Which valves should I go with?

I am about to tear down my '01. I picked up a set of Stage 1 Hotcams and a fresh piston and ring, and I have been having a shifting problem in third. My question is that if I am going to freshen up the motor what valves shoudl I go with. Has anyone had success or lack of with stocks versus aftermarkets like kibblewhites. I am a mediocre rider but I am pretty hard on things at times. I DO NOT want something I need to worry about. Also what about valve guides in these bikes, are thy not an issue, just seats and seals or what? Thanks in advance!

you should go with oem yamaha valves. they last 5+ years. no other brand can say this!!! well, mostly because none of them are even 5 years old yet!!!

The kibblewhite valves have a bad history, stay away from them. Sign up on the oem thumpertalk store and you can get oem valves, springs and seals dirt cheap.

Great, how about valve guides, I do not here of anyone doing anything with them and they have to be good before your valves will line up properly to the seats anyhow. Some people say that they will wear new valves down faster if they are not cleaned up. Thanks again

Great, how about valve guides, I do not here of anyone doing anything with them and they have to be good before your valves will line up properly to the seats anyhow. Some people say that they will wear new valves down faster if they are not cleaned up. Thanks again

id get guides to be safe...and make sure to have your seats recut

you should go with oem yamaha valves. they last 5+ years. no other brand can say this!!! well, mostly because none of them are even 5 years old yet!!!

Damn, you Yamaha guys sure have a short memory. As I recall it Yamaha had a world wide recall on their valves and the dealerships were replacing them free of charge because Yamaha's valves would barely last 5 hours (OK maybe a little exaggeration…but not much) :applause:

Damn, you Yamaha guys sure have a short memory. As I recall it Yamaha had a world wide recall on their valves and the dealerships were replacing them free of charge because Yamaha's valves would barely last 5 hours (OK maybe a little exaggeration…but not much) :applause:

Whoa hoa there. Cool your jets. At least Yamaha stepped up to the plate and admitted that there was a problem and fixed it free of charge on their early 06's with the bad batch of valves. More than what can be said for other brands of 4T MX bikes.

Go with the OEM valves, springs and seats. By far the best.

Whoa hoa there. Cool your jets. At least Yamaha stepped up to the plate and admitted that there was a problem and fixed it free of charge on their early 06's with the bad batch of valves. More than what can be said for other brands of 4T MX bikes.

Go with the OEM valves, springs and seats. By far the best.

First of all i'm not bashing Yamaha's, they do have a good bike, but so do the other 3 manufacturers. The fact that Yamaha did step up and fix the problem was huge on their part, But, it was not as simple as a bad batch of valves, if that were the case it would have been a more isolated situation and that's not the case it was a world wide situation, I do a lot of repair, service and motor building and it's still some what of an issue, I have customers that need rebuilds because of the valve issue and the dealership won't fix it free after the initial fix. All the bikes have their issues, none really any worse than the other, just different. As far as valve replacement I would also go with the OEM valves, in general they are very reliable, would probalby go with a good aftermarket valve & spring if I were doing any kind of real mods to the bike.

Ok so stockers would be fine. I am only putting in my set of stage 1 hotcams, so what would be a decent set to compare to stock just in case I decide to go with aftermarket? Thanks for all the info!!

stock is the best!,dont decide to go aftermarket

the only reason 06's had bad valves is because of the total redesign for 06, the made the valves slightly lighter but that cost some reliabilty and yamaha wanted to stay being known as the most reliable, so they stepped up and recalled em

Ditto.

And I would stay away from Kibblewhite, the two-piece design is flawed, they're almost always back-ordered, and the customer service sucks. You can't go wrong with the titanium OEM valves from Yamaha.

Well, I'm going to go against what everyone else has said (if nothing else to provide some fuel for more "discussion"), and reccommend the kibblewhite valves. This is based on my ACTUAL experience with them. I HAVEN'T tried the OEM valves again, but the first set did very well. I just thought I'd try something different.

My story:

Bought a 2003 WR250F in 2004 almost new (400km).

I Rode 11,000 trouble-free km, adjusted the valves a couple of times.

Early 2006 I bought a set of stainless steel Kibblewhite valves from the TT store along with stiffer valve springs, Ti retainers, valve guides and a YZ cam.

The bike is now up to about 15,000km and I just installed a wiseco hi-comp piston and new cam-chain...and I love it. The stainless valves needed some adjustment to begin with but haven't moved in the last 3,000km.

I'm not terribly fast but I ride a lot of dust and don't keep up with maintenace as well as I should:smashpc: , so I wanted something that I didn't have to keep a close eye on. They've done the trick so far, I can certainly reccommend them. I've since done the same thing with a friend's '01 WR and they are happy too.

The added valve weight was not a problem for me, I didn't notice any loss of top-end, but I'm sure the new springs and cam helped that.

I did some light research into the materials and possible failure modes, and to me the stainless valves sounded like a sure bet.

I'm happy.:applause: