Djebel H4 Headlight on a DRZ: Any problems?

Hi,

As much I enjoy my DRZ the stock headlight was a real negative point.

StockHeadlight.jpg

Instead I have fitted a Suzuki Djebel Headlight that can host a H4 55/60 W bulb.

I have also fitted an halogen Osram Bilux H4 55/60.

DRZwithDjebelH4Headlight.jpg

In terms of lighting this solves the problem. Enough light for long trips.

However, I worry this setting might put too much pressure on the battery, the regulator, etc... In the long term my fear is that might cause problems somewhere in the electric system... See: I am not a technician, at all.

So far no problem. Since the modification, ten days ago, I have only used the bike in downtown Bangkok. That means: using the electric starter a lot and the indicators, riding few kilometers, waiting for long periods of time at the traffic lights.

I may sound too suspicious... However, I had a lot of trouble with the regulator on my other bike. Is this due to the high heat we experience here? It could. I also lack sounded technical advice in this part of the world.

Has anyone done a similar modification? What's your experience and advice?

Thanks for the feedback,

Cheers

To Neil Claydon:

This Djebel headlight doesn't use the same bulb as a stock DRZ S... At least on mine (which I bought second hand in Bangkok imported from Japan) the stock bulb was a 35/36.5 W. This is why (using now a 55/60W with the Djebel) I worry that regulator and/or battery might suffer.

To Mattys:

Not being a purist I am happy with this set up... Although it's not perfect when one takes a close look. DRZ fork is wider than on Djebel 250. Therefore you 'll have to bend the headlight (about 0,5 cm on each side) to get it fit. Also notice the straps at the bottom... And you 'll have to cut a bit of metal (take a close look just above the indicator; djebel headlight has only one screw. To accomodate the second screw you 'll have to remove a bit of metal).

DjebelHeadlightProfile.jpg

Yes Matttys, it shines much more light -especially with an halogen bulb. As far as I know the DRZ stock headlight wouldn't allow the use of an halogen bulb.

Now, I don't know if regulator and batteries are identical on a Djebel 250 and on DRZ 400.

As I said before... So far everything good. I have been testing the new setting in an urban environment, Bangkok, where I can get some parts in case of problem happening. I want to make sure it's 100% reliable before taking the bike to remote areas of Lao or Cambodia where parts availability can be a big issue.

I have bought the Djebel headlight set second hand in Bangkok for about 95$... Not easy to find... However one could also fit the headlight set from a Yamaha TT Raid. Also, add the halogen bulb cost: about 30$ for a pack of two.

If that works in the long term I reckon the 125$ investment is worth it.

With the bike running, put a volt meter on the battery. Should be at about 13 to 13.5 volts. Rev it up, does it get to 14.5 thereabouts? If so, you charging system can handle it. I am sure it can and you will not have problems due to running the light. I too like the look. What did you do with the lump of connections normally hidden the the OEM shroud? A bigger picture would be nice....

Hi William1,

Thanks for the tip. I try that as soon I manage to put my hand on a volt meter.

I appreciate your help as I am ignorant in electrical matters and rely on others expertise... That is sometimes difficult to find where I live.

Below are some close-up and bigger pictures. I hope they answer your question.

Cheers,

Djebelfromtheleft.jpg

Fromtheright.jpg

FromTop.jpg

To Neil Claydon:

This Djebel headlight doesn't use the same bulb as a stock DRZ S... At least on mine (which I bought second hand in Bangkok imported from Japan) the stock bulb was a 35/36.5 W. This is why (using now a 55/60W with the Djebel) I worry that regulator and/or battery might suffer.

The stock DRZ S and SM both use an H4 55/60w halogen bulb as standard.

Your original headlight looks like a DRZ E one, which does use the 35/36 bulb.

The pics you have posted show that you have an S, so why it had an E headlight is a mystery.

Neil. :applause:?

To Neil Claydon:

mine (which I bought second hand in Bangkok imported from Japan)metal).

one of my greatest fears is that mine will be stolen and end up for sale or rent in thailand! that being said if i lived there i'd be looking for one like yours!

The stock DRZ S and SM both use an H4 55/60w halogen bulb as standard.

Your original headlight looks like a DRZ E one, which does use the 35/36 bulb.

The pics you have posted show that you have an S, so why it had an E headlight is a mystery.

Neil. :applause:?

If it is a Japan spec model then the mystery is solved. Japan S/SM uses E headlight shroud (and lamp too i guess).

Judging by the blinkers, it is a Japan spec.

Indeed, this is a Japan import. I believe the bike is clean as I have been provided with papers. Besides I didn't go for cheap bargain but for a reputable shop in Bangkok... My poor technical knowledge motivates me to get reliable mechanics around.

However, you 're right ericnjapan Many stories are going around about shaddy deals. It's probably a bit worth in Cambodia.

Not too many DRZ though, Honda XR 250 Baja design twinheadlights are very popular.

Thanks for the feedback guys, wish you fun