Sign in to follow this  

Ok...Problem

About 3 yaers back i rode a kx 125 and i loved it. mostly trail riding and some hair scrambles. i was planning on getting back into riding when i get financialy stable and i was gonna go after a kx250f. i just hear horror stories of crazy maintenance, motors getting blown or jacked up, and crazy expenses. i didnt do sheet to my 125 smoker and that beast was on time! plugs, gear oil, and filter were my maintenance. I also have no clue how the thumpers work. Freekin clueless. I plan on getting 2 possibly 3 bikes. should i just go get a smoker to get me goin again and then a 4 stroke later or just go after the 4 stroke now and a smoker later?:applause:

I have the same problem. :applause:

But...you have a bike. or you do mean you dont like your 4 stroke.

I just dont like the 450. After riding a my friends 125 and 250f my lap times were actually lower then on my 450. I was a little quicker on the 250f but i dont know if i can keep affording the maintence on the 4 stroke so im thinkin about the 125 2 smoke.

I just dont like the 450. After riding a my friends 125 and 250f my lap times were actually lower then on my 450. I was a little quicker on the 250f but i dont know if i can keep affording the maintence on the 4 stroke so im thinkin about the 125 2 smoke.

on the 125 you have more usable power for your skill. and it's easier for you to toss around. thats why you are quicker. wait till you get better and a bit older. like with me i'm 5'9 145 lbs. the 125 is fine for me. the probs i run into is up hill sugar sand. i have to have it pinned the whole time to get through it. i was thinking of a 250 though. wondered if i would like the extra power. havnt ridden 1 before.

I just don't understand the craziness about maintenance on the 4 strokes. :applause: Keep the filter clean, change your oil and adjust your valves every 15 to 20 hrs of hard riding. There is rarely top end replacing and the horror stories are melodramatic.

I just don't understand the craziness about maintenance on the 4 strokes. :applause: Keep the filter clean, change your oil and adjust your valves every 15 to 20 hrs of hard riding. There is rarely top end replacing and the horror stories are melodramatic.

That is my thoughts. You don't have to do top ends nearly as often on a thumper. I don't see where the maintenance cost is more expensive on a 4 stroke, if anything, it is cheaper.