Sign in to follow this  

Smoke out of exhaust after oil change

I did an oil change today and put in about 1.8qts without changing the filter. After getting home from a 300mile ride today I noticed quite a bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Did I put in to much oil? The isn't milky so I don't think it's the head gasket. Though I can't tell the color of the smoke at night. But it seems to be more blueish, and the smoke smells oily.

I checked the dip stick and the oil level was above a bit above the hash marks which seems high, especially after just shutting it off. The exhaust seems to have a white residue. Soo anyone have any ideas? I hope I just put to much oil and it's not a big deal. But it seems weird that it didn't do it right away, only after the ride :applause:

Any help would be much appreciated.

could be wrong but i belive its 1600 witout filter change and 1800 with a filter change (i woud have to check but if you have to much(like i did after a change) just undo the case oil level check bolt(forget proper name for it)its in the manual and bleed out some then check again

good tip i picked up was when you run up to fuel up stop do fill up then check oil level before paying

if you change your oil change your oil filter :applause:

now since you didnt change filter im curious if you pulled BOTH drain bolts....one from motor and one from frame

Yeah I drained both completely.

I know, I usually change the oil filter along with the oil but this time nobody had one in stock and I was going on a long ride. I figured I might as well just go ahead and change it before the trip.

I think I overfilled it a bit last time, so maybe by putting to much in this time as well without filling changing the filter it was just way to much for it to handle. The weird thing as I was saying is that it didn't start smoking until after the trip. Though my friends did say they smelt burning oil a few times.

The oil isn't foamy, so there's not water getting into there. Nor is there oil in the radiator. So it doesn't seem to be a blown head gasket. When you put your hand in the smoke your skin feels a bit oily after.

So where is this "oil check bolt"? The only bolts i know of are the frame and case drains.

ITS THERE TO CHECK IF YOUR BIKE SITS FOR A LONG IME (TO MAKE SURE THERES ENOUGH OIL BEFORE TURNING BIKE OVER)

disrgad caps typed it before i look at it wasnt going to type it again.

img0801ov5.jpg

disregraud funny linkage i have both brake and shifter on right side cos i am a left leg above the knee amputee this is also a temp patch so can ride it till my new shed is finished being built then i will do a proper job (hence the rust)

Well I will say, no, no you don't. Just too much oil in my opinion.

Let's keep our fingers crossed! :applause:

Thanks 000ShaDoW000!

So as a side note. When properly filled, where should the oil be on the stick? Do you measure just dipping the stick in, or measure by screwing it in?

You measure thusly:

Run bike for about five minutes.

Shut off and wait about three minutes

Unscrew dipstick, wipe off and just place in the neck, do not screw it in.

Full is to the top of the cross hatches, too low is at the bottom of the cross hatches.

could be wrong but i belive its 1600 witout filter change and 1800 with a filter change (i woud have to check but if you have to much(like i did after a change) just undo the case oil level check bolt(forget proper name for it)its in the manual and bleed out some then check again

good tip i picked up was when you run up to fuel up stop do fill up then check oil level before paying

1700ml without filter

1800ml with filter change

1900ml engine overhaul

i would recommend all to change oil filter after every 2nd oil change, at least.

Well it's still smoking :lol:

After riding around for a good 5 minutes I brought it in and at idle blipping the throttle blueish smoke is coming out. I also just checked the inside of the exhaust and it's all oily. So it is oil, and not the head gasket. It only seems to do this when it's nice and hot though, like fan on hot. This morning after it sitting all night at idle it wasn't smoking. But after heating up it was.

Soo piston rings? Valves?

The bike's got about 10,000 miles on it.

...:applause:

hmmm i am no expert with 4 stroke motors...to me it sounds mabey like rings...but at 10,000 miles on the dr-z not likely...you must be riding hard! :applause:

sorry im not much help

kudos on hooking up that linkage for the front break.nice job:thumbsup:

i think its just overfilled and only blows through when oil is hot takes a long time to heat up oil to hot i have been on short runs then come home and done oil and its still not real hot.

like i said i run up to gas station to fill up and after i have filled bike before paying i check oil level remember bike must be upright to check oil if you check it on stand its out dosent take much 100mls is nothing.

My SM began smoking following a 1500 mile trip which included prolonged high speed (80 mph) highway miles, and race track like riding at Deal's Gap. I did not check the oil during the trip, but noticed not much drained out during an oil change after I got back. The bike began smoking and used a quart of oil in the next 900 miles. I found oil in the airbox under the filter from blow by during the hard riding i was doing.

Here is the thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433193

I put in a big bore, and did not inspect the bottom end since I didn't have the tools or know how, and this was the result:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455209

I sent the engine to Eddie, and went with the stroker after he was able to salvage the cylinder. The bike is now a 470cc tractor, with great torque using 16/41 gearing.

If you find piston/cylinder damage, go for a complete tear down. Don't assume as I did that the bottom end is ok.

Not sure if it was covered, but did you look for oil in the airbox? If you fill with too much oil it can run back into the airbox and get sucked back into the engine, making it smoke... especially if you wheelie around at 12-oclock!

Well it seems that the Rotella T 5w-40 is just too thin for my bike now. We figure that once the bike was very hot, and the oil reached it's thinest viscosity it was seeping past the rings. I've been running this oil for the last few changes, and all of my engines for the last couple of years. But, it seems as though it's time to move on to something thicker, at least for this engine. Rotella 15-w-40 it is!

We also went ahead and checked the valves which I was a bit worried about. I'm happy to report they we're in spec! The spark plug didn't have oil all over it which was a good sign. Everything in the engine looked great! The exhaust was a bit on the tight side, but within spec for sure. Something to definitely check out in a few thousand miles though and see if they have moved. It was a hell of a lot easier to do than I thought it would be.

After buttoning her back up with a new spark plug and a belly full of fresh Rotella 15-40 oil I started her up and took her around the block. After getting "fan on" hot at idle after the cruise NO SMOKE! :applause:

Big thanks to my friends even though I know they don't read this forum heh! Couldn't have done it without them. It's great to have good buds! :lol:

...I started her up and took her around the block. After getting "fan on" hot at idle after the cruise...

You seem to get "fan on" hot often. In 4,000 miles of hard driving my fan has only come on once--after prolonged driving in slow traffic (under 5 mph).

Is is possible your engine could be overheating due to running too lean, a radiator problem, or some other cause?