Flagging, how do you do it?

I might be a flagger tomorrow. Is there anything i should know? I've never done it before. Can someone give me the basics? :applause:

ya...just wave the flag when someone bites the dust haha

Pay attention all the time.

+1...thats the biggest flaw in people who flag, they just sit there picking there nose not knowing whats going on....

does the track usually provide the flag and vest or soemthing?

Ya..your track should give you all the stuff you need. I would bring a chair though i dont know if the track gives you those. They should also go over what exactly you do if a rider falls infront of you and all that stuff.

You will be flagging the jump area, or the landing area, that is after the jump not before is your area. As a rule flaggers never leave their chair or area. It is a teadious job but can also be rewarding at the same time. Before practice they will brief you on everything to do. Have fun and take in the racing for the day. Some tracks you have stands to sit in bring a pillow you will need it. In a nutshell the flagger protect the blind spot, blind jumps and a downed rider as much as possible.

They are usually placed strategically throught the track. Watch from your area to the next flagger. Also, assist the others, especially if they are sleeping. And warn the riders to move either inside or outside depending on the location of the wreck on the track. Watch out for the bikes, one gets wadded up, comes your way, you could get hit. Be ready to bail on a moments notice.

I usually use the same flaggers for every event but always go over the days gameplan in the morning with them. The single most important think is to not get bored and start spacing out,the moment you do you are a liability to everyone else. A good track should have radios for each of you to stay in contact with, make sure the batteries are good.The main thing when a rider is down, YOU are there to protect him! Dont just sit there in your lawnchair and hold the flag out. You have to get out IN THE TRACK and take control. Block the track and point and yell if need be to keep your rider and medical staff safe. The odds are you will be put in a safe spot and wont have to use your flag at all. Just remember that if it was you on the ground you would expect the flagger to do his job correctly.

+2. Ive seen a few instances where the flaggers werent paying attention.

It is your job to protect both riders who go down from getting run over and to protect oncoming riders from crashing due to a downed rider.

Its not that hard of a job, but its one that you should take VERY seriously.

The main thing when a rider is down, YOU are there to protect him! Dont just sit there in your lawnchair and hold the flag out. You have to get out IN THE TRACK and take control. Block the track and point and yell if need be to keep your rider and medical staff safe.

That is the best advise..... so many times there are more accidents because the flaggers WON'T get out on the track in front of the downed rider and direct the other bikes to the opposite side.