Sign in to follow this  

Any Suggestions??? (skidplate removal)

I have the Works Connection skid plate on my 450x and I always take it off for oil changes. I probably don't need to, but it seems to help not make a huge mess. One of the allen head bolts on the rear is frozen and now stripped. Any suggestions on how I can get this out would be greatly appreciated. :lol::applause:

No matter what you'll have to be careful. That aluminum is going to be softer than the countersunk bolts in it. Do you have the plate off yet?

It will be tough but maybe you can get a hack saw blade in between and cut the bolt then drill and remove it?

Or if you have it off you can maybe make a C-clamp contraption that will put pressure on th allen side of the bolt and then twist the aluminum hook

I have the Works Connection skid plate on my 450x and I always take it off for oil changes. I probably don't need to, but it seems to help not make a huge mess. One of the allen head bolts on the rear is frozen and now stripped. Any suggestions on how I can get this out would be greatly appreciated. :lol::applause:

The same thing happen on my wifes 250X with the flatland skide plate. I wrote them and never heard back from them. I guess that's what you call great customer sevice. :lol:

If you don't have to remove it don't, just use a little carb cleaner on it after you change the oil and hose it off.

Same thing happened to me, stripped one out. Was able to get the skid plate off then take out the bolt like in a fashion similar to what arock said. I have a hardware store nearby that has replacement countersunk allen bolts that will work. This time I am not gonna crank them down so tight.

That skid plate is the mother of all armor. I would never use anything else.

If the plate is still on the bike, and this bolt is preventing it from coming off, you might be able to get at the head of the bolt with a dremmel and one of the small cutting wheels. If you have room to do this, you can cut a straight groove in the bolt head and use a flathead screwdriver on it. But I would soak it to death with penetrating oil for several hours before even getting the screwdriver out of the drawer.

If this doesn't work, a left-hand drill bit (available at most every auto parts store) could be drilled into the head. Once it grabs the bolt, it should back it out without having to use an extractor....if you cross all your fingers and toes!

Good luck with it.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it. I'm going riding in the morning so I just bolted it all back together. I will try again after the trip. Thanks again.

havent had this problem yet myself, but the left-hand drill/screw extractor would probably do the trick for ya.... once you do get it out and the threads cleaned back out (you might want to run a tap through them) try using some never-seize on the bolts when you put them back in. it helps keep the steel bolt from digging in to the aluminum blocks that holt the plate to the frame. i do this on my bike and never had them loosen up when theyre not supposed to and theyve always come out when needed :applause:

Neverseize, what a great product.

When this happened with my Moose skidplate, I used a Dremel tool and cut 2 flats on the allen head bolt, then used a pair of vise grips to remove the bolt.

A pain in the rump, but it worked.