Sign in to follow this  

Sag settings

Are you guys runnin the "static" sag wich is a diffrence of 3/4 of an inch between bike on the stand and bike resting on the ground? Or, do you run the "race" sag witch is a combo of bike on stand, bike on ground and rider on bike formula to come up with 3.9"? Im having a hard time with my suspension and am trying to get it to soften up. I am currently running the 3.9" formula but i herd of the new idea that static sag is all you need. Curently whith my bike on the ground i pick up the rear fender and let go the bike settles a couple of inches. This makes me wonder if im loosing some of the use of my rear shock beacuase its already settled that much so when i hit bumps its pretty harsh. Any input is awsome. Thnx guys:worthy:

You actually need both.

The static sag is set between 20-30mm ( aprox 3/4" ) so the bike, under it's own weight, will be in the right portion of the shock travel to begin with.

The race sag is set between 95-105mm ( aprox 4" ) so the bike, with the rider on it, will again be in the right portion of the shock travel as well as keep the bike balanced as you are riding.

When those two numbers "dial in" the shock spring is correct for the riders weight.

If you set the static sag and you get too much race sag ( 25mm static and 110mm race for instance ) the spring is to light and you need to get a heavier spring, if you set the static sag and get too little race sag ( 25mm static and 85mm race for instance ) the spring is too heavy and you need to get a lighter spring.

What do you weigh? That is the key here. You could be experiencing the "harsh" feeling if the spring is to heavy OR to light. If it's too heavy it will not allow the shock to work and you will be riding more of the spring, if its too light you will blow thru the travel and it will feel harsh as it blows thru and hits the bottom part of the stroke which is designed for bigger hits.

It sounds counter intuitive but if you are over 200lbs on a CRF450 ( assuming that since you posting in this forum ) a heavier spring will effectively make the shock feel "softer" as it is working as it's supposed to.

One other thing to consider is the setup of the rest of the suspension. If you don't get the sag right you will continue to have issues with the suspension regardless of what you do with the clickers. One you get the springs right then set the rest of the bike up and it will feel like a whole new bike.

Also do both ends of the bike at the same time. If you need a lighter shock spring for example and you only change the shock spring then the bike will be out of balance since you have the right spring in the rear and incorrect springs in the front. It can actually make things worse if you only do one end of the bike.

One last suggestion is to check out the suspension forum here and you should be able to find the right spring rates for your weight, bike and riding type.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1