pit help.:applause:

Thanks for all the info. We are not actually a team, we are going to both solo. Of course he is 23 and I am 49 so I hope he can keep up. For better or worse I bought a pair of cheapee radios form wal mart tonite. $69 a pair. We will see how it works. We are coming from Alabama and I must admit to being clueless but how hard can it be!!

I'll third this because I can:thumbsup: . Radio is nice, just agree ahead of time you will call chase truck and not other way around. Chase truck should have 2 meter FM and a SAT phone to call pits or for calling emergency. Sat ph rents for about $69.00 for 7 days, plus minutes and refundable security deposit here locally in San Diego (allroadscommunication.com).

Baja Husky, are you the guys that can hook us up with gas??

Thanks for all the info. We are not actually a team, we are going to both solo. Of course he is 23 and I am 49 so I hope he can keep up. For better or worse I bought a pair of cheapee radios form wal mart tonite. $69 a pair. We will see how it works. We are coming from Alabama and I must admit to being clueless but how hard can it be!!

"How hard can it be"?? Famous last words. Can you honestly average 40 mph. for 12 hours? If so, you'll stay ahead of the Trophy trucks and class 1 cars. This has been covered many times here. get here early and PRERUN!! If not.......... Oh, and I'd return those "cheapo" radios and get your money back.

"How hard can it be"?? Famous last words. Can you honestly average 40 mph. for 12 hours? If so, you'll stay ahead of the Trophy trucks and class 1 cars. This has been covered many times here. get here early and PRERUN!! If not.......... Oh, and I'd return those "cheapo" radios and get your money back.

Thanks for all the input. 40 mph for 12 hrs. Should be memorable.

If you are racing Yamaha 450's, race Class 21 or 22. You will leave that much further ahead of the TT and Class 1's.:lol::applause:

If you are racing Yamaha 450's, race Class 21 or 22. You will leave that much further ahead of the TT and Class 1's.:lol::applause:

I am going to go ahead and ask the first of many stupid questions I have about doing this thing. What is class 21 or 22? I am going to assume they are the pro/expert classes. How far ahead of the 450 sportsmans class do they start? Is it really worth the extra money. Also, while I am at it, why can't the SCORE web site provide a little more info for people like me who has never raced west of the Miss? You guys I am sure know what all these classes mean but all I can do is guess. I check that site every day for anything like course maps, whatever. Nothing. Now I suppose I could send them the Money to get there rule book but it pisses me off that have to so I am going to try to get it free by asking alot of stupid questions!

You're right, SCORE does provide the minnimal amount of info. on their website. As for a race map, don't expexct to see one until the middle of May. You really don't need the rule book,but you will get one when you send in for your membership. Bikes are $50.00 a year. This gets you all the entry forms for the races, a rule book, a t- shirt and a couple of stickers. Send off your check and a note expalning that you are joining up as a bike racer. There are not the fastest there. So you'll have to wait a bit for them to send it your way. Next question?

I am going to go ahead and ask the first of many stupid questions I have about doing this thing. What is class 21 or 22? I am going to assume they are the pro/expert classes. How far ahead of the 450 sportsmans class do they start? Is it really worth the extra money. Also, while I am at it, why can't the SCORE web site provide a little more info for people like me who has never raced west of the Miss? You guys I am sure know what all these classes mean but all I can do is guess. I check that site every day for anything like course maps, whatever. Nothing. Now I suppose I could send them the Money to get there rule book but it pisses me off that have to so I am going to try to get it free by asking alot of stupid questions!

Its only considered stupid if you dont ask it and then find out race day the correct answer.

Class 21 is 250 Pro with bikes from 2 stroke 250cc up to 450cc four strokes.

Class 22 is Open Pro, any size bike, but most are 450s to 650s.

You dont havre to be a Pro or even Expert to enter any class in Score.

Pro classes race for trophy and $, plus any contingencies.

Sportsman race for Trophy only and any contingencies.

Entering Class 22 or 21 gives you about a 25-38 minute head start on the first Sportsman entry. There are usually at least 35 sportsman. Each bike goes in 30 second intervals starting at 6:30 am. TTs leave the line usually 2-3 hours after the last Sportsman Quad leaves the line.

Classes are:

Pro 20- 125 Class ( 50cc to 250cc 4 stroke)

21- We already covered

22- We already covered

30- Any size bike, 30 years old and older (age for entire team)

40- " " " , 40 years old and older (age for entire team)

50- " " " , 50 years old and older (age for the entire team)

60- " " " , 60-66 years old (ages for the entire class)

Sportsman Under 251cc (any age, any bike up to 250cc)

Sportsman Over 251cc ( any age, any bike size)

Then 4 quad classes ( 2 Pro and 2 Sportsman)

Everyone leaves 30 seconds apart.

Info for each race comes out usually after the next race passes. Next race is next weekend, Baja 250. After that race, the Baja 500 info will start trickling out.:applause: Steny

If you want see race course maps back to 2000, go to www.rlhcomm.com and hit BFG. That will take to a map page for old Baja races, including last years Baja 500 and 1000. If he still have the Baja 2000 course on there, that will show you the top half of this years course if San Felipe stays closed up most likely.:applause:

Its only considered stupid if you dont ask it and then find out race day the correct answer.

Class 21 is 250 Pro with bikes from 2 stroke 250cc up to 450cc four strokes.

Class 22 is Open Pro, any size bike, but most are 450s to 650s.

You dont havre to be a Pro or even Expert to enter any class in Score.

Pro classes race for trophy and $, plus any contingencies.

Sportsman race for Trophy only and any contingencies.

Entering Class 22 or 21 gives you about a 25-38 minute head start on the first Sportsman entry. There are usually at least 35 sportsman. Each bike goes in 30 second intervals starting at 6:30 am. TTs leave the line usually 2-3 hours after the last Sportsman Quad leaves the line.

Classes are:

Pro 20- 125 Class ( 50cc to 250cc 4 stroke)

21- We already covered

22- We already covered

30- Any size bike, 30 years old and older (age for entire team)

40- " " " , 40 years old and older (age for entire team)

50- " " " , 50 years old and older (age for the entire team)

60- " " " , 60-66 years old (ages for the entire class)

Sportsman Under 251cc (any age, any bike up to 250cc)

Sportsman Over 251cc ( any age, any bike size)

Then 4 quad classes ( 2 Pro and 2 Sportsman)

Everyone leaves 30 seconds apart.

Info for each race comes out usually after the next race passes. Next race is next weekend, Baja 250. After that race, the Baja 500 info will start trickling out.:applause: Steny

Now that is a reply! Thanks. I see what you mean. So for the extra money I get a extra hour or so on the trophy trucks. As much as this thing is costing it might be worth it. So my being 49 I could ride just about any class. Say class 30 which would start after class 22. But what class could my 23yr old son ride other than 21, 22 and 450and up sportsman? Is there a class 23?? We want to start back to back if possible. We are both A riders and want to get the full Baja experience and try to stay close to each other. If I am understanding this, it seems that class 22 and request a back row start is the plan??

going back to the initial question...

1. I would not ride or race without a race radio. safety while prerunning...calling out many hazards for the rest of the boys, on-coming vehicles, washouts and many other Baja obstacles. why risk the rest of the guys? :lol:

2. someone usually gets lost or separated. :eek:

3. for racing, just for the emergency...broken femur for example...you can call the Score chopper and get air lifted before you bleed to death in 20 minutes or so. other important reasons that are too many to list. :lol:

pm me for race radios info if you need them. :applause: