A "NEW" FCR problem, well maybe lol

Got the FCR from an 03 E model put on my 06SM. Thanks kvo for that one.

Installed with jetting instructions from Eddie. Used all new factory parts to install this on my bike.(including new E cables)

Bike runs and idles and starts flawlessly. It rides so well. No bogging or hesitation what so ever. Well at least up to 70mph.

I would not say it will rotate the earth but the power is def better. :naughty: No where near a power wheelie in second but I am pleased as punch:crazy:

Now onto my problems. Bike rode awesome but then after about 10 miles or so the throttle started to hang or stick a bit off idle. Then when I got home I could watch the linkage and throttle wheel. If I wacked the throttle I could feel an initial hang up and then the throttle would stay high. On the way back down I could watch the throttle wheel winding it's way back down.

Gonna have to let it cool and look at it again. Do these e model carbs have a sticking issue? I found nothing on a search.

Next problem is the gas tank and petcock. The damn thing is a mother trucker to get passed the TPS and choke putting the tank back on. Once it is on the choke can't be pulled out as it hits the petcock.

I was riding on prime so if there is a smaller petcock out there I am all ears. I heard somethign about a WR yamaha unit.

Bottom line, had fun working on the bike today and just need to get this throttle binding figured out and then it's now time. :lol::applause:

PS, this carb exhibits no tendancies to stall ever. I can whack the throttle all day long riding or off the bike and it is smooth as glass and holy mother of throttle response.:lol:

Sorry for all my jibberish.:eek:

Take a look to see if the throttle wheel is hitting the frame. It normally takes quite a push to get teh carb in as far as possible into the manifold.

Make sure your cables aren't twisted or in an S shape anywhere. As always, if you ever have any problems, I'll be glad to work untill I fix it. A

You may want to check to see if the throllt wheel tab, right where the button on the end of the cable goes, check to see if it got bent during the install.

Take a look to see if the throttle wheel is hitting the frame. It normally takes quite a push to get teh carb in as far as possible into the manifold.

It is an E model carb. Fits like a glove. The wheel is a mile away from the frame thank goodness.

Make sure your cables aren't twisted or in an S shape anywhere. As always, if you ever have any problems, I'll be glad to work untill I fix it. A

You may want to check to see if the throllt wheel tab, right where the button on the end of the cable goes, check to see if it got bent during the install.

Thank kevin. This carb won't be a problem so no worries on your end.

Throttle cables went right in and no hanging in the wheel. I will check the rest of the run and see if it is somewhere else in the cable run. I know the cables are a little tight around my galfer brake hose at the master cyl. Maybe a little too much bend there. If that don't work I will have to take the tank back off and knock the cables off and run it. See if the problem goes away.

Sometimes, you can get one cable "pinched" and it will gum up the works. I've had the problem where the buttons on the end of the cable were stuck, the bent tab on the throllte wheel caused that though.

Keep me informed on what the problem might be. I'm always in to learn something new.

Is the internal linkage that raises the slide tight to the throttle shaft? There is a jack screw/lock screw arrangement there. (the Hollow nut with the screw in the middle). Check that out, then check all the external stuff for binding.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Gives me some ideas on where to look.

Hope to play with the carb again in the morning.

To easily determine if it is the cables or the carb, simply remove the cables from the carb, Manually rotate the throttle wheel. Does it turn smoothly? Also, while the cables are off the carb, rotate the throttle grip while lloking at the cable ends. Does it turn smoothly, the cables move in and out exactly as the throttle is moved? If both tests are ok, the issue may the final connection of the cables to the carb. Kink or twists.

Just removed the cables at the same time william typed all that lol.

The cables are fine. It is in the carb somewhere. Feel it stick off the idle stop and then it feels binding.

I just hope I can fix it without taking the carb out lol. That big ole carb is a PIA to get in and out. :applause:

Here is a pic of the very carb I put in.

142230.jpg

Every time I've had a problem with the throttle hanging, it's because the grip is getting caught against the handguard or because the glue seeped out and gummed things up.

I'm pretty much having the same problem.If I turn the idle down,it dosen't hang up,but will stall.If I bump the idle up to where it wont stall, it hangs up kinda high then eventually drops to normal.Could to c.e. be causing this?

How the hell do you get to the fuel screw with the engine running?Who makes an extended screw for the E model FCR ?

I'm pretty much having the same problem.If I turn the idle down,it dosen't hang up,but will stall.If I bump the idle up to where it wont stall, it hangs up kinda high then eventually drops to normal.Could to c.e. be causing this?

How the hell do you get to the fuel screw with the engine running?Who makes an extended screw for the E model FCR ?

Sounds like your pilot jet is too small. You should go up one size.

Several sources for a good fuel screw. Get the Keintech, you can either get it direct:

http://www.kientech.com/

I also think the TT store carriesd the Keintech for a E carb.

To access the stocker, you would need a 90 degree carb tool like Motion pro offers:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/90_degree_1-4_hex_driver/

Pricey, still a pain to use, esp. with a running, vibrating engine. So get the extended FS.

I don't think it is the same problem.

Mine is more a mechanical binding. I am hoping it is something that is just dried out and needs some lube put on it.

I don't think it is the same problem.

Mine is more a mechanical binding. I am hoping it is something that is just dried out and needs some lube put on it.

I am sure that is all it is. A careful disassembly of the throttle shaft, inspection of the slide should fix you right up.

Well here she is in all her glory.

149070.jpg

It would appear that I had mulitple problems stacking up to create this binding.

The first thing I noticed was that rolling the throttle wheel off it would get to a stiff spot and then hit the stop. What I found was rolling the idle speed knob 90* or so it would go away. If I kept rolling it another 90* or so it would come back. Not quite sure what would cause that and I could not see anything. Basically I set idle speed in a position where the throttle wheel would snap back. Working great now.

The hanging idle is all from the throttle cables. It took quite a bit of finagling to get them to cooperate. The E cables are a touch short IMO but with very carefull routing they work well. I still just get an RCH of hang with a full right turn of the bars to the steering stop. I am hoping some of this will go away as the cables break in. It is very slight. Straight ahead is fine and left turn is fine.

Now it runs great and the throttle snaps back without hanging.

The proof will be if it stays good with a full heat soak after a long ride.

AND THE KICKER IS I CAN'T RIDE IT NOW because my dumb ass broke the POS galfer front brake hose at the MC screwin with the throttle cables.

Oh and btw I took off the coast enrichener. Much nicer.

Had to modify my choke knob a bit too but at least now I have a nice clean vacuum hook up for my stock petcock.

Thanks for all your help fellas

Glad you got it sorted.

Odd about the idle speed screw causing it to hang. Is the threaded end bent? You will probably want to to get S/SM throttle cables as they work better with the FCR.

Front brake line failed??? Another reason so many have putooeid at Galfer?

You have to use E cables with an E carb due to the angle of the dangle at the carb. :applause:

You know, I did not look to see of the end of the idle adjuster was wobbling like it was bent.

I will check that in a bit.

As far as the brake line, I broke it trying to bend it a few degrees.

Word to the wise, it don't bend like a stock one will at the banjo and it took very LITTLE force to break it. :applause:

It was on the bike when I bought it. Gonna look for a stocker or maybe a moose if they will sell a front only.

Odd that the cables are such a tight fit then. Do you have different bars on the bike? There are outfits that make custom cables, you could order E ones that are two inches longer.