bought a 2007 XR650L last night

Hi guys, I'm a newb, just brought it home last night and I already have my first question. I rode it home (about 8 miles at 60mph) and there was a light steamy kind of smoke coming from the engine area once I got home. I checked the oil when - engine warm, obviously - and it looked perfect.

I'm assuming this is normal for a brand new engine just burning off all the oily residues from manufacturing, but I'd feel a whole lot better if anybody else had the same thing.

Also, I'll be removing the smog equipment and doing Dave's mods ASAP. I live at sea level, but plan on running in the high desert (<4000 ft elev), any suggestions on jetting to richen it up a little, but not overdue it?

Thanks

For sea level 58/160,but since your going up that far in elavation I would stick to 55/158 provided you stay with the stock exaust. Oh and do the Daves mods. As far as the oily fumes I'd keep an eye out,but it is probably just what you said it is. Good luck with the new ride.

I just bought an '07 a few weeks ago and rode it the first night about 14 miles. The engine smoked the whole time. I think it's just all the manufacturing residue on the inside/outside of the motor like you think. I've ridden my bike more after the first night, and the smoking stopped after like 20 miles.

I'm getting an itch to get a real dual purpose bike, and one that I can highway commute on if I have to.

Does the bike feel stable at 60mph on the highway? Do you think the stock tires are up to offroad riding, mostly powerline roads?

I would want to put a plexiglass front fairing on it for commuting. One that I could take on and off with minimum fuss. Ever hear of this being done for this bike?

Hi guys, I'm a newb, just brought it home last night and I already have my first question. I rode it home (about 8 miles at 60mph) and there was a light steamy kind of smoke coming from the engine area once I got home. I checked the oil when - engine warm, obviously - and it looked perfect.

I'm assuming this is normal for a brand new engine just burning off all the oily residues from manufacturing, but I'd feel a whole lot better if anybody else had the same thing.

Also, I'll be removing the smog equipment and doing Dave's mods ASAP. I live at sea level, but plan on running in the high desert (<4000 ft elev), any suggestions on jetting to richen it up a little, but not overdue it?

Thanks

Welcome to TT, and congrats on the new bike. Wash it using simple green, to remove any residue. Bike dealers should do it once a bike sells, but they have gotten lazy. Cosmolene- Its a corrosion inhibitor for the long boat ride the bike gets to get here. 158/55 should be about right. Yep, the stock tires suck. Many threads on here about tires fronts and rears, do a little search, I wont go into that. Change your oil soon, remember no moly additives, and dont forget to clean the downtube screen, or at least check it!

I got my 07 L back in October of last year. We where fortunate to have a really nice (warm) fall. As of now I have about 450 miles on it and love the bike. So far I changed the bars to protapers with bar risers, edelbrock carb, Q2 slip on , 4.7 gal clarke tank and a uni filter . Can't wait for spring!!! As for your question of stability at highway speeds I think it is pretty good at 65mph. It was however pretty hairy passing a semi going about seventy with all of the air turbulance. As for the stock tires, they suck on the dirt but are OK on the tarmac. Based on what I have read on this site most recommend either Dunlap 606's or Perelli MT 21's front and back. Have fun with your new ride..... OZ :applause:

one thing to add on he Dunlop 606's (great tires) I used the stock tubes and had a flat on the rear on sunday, when I got the tube out it appeared to have been rubbing - as tough it was too small for the tire and was slipping inside, had a pinhole in the sidewall area. I replaced it with a Kenda tuff tube of the proper size. I concur the stocll tires suck in the muck - but are great on the street.

Does anybody know if there is a considerable horsepower increase after the mods... or do they just improve throttle response etc.?

You will find the bike looses it's coldbloodedness, starts easier, idles better (cold) no more popping back on decel, runs cooler and pulls stronger than the locomotive used to pull General Grants Club car