Sign in to follow this  

New option for custom wheels etc.

This is a friend of mines business. I have seen this work don on everything from motocross fenders to auto valve covers. I plan on having it done to many of my parts. The options are endless. They can chrome anything in any color. http://www.sikindustries.com/

100_26001.jpg:applause:

what would we chrome? the spokes?

thats a cool wheel but to me, chrome is tacky......its only a matter of time before theres rap videos with crome DRZ's. ahahahahah. that would be great.

Look at the center section that is a blue tinted chrome. Standard chrome is tacky but put a color over it and it all changes. Check the web site and you will see. They can do a gold color too. They can coat your hubs and rims. They had a set in the show room wich were done purple that looked sick. This is the only picture I could find really quic off the site. There is a pic of a Yamaha done with green rims and fenders. It looked kinda of cool. The point was you don't have to buyt new wheels and hubs if you want a custom color and the coating can be aplied to anything it doesn't have to be metal.:applause:

the coating can be aplied to anything it doesn't have to be metal.:applause:

Are you sure its chrome then? I thought chrome had to have a metal to stick to...chrome plated plastic is possible when they mix metal particles in the plastic...this sounds more like powder coating... there's new stuff all the time though!

Are you sure its chrome then? I thought chrome had to have a metal to stick to...chrome plated plastic is possible when they mix metal particles in the plastic...this sounds more like powder coating... there's new stuff all the time though!

I believe this done by a process called vacuum metalization. The metal is vaporized and applied under vacuum. The material is very durable I have seen it on a MX fender and it could be twisted into a full roll without cracking. It is not powder as powder caoting requires the part to be baked at 35o degrees. I don't know all the specifics but I do know it is pretty cool.

Ps if anybody non local is imterested they do offer shipping back and forth. Give them a call for prices.

I believe this done by a process called vacuum metalization. The metal is vaporized and applied under vacuum. The material is very durable I have seen it on a MX fender and it could be twisted into a full roll without cracking. It is not powder as powder caoting requires the part to be baked at 35o degrees. I don't know all the specifics but I do know it is pretty cool.

Ps if anybody non local is imterested they do offer shipping back and forth. Give them a call for prices.

Yeah that's it, vacuum metalizing. It's done with an aluminum cloud that condenses and bonds to the plastic/metal/glass/fiberglass or whatever you want in a vaccum chamber. Then they apply a finishing layer and there you have it. These are cool wheels man!

Thanks for the info it looks like a great product

i dont think its vacuum metalizing. im sure its a sprayable system.

developed by Alsa Corp. a while ago, they are the originators and patent holders for the system and application for the chrome and color chrome. the SIK website says they developed a system for it but im curious on what it was they came up with.

i only know about the product because we worked closely with Alsa to develop some of the ghost chrome for use on our corvette that i posted up a while ago. we've been doing paint, body and custom work for 24 years.

im curious on the system SIK uses. theres no info on it on their site so i dunno if its 'proprietary' or what.

cool nonetheless though.

I can assure you that it is not a liquid nor powder coat system. It is vacuum metalization. It does have either a liquid or powder clear coat over the top as the actual chrome is less than 1 mil thick. This is why it is so flexible.

Do they polish the hub first or can it be applied on the stock surface...

They don't polish the surface but the do smooth it to prep it. They need a prety smooth surface to get good results. As I remember it costs about the same as standard chrome. Call for quotes you'd be surprised it's really not bad.

how durable is this, would it hold up as well as powdercoating, or anodizing on my rims and hubs??