Sign in to follow this  

Convert a CRF boy

I'm 40, about 210 when I get down to racing weight (already gave up beer sort of), and have owned Hondas for the last 8 years and am currently running a 2003 CRF.

The one thing I can say is I love Honda quality, you unscrew a nut or bolt and srew it back in, no cross threading, rounding, stripping it just works the way it is suppose to.

The thing I hate is this bike is a tank, it handles for sheet. I even once popped out of a corner because the front tire decided it was time to climb out of the berm (not fun).

If I do this I'll go with a 2007 450sxf. I ride track 80% and trail 20%. Don't give me trail bike choices, I rid motocross and will only buy a MX bike.

Help me decide here are my choices.

2006 CRF450

2006 or 2007 KX450F

2007 KTM 450sxf:excuseme:

KTM quality is top notch. All the Honda crowd at the track stop by and check out my 450SXF.

Honda or any other jap bike do not come with the high quality parts that ktm comes with stock.

KTM comes with:

-brembo brakes

-brembo hydraulic clutch

-excel black rims (which look really trick)

-renthal bars and grips

-the 450 will come with e start and will only be approximately 2 pounds heavier

-48mm WP forks (which are seriously amazing) oppossed to the 47mm Showa's

You will def. not be disapointed going with the KTM.

good luck :applause:

I have been a long time Honda and Yamaha rider. I have the 07 KTM 450SX-F and love it. It turns way better and the e-start is sweet.

I have been a long time Honda and Yamaha rider. I have the 07 KTM 450SX-F and love it. It turns way better and the e-start is sweet.

Yeah, I just got a 450 SXF and my friend got the CRF450 the same day. Really they're both great bikes. You'll have to respring either one for your weight. (I weigh 210 as well) The electric start is really nice, it seems like nothing big until you have it... I'll probably never buy another kickstart bike again! :applause:

Both bikes have very similar handling characteristics. They like to turn, and are very capable of hitting the inside line... point and shoot geometry. They both are finished very nicely, they have a nice feel in the saddle. The KTM is more roomy, so if you're around 6' it's a little better fit IMO.

In the motor arena is where the are some very stark differences. The CRF makes a lot of HP very quickly. If you ever rode a 2004 YZ450F it's very similar to that. When you crack the throttle on the CR you better be ready to hold on. It has a very barky motor, more so than any 450 I've ever ridden.

The KTM is a lot smoother... it's not that it doesn't make as much power, it's just very different. The CR's power is right away, the KTM you have to allow the motor to rev. Personally, I really like riding 250f's, and riding a KTM 450 is a lot like that due to the fact that the motor needs some room. The mid-range and over-rev is incredible.

You won't go wrong with either bike honestly. The KTM is a little more "race ready" but the Honda is a great choice as well. What you really need to decide is how you like the power to come out of a 450 and decide on that alone. :lol:

Good luck! :lol:

Yeah, I just got a 450 SXF and my friend got the CRF450 the same day. Really they're both great bikes. You'll have to respring either one for your weight. (I weigh 210 as well) The electric start is really nice, it seems like nothing big until you have it... I'll probably never buy another kickstart bike again! :applause:

Both bikes have very similar handling characteristics. They like to turn, and are very capable of hitting the inside line... point and shoot geometry. They both are finished very nicely, they have a nice feel in the saddle. The KTM is more roomy, so if you're around 6' it's a little better fit IMO.

In the motor arena is where the are some very stark differences. The CRF makes a lot of HP very quickly. If you ever rode a 2004 YZ450F it's very similar to that. When you crack the throttle on the CR you better be ready to hold on. It has a very barky motor, more so than any 450 I've ever ridden.

The KTM is a lot smoother... it's not that it doesn't make as much power, it's just very different. The CR's power is right away, the KTM you have to allow the motor to rev. Personally, I really like riding 250f's, and riding a KTM 450 is a lot like that due to the fact that the motor needs some room. The mid-range and over-rev is incredible.

You won't go wrong with either bike honestly. The KTM is a little more "race ready" but the Honda is a great choice as well. What you really need to decide is how you like the power to come out of a 450 and decide on that alone. :lol:

Good luck! :lol:

Very good insights. The 450SXF biggest difference to the other 450F's is the power character. The 450SXF is so smooth down low it allows the bike to corner much better and feel more agile. The smooth power also it much less tiring to ride. It really is like a 300F below 5000 RPM but a 550F above 7000 RPM. The e-start is really cool too along with the usual KTM parts like Brembo brakes, easy access Twin Air filters, hydraulic clutch, adjustable billet triple clamps, and those cool polished hubs:thumbsup:

What you have to ask yourself is what kind of person gives up beer? If you weren't happy with beer, I doubt you will be happy with any bike, or anything else for that matter. I think you should go see psychiatrist before you buy a new bike.

What you have to ask yourself is what kind of person gives up beer? If you weren't happy with beer, I doubt you will be happy with any bike, or anything else for that matter. I think you should go see psychiatrist before you buy a new bike.

of all the forums i have been to, corvette, porsche, ford, moto viewing, this is the stupidist reply i have ever read. i too have a crf and am thinking hard on a 450 or 505 sxf, great original post and replys, except for above.

of all the forums i have been to, corvette, porsche, ford, moto viewing, this is the stupidist reply i have ever read. i too have a crf and am thinking hard on a 450 or 505 sxf, great original post and replys, except for above.

Cool man, way to have a sense of humor! :applause::lol: :lol:

Wow, tough crowd. I think you guys could stand to lighten up a little bit.

I think the beer comment was a joke

Of course it was...:applause: Some people do take everything too seriously:excuseme: