My bike died on me today.

Last week i was having a blast on my bike, it felt great.

But on Sunday a lot of whitish smoke was coming out of the exhaust.

On the previous day i had closed the gas and burnt all the gas that was in the carb before storing it. So i tought that it was just that the bike was cold or something.

I went riding for a while and everything was ok at that point.

Well today i poured new gas in it and a lot opf white smoke was coming out odf the exhaust and from a hose that is on top of the left side of the case, in front of the spark plug.

I warmed the bike well and on the test ride the bike had no bottom or middle power, and when the revs were high the power kicked in hard... but nowhere near the usual power.

The motor sounded pretty strange.

Does anyone know what might this be?

I tought that it could be the rings. A friend of mine says that maybe the powervalves are full of carbon buildup.

Why would the bike get messed up so suddenly?

BTW it is an 06 KX250.

Thanks guys.

Pull the front pipe and look up the exhaust port with a flashlight. Make sure the piston looks good and no signs of trouble. Could be the power valves, but I doubt it would happen suddenly like that.

alot of white smoke could be a sign of a blown head gasket too.....

You were buring coolant, probably your head gasket was leaking or something? Maybe you cooked it?

i dont have a clue

but you have my sympathy

that must stink

hope you can get it fixed

white smoke=coolant. Its most likely the head gasket.

white smoke=coolant. Its most likely the head gasket.

Another point to add, you should also put in a new piston and rings while you are in there, and clean out your power-valve (Im pretty sure thats what they are called)

its a 2 stroke. buy a 100 buck top end kit, slap it in and go.

its a 2 stroke. buy a 100 buck top end kit, slap it in and go.

Gotta love two strokes :applause: quick,cheap rebuild:applause:

white smoke usually means coolant is burning but something in your post really jumped out at me.

You turn the gas off and keep the bike running till it runs itself out of gas????:worthy::eek::lol: :lol: :applause::lol::ride:

:naughty: You are creating a lean condition and possibly damaging your motor with such actions. Lean conditions create alot of heat with not enough lubrication and in your case, ZERO lubrication (ie. fuel). The excess heat can warp the head and cause the gaps with the head gastket, which in turn can create the coolant leak you are possibly experiencing.

If you want to drain the gas from in the carb, , shut the bike down, turn off the gas, use the proper wrench and just take the time to open the drain at the bottom of the carb.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Itought that the run the bike with the gas key off until it runs out of gas was not a bad thing to do.

I started doing that because i read it here. Then i asked if something bad could happen to the bike if i did it and they said no.

Well i learned the bad way.

The bike is already in the shop. I hope i get to ride soon. The lousy thing is that you cant just shop for parts down here in Mexico wjhere i live. I have to order them and wait till they get here. :applause:

Just to get it straight the gasket is a litle rubber seal right?

Like for example when you take out the clutch cover the gasket is a rubber strip with contours to the cover.

Now what does the head gasket look like or where is it placed?

BTW: Where is the carb draining bolt located?

The bolt is located on the bottom of the float bowl. I don't know what size yours is because I don't own any Kawi's.

your 250 is a a two stroke, right?

Thanks for all of your advice.

Itought that the run the bike with the gas key off until it runs out of gas was not a bad thing to do.

I started doing that because i read it here. Then i asked if something bad could happen to the bike if i did it and they said no.Well i learned the bad way.

The bike is already in the shop. I hope i get to ride soon. The lousy thing is that you cant just shop for parts down here in Mexico wjhere i live. I have to order them and wait till they get here. :applause:

Just to get it straight the gasket is a litle rubber seal right?

Like for example when you take out the clutch cover the gasket is a rubber strip with contours to the cover.

Now what does the head gasket look like or where is it placed?

This would be a very different scenario if the bike were a 4-stroke, which does not rely on the fuel passing through the carb for it's crank/piston lubrication. Since it's a 2-stroke, it does need this lubrication, and, like someone said, you're effectively running the piston with ZERO lubrication, if only for a second or two.

This would be a very different scenario if the bike were a 4-stroke, which does not rely on the fuel passing through the carb for it's crank/piston lubrication. Since it's a 2-stroke, it does need this lubrication, and, like someone said, you're effectively running the piston with ZERO lubrication, if only for a second or two.

I dont think that is much the case... as someone explained to me before the lubrication comes from the oil residue, or oil coating that it´s already on the bike´s motor.

For example if you forget and ride the bike with straight gas it will take a while till something bad happens.

What the guy said and it sound very true it´s that since i was riding the bike so lean. There wasnt enough gas to cool things down.

So it was the gasless effect what affected.

In a 4 stroke it would be the same without the engine cooling effect of the gas.

If it had something to do with the oil or lubrication we would be talking about piston, rod or head damage; and it seems that only the gasket was messed up by it.