Simple oil change question

I upgraded from a 250x to a 450x and don't have the owner's manual yet.

I emptied out the oil for the tranny (screw below the shifter on the left side), but can't find the drain for the gear side. On my 250x, the drain was on the bottom of the engine, but I can't seem to find one there.

I've already read about the 1 quart for the tranny side.

Thanks for helping me out!

Kevin

the one for the oil is right beneath the shift lever and the one for the tranny is recessed a little behind the shift lever. Hope this helps.

Thanks! It seems so painfully obvious now. I'm not so sure the previous owner ever changed the oil, by the looks of the stuff that's coming out of it. But I figure $4500 for an excellent looking '06 was a fair deal.

Uh oh. Hopefully it has low hours. You're probably fine. Welcome to the 450x club.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm pretty sure it had low hours, based upon the overall condition and the newish looking tires. I think he was a weekend warrior, bought less than a year ago. Had another 450x owner take a look and ride it before I purchased, so the risk is minimal.

Got any pics?

Now that you mention it...not yet! Looks like a very clean, stock 450x. I'll try to take a few tomorrow when I go riding.

Never let the looks fool you on a bike. I can make a bike with 100 hours on it look new.

Make sure you use a full quart in the trans side.

Welcome to the board, and your going to love the 450X.

Welcome To The Addiction!

welome. it is time for the mods now! radiator guards and jd jet kit are on the top of the list:thumbsup:

i personally inspected the bike before he bought it, i would say despite a couple minor scratches the bike was mint!

what about the other-side ?

i personally inspected the bike before he bought it, i would say despite a couple minor scratches the bike was mint!

:excuseme: ...on the outside. :p

... always good to have a bud take a look when buying. Second set of eyes always helps.

Welcome to the land of 450s! :applause:

Thanks! It seems so painfully obvious now. I'm not so sure the previous owner ever changed the oil, by the looks of the stuff that's coming out of it. But I figure $4500 for an excellent looking '06 was a fair deal.

Don't be fooled by the look of the oil. A mere 1 hour ride will turn your oil black. Clutch's are dirty things.

Don't be fooled by the look of the oil. A mere 1 hour ride will turn your oil black. Clutch's are dirty things.

My 450 will turn the oil black just looking at it wrong. I thought there was something wrong with it at first because I change the oil, took it for a quick ride and then changed the oil again and it looked horrible. It looks like that every time I change it though so I guess its normal. I hope? :applause::excuseme:

you must ride like crazy

what Oil do you use, mine looks new for hours. But I still change it

My 450 will turn the oil black just looking at it wrong. I thought there was something wrong with it at first because I change the oil, took it for a quick ride and then changed the oil again and it looked horrible. It looks like that every time I change it though so I guess its normal. I hope? :applause::excuseme:

Mine too.

I change mine ... ALL the time, and it's never clean or looking like it should be put back in the bottle and re-sold. It surely looks like it's got more than the miles I've put on the bike.... it does however depend on the type of oil I use. Some are more charcoal color when changed.

Mine too.

I change mine ... ALL the time, and it's never clean or looking like it should be put back in the bottle and re-sold. It surely looks like it's got more than the miles I've put on the bike.... it does however depend on the type of oil I use. Some are more charcoal color when changed.

Which comes out the cleanest and dirtiest looking?

Which comes out the cleanest and dirtiest looking?

Tranny for sure, dirtiest.

And, when using Motorex semi syn blend... it's the worst. Looks closer to graphite in color when changed.

I commonly use Spectro (Golden 4), and it's actually a bit cleaner.

(comparing similar miles and abuse between changes of course, however it does matter the initial color going in too... :applause: ).