Sign in to follow this  

Air snorkel removal

I am going to take the snorkel off in the next few days as well as take the baffle out and re jet. To remove the snorkel how is it attached I've heard that it is rivetted on, if so is it fine just to drill out the rivets? Thanks !

P.S. anyone have any suggestions on what to try for jetting I was thinking of going to a 140 is this enough?

If your gonna take the snorkel out and the baffle you better start at least at a 152-155 main.The snorkel is riveted in but it's best just to cut the whole top out of the airbox.:applause:

If it's cold in Ontario you might want to start with a 160-165 main.

The rivets don't need to be cut if you just want the rubber snorkel off, you can leave that peice of metal on and rivets in.

It was quite awhile ago I cut out my airbox,but seems to me that the 06 wasn't rubber like the 230.I thought it was hard plastic but if it was rubber the hole that it fit in was no better or any bigger.

I am going to take the snorkel off in the next few days as well as take the baffle out and re jet. To remove the snorkel how is it attached I've heard that it is rivetted on, if so is it fine just to drill out the rivets? Thanks !

P.S. anyone have any suggestions on what to try for jetting I was thinking of going to a 140 is this enough?

Here's an alternate method---pull the rubber top of the snorkel off leaving the metal in place, then cut the openings in the airbox larger lengthwise towards the front until they are about 2-1/2 times original size. Use a 3/8 inch drill to add some holes (10 to 12) in the stepped-down area in front of and underneath the battery tray. I found this lets in plenty of air--I'm using a 165 main jet with an aftermarket slip-on muffler---and minimizes the amount of dirt getting onto the air filter. With the stock muffler and the quiet tip uncorked, I'd say 145 to 150 on the main, depending on altitude and temperature. I'd advise removing the air filter and sealing the air boot with tape before doing any cutting. This method allows the air box to be easily returned to stock condition if you ever wanted to.

I just did this not too long ago. I first pulled the rubber snorkel cover off, then i cut a hole in the top of the airbox using a utility knife. The hole turned out to be about 4 x 4. I started where the rivets were and stopped about where the battery sits. That seemed to be plenty big enough for me. So if you go that way there really isn't a need to drill out the rivets but it doesn't hurt either...whatever you want to do. I then put a 160 main in and a new red needle from the jd jetting kit. I haven't gotten a chance to go riding with it yet, but the bike seems to start much faster and it just sounds healthier when i run it in the garage. I'll give an update when i get out...if this snow ever melts.