help with oil!

i got some maxima "thumper" oil its a 20w 50w and the owners manual says a 10w-30w or 10w-40w but is a 20 ok??? please let me know im going to the mx track tomorow thanks a lot

-nick

the 20w50 is OK, it actually protects your motor more, and in the service manual it gives you the temperature ranges that each weight of oil is good for... The 20w50 is fine... And good decision on the motorcycle specific oil!

Unless you are operating your bike near or below freezing, a 10w40 is better.

and I wouldn't use a 10w30, it just seems too thin to me, but use your own judgment... Just in case you are wondering about more maintenance tips, Check out this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4404163#post4404163

cool thanks a lot man im on my way to mesquite right now i live in las vegas so u know its like 120 here so that oil might be better? thanks a lot have a good ride this weekend

Some good basic oil info, that might be helpful: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Just a note here: HONDA HAS BEEN SPECING LIGHTER OILS FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS! I have posted this several times and in several different forums and nobody seems to know exactly why......

My hunch on this is that the manufacturers have to meet strict emissions standards. If an engine gets better mileage, it is naturally going to get better emissions......and if you run thinner oils, you are going to get better mileage. You following me here???? They spec thinner oils to make the government regulators happy, but PERHAPS WE THE RIDERS ARE PAYING THE PRICE IN REDUCED ENGINE LIFE?????

50 weight is an absolute must for the very hot Vegas area summers, but I would run 10W40 for a mild Vegas winter. If you ride where it is very cold, run 10W30 or even 5W30 in winter. It's sometimes hard to decide just when to change weights for the seasons. Last weekend the high desert got snow. Next weekend it's supposed to be in the high 80's and even low 90's! Go figure.......

One thing about your 250. It is a screaming high reving engine, so I think it can take advantage of a synthetic oil. If you got Maxima 20W50, it would have to be either their Premium (a petroleum oil) or better yet hopefully maybe you got Synthetic Blend? But, if you want the best protection possible, get some Maxima Extra ester synthetic, and run it in both your engine and transmission sides. I run 10W40 in winter and 15W50 in our hot summers.

Some good basic oil info, that might be helpful: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Just a note here: HONDA HAS BEEN SPECING LIGHTER OILS FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS! I have posted this several times and in several different forums and nobody seems to know exactly why......

My hunch on this is that the manufacturers have to meet strict emissions standards. If an engine gets better mileage, it is naturally going to get better emissions......and if you run thinner oils, you are going to get better mileage. You following me here???? They spec thinner oils to make the government regulators happy, but PERHAPS WE THE RIDERS ARE PAYING THE PRICE IN REDUCED ENGINE LIFE?????

50 weight is an absolute must for the very hot Vegas area summers, but I would run 10W40 for a mild Vegas winter. If you ride where it is very cold, run 10W30 or even 5W30 in winter. It's sometimes hard to decide just when to change weights for the seasons. Last weekend the high desert got snow. Next weekend it's supposed to be in the high 80's and even low 90's! Go figure.......

One thing about your 250. It is a screaming high reving engine, so I think it can take advantage of a synthetic oil. If you got Maxima 20W50, it would have to be either their Premium (a petroleum oil) or better yet hopefully maybe you got Synthetic Blend? But, if you want the best protection possible, get some Maxima Extra ester synthetic, and run it in both your engine and transmission sides. I run 10W40 in winter and 15W50 in our hot summers.

Good info, but the part about the synthetic oil, I just use Pennzoils outdoor motorcycle 10w40 and change it every 3-4 hours, if you use a synthetic it is more expensive and you would want to change it not as often which I think isn't as good as changing it sooner. I have used petrolium oils for 115 hours in my crf250r (06) and pulled it apart to put in new piston and rings and everything looked great, Its been changed every 3-4 hours and the airfilter has been kept cleen.

If you want to run a cheapie petrolium oil, I would suggest Maxima Premium (which is what your Maxima 20W50 is anyway, right?). It is API SG/JASO MA, $4.00 a liter, and Maxima has the best add pack in the industry (high pressure additives to protect your gears and cam).

What you running in your trans??????