4 Aftermarket LED Blinkers and No IC Relay?

I recenlty purchased a DRC Edge tail setup with the 602 blinkers all around. I installed the edge with the 2 rear blinkers and as its supposed to without a relay or resistor, it blinks faster. I want to put on my front 602 blinkers also, but before I cut and splice will the reduced current load make the blinkers blink faster or even just go solid because I have 4 LED blinkers? Will I have to have an IC relay? Don't want to cut and splice today to find my blinkers wont work properly and have to wait 3 days to ride to wait for a relay! Thanks!

If my feeble memory serves, it may blink extremely fast or go solid, depending on the age of your relay. You should get a relay before you do the fronts. You do not have to get the one from DRC, there are many other suitable variations out there. Motrax is one, El-12 is another I think. These are two wire, electronic load independant flashers.

William1 advise is the proper way to go. But If you like to improvise, just wire in a standard blinker bulb (1156) hidden someplace to bias the circuit, and it will blink F and R LEDs same as it does now. You will need 2 bulbs, 1 for the Rt circuit and 1 for the left. The bulbs do the same thing as an add-on resister and are a lot easier and cheaper to find.

Nobles concept works and you could do it with just one bulb/resistor if you like the rate the flashers work the way you have it now. The bulb/resistor would be placed on the Light Green wire that goes between the OEM relay and the bar switch. If you use a bulb (you'd want to hide the light it generates somehow) and it fails, well, you have no flashers. A resistor tends to last forever, but it can heat up so you have to use some forethough as to where you place it, for that matter, a bulb gets hot too.

But the best way is with the correct flasher. Autozone/Pep Boys/NAPA can probably take care of you.

I put the Edge T/light and 602 blinkers on the rear and added the Zeta Handguard XC protectors with the built in LED blinkers on mine. Yes the blinkers flash faster, about double the rate but everyone of my friends like the quick flash rate and say it's more visible to them.

I asked Forrest at Wheeling when I ordered and he recommended I try without the relay and see If I didn't like the faster blink rate. I believe he said his bike that he uses to promote his gear is setup without the relay. Just my 2 cents worth. :applause:

William1. No, 1 bulb will not work. You need 2, 1 for each side. If you put it where you said it has to be in series. You want it power to ground not power to power. And for that it has to be after the RT/LF switch so it is not just on all the time. Certainly an electronic flasher is a better choice.

LOL, one will work fine, one wire from the Light Blue and the other wire from the bulb to ground. Power goes up the Light Blue to the turn signal switch then off to the right or left. Makes no difference load wise if you use one bulb as I described or a bulb on each side after the switch.

Noble, you are correct. Whaaaaat was I thinking. The ,ethod I descrobed would have the flasher running all the time! Dooh!

The faster flashing is a result of the burnt out bulb circuit, and is just a means of telling the rider to change the burnt out bulb. The flash rate (beyond the burnt out bulb sensing) is not dependent on load. There is two flash rates, normal flashing, and burnt out bulb flashing.

I suggest using a HD flasher relay as they are cheap and have no burnt out bulb circuit. I do not recommend using the resistor or a bulb in series, as you then might as well have just put in normal signal lights, not nice LEDs that draw less power. As well, resistors get HOT! Do it right, anything less than changing the flasher is hack, in my opinion! Its probably easier to change the relay anyways.

One more thing, you have to watch out with electronic flashers. Any old electronic flasher will not solve your problem, because some electronic flashers also have the burnt out bulb circuit. If you buy one and try it, and it still flashes fast, you could be SOL because some parts stores don't accept electronic items for return if they have been tried. (Unless you know someone on the 'inside'). There is a good write-up here on TT about the installation of a HD flasher relay. Go do that!

The faster flashing is a result of the burnt out bulb circuit, and is just a means of telling the rider to change the burnt out bulb. The flash rate is not dependent on load. Not at all. There is two flash rates, normal flashing, and burnt out bulb flashing.

I suggest using a HD flasher relay as they are cheap and have no burnt out bulb circuit. I do not recommend using the resistor or a bulb in series, as you then might as well have just put in normal signal lights, not nice LEDs that draw less power. As well, resistors get HOT! Do it right, anything less than changing the flasher is hack, in my opinion! Its probably easier to change the relay anyways.

One more thing, you have to watch out with electronic flashers. Any old electronic flasher will not solve your problem, because some electronic flashers also have the burnt out bulb circuit. If you buy one and try it, and it still flashes fast, you could be SOL because some parts stores don't accept electronic items for return if they have been tried. (Unless you know someone on the 'inside'). There is a good write-up here on TT about the installation of a HD flasher relay. Go do that!

The faster flashing is no special circuit, it is a matter of the load. Time the flashes. If you put in lower wattage bulb, sat a 15watt, time the flashes, they will be faster. Take out the 15's, put in one 21 stock bulb, faster still, put in a single 15, even faster. Totally load dependant - put in a couple of 35's, flashes will be real slow.

I agree, put in the right flasher relay. Do job, do it right, do it once.

William1 - There is power to the light blue wire whenever the key is on. A bulb LB to ground will cause the flasher to flash the bulb continuiously. The RT/LF switch is what completes the circuit thru the bulbs causing the flasher to flash. Complere the circuit before the switch and it just flashes all the time.

Saskzuk - The flasher on a DRZ is a thermal flasher. Flash rate is very dependent on system voltage and system resistance. The flash rate changes because the resistance changes when a bulb is out. Take a flasher apart and you will see how simple it is.

Ralph, I realized that - I had edited my post....

Kinda like this?

I was through all this when I did my LED tail lights in my Samurai. I guess I was referring to the electronic flashers, which flash at a constant rate independent of load, and have a burnt out bulb circuit that senses a drop in current and flashes faster. Regardless, I would just put in the HD relay, as we have agreed. Sorry for the confusion.

I realize I kind of contradicted myself, but they work independent of load until it drops below a certain threshold, as I understand it.

IMGP3190.jpg

IMGP3188.jpg

I went all LED when I put my DRC on. It does flash faster but not solid. Saving grace was rears I used. I got the Light Works sigs that bolt onto the lic plate. Instead of 4-5 LED's like 601-2's they have about 20 per side. Jacks the resistance up just enough not to need the relay.

Also pickedup 2 little LED "arrows" was thinking of mounting them to my mirrors kinda like the new Fords have. Now I just gotta find my mirrors.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=27221

I recenlty purchased a DRC Edge tail setup with the 602 blinkers all around. I installed the edge with the 2 rear blinkers and as its supposed to without a relay or resistor, it blinks faster. I want to put on my front 602 blinkers also, but before I cut and splice will the reduced current load make the blinkers blink faster or even just go solid because I have 4 LED blinkers? Will I have to have an IC relay? Don't want to cut and splice today to find my blinkers wont work properly and have to wait 3 days to ride to wait for a relay! Thanks!

They will not blink any faster than you have them right now. You are afraid that when you install the fronts, it will go super fast. It wont. After you install the rear, that's it, unless you like the OEM lazy blink, then install the IC relay. I like to be seen.:applause:

I bought one of these at avancedauto for under $10. i wired the blinker wires that would normally go into the stock relay right to the new relay. I Got this idea from a post here on tt last summer. it works great, the blinkers now blink at the original rate. In the bottom picture you can see the RTV i used to protect the connections from water, so far so good.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=28197

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=28195

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=28194

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=15704

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=15706