Sign in to follow this  

Clutch basket question - 2002 cr250

Hey everyone - was hoping I could get some advice on my clutch. The last time I was riding I was going up a hill and heard sort of a strange vibrating noise when I used my clutch. I stopped and turned around and came back down. Back down on the flats I tested out the clutch on my way back to the truck...no more noises. Anyway, I decided to call it a day and go home to check out the clutch.

After taking it apart, all the clutch plates and springs are in good shape and meet the specs in the service manual. The inner part of the clutch basket turns smoothly. My question is with the outer part of the basket. Should there be any play in the basket to move back and forth. It has a very small amount of play. Just want to make sure I don't overlook something before putting it back together. All parts on the clutch are stock, with the exception of aluminum plates replaced with steel.

Thanks for the help!

Hey everyone - was hoping I could get some advice on my clutch. The last time I was riding I was going up a hill and heard sort of a strange vibrating noise when I used my clutch. I stopped and turned around and came back down. Back down on the flats I tested out the clutch on my way back to the truck...no more noises. Anyway, I decided to call it a day and go home to check out the clutch.

After taking it apart, all the clutch plates and springs are in good shape and meet the specs in the service manual. The inner part of the clutch basket turns smoothly. My question is with the outer part of the basket. Should there be any play in the basket to move back and forth. It has a very small amount of play. Just want to make sure I don't overlook something before putting it back together. All parts on the clutch are stock, with the exception of aluminum plates replaced with steel.

Thanks for the help!

Yes there is always a bit of play in the clutch basket. The play is felt because of clearance between the gears that drive the clutch. its called drivetrain lash.

As to your vibration, check your chain and sprockets, and your motor mounts.

Maico...thanks for the reply and advice. I didn't think about the motor mounts...I will check those. Thanks again.