Sign in to follow this  

Tires for TT500 (mx/enduro)

Hi- I'm new to older bikes and working on them. I keep getting different answers on tires for this bike (1978 TT500) locally.

Will most new MX and Enduro tires fit the rear and front wheels on this bike? I was looking at Metezeler MC4 tires online but

they now use xxx/xxx sizing (example: 110/100) instead of the inches on my current tires.

Thanks for the info I can't find an answer online!

THe third number is the important one. 110/100-18 is an 18 inch wheel which you probably have on back. Just go to google and type in metric tire conversion and you should be able to find a chart. a 110/100-18 is about a 5 inch wide tire I think. which you should have no problem with. Realy, just take a tape measure, measure between the forks for the front and the swingarm and shocks in the back (watch the chain too) then go to a tire store and measure the metric ones.

I believe that 110 means the tire has an 110mm sidewall and the 100 means that the width of the tire is 100 percent of the sidewall meaning its 110mm wide i could have this backwards but its something like that

Go to thumper talk store at the top of the page, scroll down about halve way down on the left hand side. Click on tire conversion chart. It will tell you what you want to know.

I believe that 110 means the tire has an 110mm sidewall and the 100 means that the width of the tire is 100 percent of the sidewall meaning its 110mm wide i could have this backwards but its something like that

Yes, that is backwards. The 110 is the width in millimeters. The 100 is saying that the side wall hieght is 100% of the width.

There is considerable difference between the brands. For example a Maxxis Desert IT 120/100-18 is almost exactly the same actual size as a Dunlop 756 110/100-18.

Yes, that is backwards. The 110 is the width in millimeters. The 100 is saying that the side wall hieght is 100% of the width.

There is considerable difference between the brands. For example a Maxxis Desert IT 120/100-18 is almost exactly the same actual size as a Dunlop 756 110/100-18.

Thanks I was pretty sure I had it backwards:thumbsup:

My dad had converted his xt500 to a full off road bike back in the 80's. he ran the biggest rear tire he could. the last tire we put on it before we ditched the frame, we put on a 5.30 wide tire which is like a 120/100-18 worked good, still didn't hook up worth a darm because of the torque but threw dirt like nobody's buisness.