Anodizing paint

I just picked up some "Dupli Color" anodizing spray paint. You can get it at some auto parts stores and Walmart. It comes in 5 colors including red. It only works on chrome and shiny surfaces. I hit a few parts and it looked great, like I sent them out to get anodized. The stuff is supposed to be hard and heat resistant too. Anyone have luck with this stuff, I wonder how it will hold up.

That stuff sounds awesome, would love to add more anodized parts to the bike, but do not want to spend a bunch of $$$

Keep us updated as to it's durability and your satisfaction level, really want to try it....let me know if it holds up after riding, also how much does it cost? Thanks :applause:

yea i used it for the timing plugs,rotator clamps, levers, etc...to see wat it would look like b4 i got the real parts....make sure u use the adhesive promoter to create a sticker surface, cause i did it without it on a set of bike levers, and it would be as if u were to color a metal surface with a reg school marker...which meant i needed to do more coats, and as a result there were some wet spots, which turned into darker red spots......but other than that, the metalcast stuff is great....did not scratch that easily......

also u can do non metal surfaces by getting the Dupli-color Ground Coat....which will turn a non metal surface to act like a metal surface, so the paint will stick on to it and leave an anodized image

I have done it to previous MX'ers that Ive owned, not that I am a HS'er, my bike is muddy and there is no need for extra bling.

I can't wait to get that stuff for levers and bolts and stuff. To all the people who whine that it scratches off, put on another freaking layer of the stuff. phew, glad I got that out of my system. There is also this stuff that i saw (can't remember the name) That is a do it yourself powdercoating kit. you spraw it on and stick it in your oven at 500* for a couple hours. I just wnt to see if it actually works. :applause:

That Paint is crap it will never look like the real thing.

That Paint is crap it will never look like the real thing.

Of course it won't, but it's looking great to me so far.:applause:

YZ250F007.jpg

I am just saying I tryed it on some small parts looked like crap if you have real anodized parts and chips off easy I hope it works out for you on that Head and pegs post a pic after your done with the bike looks nice :applause:

YZ250F007.jpg

That does look SWEET :lol:

Post finished pics!

YZ250F007.jpg

did u paint the frame with teh dupli color metalcast? or is that powder coated....the cylinger head cover is a good area...no rocks can get there to scratch it....only dust and some dirt....but that doesn't do much....the worse thing to paint would be the rims

Thanks guys. The frame is powdercoated and the shock spring is Yamaha blue. The other parts are Metalcast.

Wow that does look great. If you follow the directions and apply it to the correct surfaces it comes out smokin. So far I have no problems with chips or heat. I hit my tail pipe tip and ran it for about a 30 min ride with, no color change. I just wipe my parts off with a little thinner to clean them up and shoot a very thin coat. followed by a heaver coat min 30 min.

After a month of the my paint test the stuff still looks great. I just shot my rims. look at my garage photos, those rims took 1 hour to clean tape and shoot. oh yea and $6.00 in paint. The tail pipe end was painted over a month ago and the heat didnt even fry it. (sorry no photo of pipe tip). my sharks fin nailed a rock. and I mean it rode the rock hard. I did have to touch that up, but it was expected.

you do have to redo it though i redo mine every 3-4 weeks...... i'll post pics later

After a month of the my paint test the stuff still looks great. I just shot my rims. look at my garage photos, those rims took 1 hour to clean tape and shoot. oh yea and $6.00 in paint. The tail pipe end was painted over a month ago and the heat didnt even fry it. (sorry no photo of pipe tip). my sharks fin nailed a rock. and I mean it rode the rock hard. I did have to touch that up, but it was expected.

You have blue rims on a 450x! Any full bike shots?

YZ250F007.jpg

Looks nice.

Wish I had enough (or ANY) spare time to spend on unnecessary-but-fun projects like this.

BTW, the diy powder-coating things really don't work very well. And you'll piss of your wife when you start baking parts in the oven.

YZ250F007.jpg

nice!

that'd be cool if the rims held up to this.

You have blue rims on a 450x! Any full bike shots?

Yea I just added the shots, Im going to all black plasic next week it will be black and anodized blue.

you do have to redo it though i redo mine every 3-4 weeks...... i'll post pics later

I ride every other day. I only have touched up a shark fin that rode a rock. but it was so hard that if it was anodized it would of been ground off too. Easy and cheap to fix this way.

How are the rims holding up, I'm thinking that I might do mine as well as my hubs next weekend if they seem to hold up well (I'm going to have the wheels off anyways, so why not right?)

I'm guessing you took the spokes and tire off right? If not did you just tape it up really well? Might send you a PM when it comes time to try it.