Sign in to follow this  

oil filter

i have one in my 250f, it does a good job when it comes to cost(saving money over numerous paper filters) but i beleive the paper ones filter a little better

I use the paper filters, change the filters every 15 hours and oil every 3-4, it isn't that expensive, $7 for a K&N oil filter, a bit more for OEM and a bit less for the highflo type

I use the paper filters, change the filters every 15 hours and oil every 3-4, it isn't that expensive, $7 for a K&N oil filter, a bit more for OEM and a bit less for the highflo type

I used highflo. or whatever.

they do a great job, but i think that the paper ones filter even smaller particles, its kinda cool tho to be able to clean ur filters and seeing how ur motors doin enternally

ya i definatly think that they are worth it saves a bunch of money after you change the oil like 8 times

I buy HiFlo filters in bulk from eBay and pay around $2.00 per filter. I can buy 25 filters at a time for around $50.00 that will last me two seasons or more. I would stay away from the reusable filters. JMO.

Supposedly the paper filters will filter down to a certain size (35 micro say) but that doesn't mean that they won't let something larger thru since there is inconsistancies in the pore size of the paper. Also as the paper gets older the pores enlarge. The stainless mesh filters filter to a certain size and that's what you get since the pore size is supposedly more consistant and wont change over time. If you do a good job cleaning the mesh filter with solvent it should be just fine. (I use a scotts filter with no problems yet). I would also get a magnetic drain plug as extra insurance, it can't hurt.

I buy HiFlo filters in bulk from eBay and pay around $2.00 per filter. I can buy 25 filters at a time for around $50.00 that will last me two seasons or more. I would stay away from the reusable filters. JMO.

can i have a link?

thanks alot for the info youguys are great with always helping! ride on:ride:

can i have a link?

I was able to find a link to a sale of 3 filters for $9.00. That's not bad, but I've gotten them for just over $2.00 per filter. Usually that's when you buy 10 or more. I've only got one left right now so I'll be getting some more within the next week or so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HiFlo-Oil-Filter-3-pack-HF116-CRF-250-450-ATV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQhashZitem300071027914QQihZ020QQitemZ300071027914QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Well, I was thinking of using them--it would save me alot of money in the long run. I think that metal filter pays for itself.

I've used Scott's SS filters with no problems on my last four thumpers. I think they're worth it. Keep a case of good oil around and you have no excuse to change your oil. Also, I used to run the papers on my old 426 but found a couple with HOLES in them due to particles ripping the paper so just something to consider.