Doubles

I am back into riding after 15 years. My 10 year old has gotten the bug for motocross and rides a CR85. In my younger days (alot younger) of racing, big jumps then now are being doubled and tripled. Just amazing. I am now riding a CR250. My question is how do you practice and learn how to double these things without the painful learning curve and experiencing serious crashes? I have read that you should practice on table tops. I feel pretty good with those but the approach/ramps are so much different. Not that I don't have the b_lls, but who wants to charge into something knowing that a crash is waiting for you at the other end..Thanks for any advice.

Im the same way i will go balls out on a 85ft table top and try and clear it but if its a 30ft double i slam on my brakes and roll it. I just started riding again so my confidence is going up a bit each time i go out. My buddy tells me whatever you do never let off the gas and always commit.

I would suggest to just put more time on the track, and you will progress to these jumps naturally. The more you ride it, the easier it will be for you to judge how much speed you really need to clear a new jump, double or otherwise. All you really need is the confidence that comes from knowing your bike, and trusting your judgement.

I am back into riding after 15 years. My 10 year old has gotten the bug for motocross and rides a CR85. In my younger days (alot younger) of racing, big jumps then now are being doubled and tripled. Just amazing. I am now riding a CR250. My question is how do you practice and learn how to double these things without the painful learning curve and experiencing serious crashes? I have read that you should practice on table tops. I feel pretty good with those but the approach/ramps are so much different. Not that I don't have the b_lls, but who wants to charge into something knowing that a crash is waiting for you at the other end..Thanks for any advice.

ry

Im going through the same thing as you are... Iv been getting comfortable on the table tops on the vet track im riding... Just taking it slow and getting to know how the bike reacts on the takeoffs... im clearing a 30foot table at will now... now as for the doubles I roll them most of the time Ive found by rolling them alot I have found out the speed needed to clear them so now if I come out of a turn and im feeling comfortable standing up and going straight ill try one... Just remember if your going to go for it you have to stay on the gas and do it if you hesatate youll probibly come up short... The point is start slow till you get comfortable jumping the bike... have fun with it... dont try it till your ready and you will know when your ready... dont worry about all the kids on the 85's that are passing you left and right ive even had um pass me in the air...Im 45 years old and having a blast ... Ive found that working on the turns and staying smooth helps you line up for the jumps and makes you feel in control ... most of all have fun... Tom

Thanks all. I feel a little better now that I hear others are having the same difficulty. I guess I need more time in the saddle. I will concentrate on being good in other areas around the track and let the doubles come when they are ready. As for the whoop sections, same principal? Go easy at first and build speed as I get used to them?

Ride with people that are more confident than you, you will feel more pressure to stick with them. BUT don't ride over your head know your limits and push them ever so slightly.

Thanks all. I feel a little better now that I hear others are having the same difficulty. I guess I need more time in the saddle. I will concentrate on being good in other areas around the track and let the doubles come when they are ready. As for the whoop sections, same principal? Go easy at first and build speed as I get used to them?
Whoop sections are a bit scary at first just always be in a gear that keeps your bike pulling so it keeps the front end up. If your not in a gear thats pulling your front end will drop and you will crash. Keep your knees squeezed up against your bike so you dont swap ends.

I went through the same situation about 3 years ago. I found it easer and safer to follow a buddy through the corners leading up to the doubles. That way I could guage the speed needed to clear them. Just take the chicken path around until you feel comfortable.

Whoop sections are a bit scary at first just always be in a gear that keeps your bike pulling so it keeps the front end up. If your not in a gear thats pulling your front end will drop and you will crash. Keep your knees squeezed up against your bike so you dont swap ends.

same...when i had this problem, i would try to follow someone and see how much speed i need in every obstacle...ans soon i was able to do everything myself....it takes practice and more seat time.....

try going faster lap....then u will see how fast u need to go to clear it

Definetly the way to practice is to work up, hopefully on flat tops if they are around. Following someone on a track is not such a good idea i think. You need to be the one with the confidence, not them. They may have the speed right for them, but if you do hesitate, or if you have your body in the wrong position, or chop your throttle, it could be bad.

I was getting in over my head last summer with my son on his 125. He got ahead of me on a track, and i was lettin some faster guys go by before i started out. I was pushin to catch up to my son (mistake 1) I hit a couple of long doubles and was flowin smooth. (gettin cocky mistake 2) Came up on the big triple and right before i went off the face, it all of the sudden looked real long, so i chopped the throttle to go 2 then 1 (mistake 3). The big 4 stroke decompresses alot faster than my old CR. Nosed down and tucked the front end. Real bad for the tendons and cartalige in your shoulder. You would be supprised how ofter you really need to lift your arm above your head in a day.

Just like stated above, if your gonna do it, do it.

Im back ridin, but us old guys gotta take it a bit slower, it takes much longer to recover now............ believe me.

practice on the tables

don't try the doubles unless you are fully committed and confident

Find someone who has it pegged, and ask them to show you. Follow them and practice on safe doubles. ALWAYS commit if you going to commit, dont ever half ass it on the face or your prob gonna get hurt. I half commited to a 100 ft. step up and almost wond up in a helicopter. DO NOT ride over you head, but push your limits. And remember throttle control is key on a 2 stoke, chopping the throttle can put you on either your head or your ass QUICK something you want to avoid. Also your bike now has 12+ inches of suspension, so its better to over jump than come up short.

Thanks all. Went to the track today with my son (yep, he ditched school to ride with dad) and things went alot better. It's funny how your mind can process all the tips that I have read about on TT. The whoops went alot better, actually skimming some of them without going over the bars. I cheated a little by warming up on the kids track because they have a decent set of whoops. Then went faster on the main track whoops. I am almost at the point to start really going after the doubles. I felt ready today but will go for it next time out. I think I am very close. The jumps are getting better, however, some seem to kick my rear up causing me to move forward and in some cases even my feet leave the pegs. Not a good feeling. Felt like if I did not control my forward movement I would have gone over the bars. It seem like on that step down jump I needed to get my body way back. Any other tips for the next time out would be great. You all are helping alot.

on a 2smoke keep the throttle the same dont gun it at the end of the jump or you'll do a air wheelie.

try to match the doubles to table tops you have done(if they are built generally the same). i had a bad double fear until i was racing 80's and after building a 40ft double in my yard which we built the lip exactly like my other table top then i just kinda went for it. just tell yourself in your mind "this is my trick" that you've just done the jump a lap before, and then , "do it again like you did last lap" works for me every time. although i have yet to do a double over 55 ft. =( then they start to bug me, hahha

Its Just like golf Or anything for that matter. Just keep doing it and you will be able to go to new tracks and look at it and say need to hit this in 3rd pinned yada yada.You can chop throttle later on when the speed comes in, right now stay smooth on the gas:ride:

Thanks all. Went to the track today with my son (yep, he ditched school to ride with dad) and things went alot better. It's funny how your mind can process all the tips that I have read about on TT. The whoops went alot better, actually skimming some of them without going over the bars. I cheated a little by warming up on the kids track because they have a decent set of whoops. Then went faster on the main track whoops. I am almost at the point to start really going after the doubles. I felt ready today but will go for it next time out. I think I am very close. The jumps are getting better, however, some seem to kick my rear up causing me to move forward and in some cases even my feet leave the pegs. Not a good feeling. Felt like if I did not control my forward movement I would have gone over the bars. It seem like on that step down jump I needed to get my body way back. Any other tips for the next time out would be great. You all are helping alot.

Keep in mind that it only takes one mistake in the air to have a bad landing...If you are not leaving the jump right every time it can sneak up and bite you...us older guys have try and take care of our bodies a little better it takes longer to heal...that being said try some safer doubles first somthing that if you come up short you will still be able to ride through it... thats how I did it... its not fun coming up short i did that too more than once...if your nosed over and come up short its going to be really bad so make sure your takeoffs are sound before you try... take your time... and ride safe...Tom

I got back into MX almost 2 years ago and went thru everything you have described. The first time I did a double was actually quite on accident. I was at the local track practicing on a Saturday afternoon. I was feeling a little tired so I decided to go to the gate and practice my starts. I was experimenting with different starting gears when a young kid on a 450F pulled along side of me at the gate and said you want to go. I said I was just practicing my starts and he said that was cool and said that he would work the starts with me. I actually got a pretty good start but it wasn't long before he flew past me on his more powerful bike. We went into the first turn at racing speed and immediately into a whoop section. Just past the whoop section was a 45 foot double and I just stayed on his tail and before I could even think about what I was doing I cleared my first double. Anyway there is a moral to this story at least for me, I just thought I would share this experience to let you know if you continue to ride and improve then you will be clearing doubles before you know it.

Another thing to be real conscience of is position of rear breaking foot while airborne. Don't fly on balls of feet.Fly on arches.

my advice im 16 now soo im working up da confidence to do doubles and triples and such, my advice to ne one is what worked for me...work of an incredibly easy 10 foot dbl then a 15...i can tell whetehr or not to hit a jump by doing a ride by at my fastest and dodge at da last second and cgecl the angle of the lip...some jumps just feel right with the speed and angle other jumps... eh u run inta trbl...but i mean hell there no reason to quit ridin all to gether b.c of it remeber ur out to have fun unless ur rc or bubba no need ta rush it...patience jey...this all may not mean much to u from a 16 year old but thats how i got over...

keep it roostin

dave