2 strokes and 4 strokes whats goin on???

ok i went to a ktm dealer ship today and i was gonna look at the new 07 125sx and the salesmen told me that 2 strokes are a dieing breed and every motorcycle company is gonna stop makin there 2 strokes. is this true??

should i not even bother with the 2 strokes if no one is gonna make or race em any more? he told me my best bet was the 250sxf. just wounderding whats going on with the AMA. ive go no clue.:applause:

Thanks

tyler

Rumor has it that Honda wont be offering any 2-strokes for the '08 model year.

I would be very much surprised if Yamaha and KTM didnt have any 2-strokes in their lineup, because there are people who are going back to 2-strokes because of the high maintenance costs of a 4-stroke.

It sounds to me like the salesman is feeding you a line of BS so that you will buy a thumper that they have on the showroom floor instead of ordering a smoker.

kawi stopped making the 125...but still have the mini's and the 250...the 2 stroke have too many restrictions on them....but mostly cause the pollute the environment b.c they are not fuel efficient like the thumpers...i dnt see 2 strokes coming back in the MX scene

It sounds to me like the salesman is feeding you a line of BS so that you will buy a thumper that they have on the showroom floor instead of ordering a smoker.

Yeah, don't let him talk you out of buying a 2 stroke. Honda will stop making them after 08 and I have heard rumors Kawasaki will be next, however ktm is still updating their two strokes so I doubt they'll be stopping production anytime soon. Plus, if you beat someone on a 250f with a 125 smoker you will feel very good about yourself :applause:

kawi stopped making the 125...but still have the mini's and the 250...the 2 stroke have too many restrictions on them....but mostly cause the pollute the environment b.c they are not fuel efficient like the thumpers...i dnt see 2 strokes coming back in the MX scene

I saw this http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/ on another forum and can't help wondering if they can incorporate this into a dirt bike because then they would have that awesome two stroke power but without the pollution...

If your into MX the 4-st is really the best way to compete. If you off road race like GNCC or similar there is documented proof the 2-st is still king.

DR mag compared lap times in a group of GNCC and WORCS events run during 2006.

GNCC B and C class the 250 2-st average lap time was faster. Much faster. To the tune of over 3-min per lap (B class) and almost 5-min per lap (C-class) compared to a 450 4-st. That's enough time to fall and get up more than once and still stay ahead. The 250 4-st was much closer but still behind the 250 2-st.

In WORCS the 250 2-st was always ahead. The C-class 250f and 450f were almost identical.

Regardless, the numbers don't lie.

I love the power of the 4-st but the maint. is a real pain and cost $$. Here's the best way to describe it.

If anyone would like actual copies of the text PM me with a email address.

here is the deal:

no more honda 2 strokes cause they think that being 4 stroke purists will make them the best. So honda sucks, even though I own 2. I regret that.

Yammie is still good with 2 strokes

KTM is still good with 2 strokes

Kawasaki sucks cause their 125 isn't here any more. I don't know about the 250.

I don't know much about suzuki cause I don't pay attention to them cause I don't like them.

If your into MX the 4-st is really the best way to compete. If you off road race like GNCC or similar there is documented proof the 2-st is still king.

DR mag compared lap times in a group of GNCC and WORCS events run during 2006.

GNCC B and C class the 250 2-st average lap time was faster. Much faster. To the tune of over 3-min per lap (B class) and almost 5-min per lap (C-class) compared to a 450 4-st. That's enough time to fall and get up more than once and still stay ahead. The 250 4-st was much closer but still behind the 250 2-st.

In WORCS the 250 2-st was always ahead. The C-class 250f and 450f were almost identical.

Regardless, the numbers don't lie.

I love the power of the 4-st but the maint. is a real pain and cost $$. Here's the best way to describe it.

If anyone would like actual copies of the text PM me with a email address.

+1 :applause:

ALL 2 strokes will be gone by 2010. They are old school. If you want to be competative in most any race you will get a 4 stroke. I changed over from a smoker to a thumper and do not regret it one bit, I only wish I would have changed sooner

4-strokes are better because of the AMA. If you had to run a 250F against 250 2-strokes you might not think that thumpers are that great.

When your thumper grenades and you have to pay over $1800 to get it rebuilt, you wont think its quite so great.

If the market goes to all 4-stroke I think its going to price a lot of people right out of the sport. I'll ride a 4-stroke if thats my only choice, but I would much prefer a 2-stroke because they are a lot more affordable.

ok thanks but i have one more question

im planning on racing and my bike choice is between a 125 sx and 250sxf

i dont kno what to do

can any one give me pros and cons

will i even be able to race the 125 2 stroke because of everyone trying to get them banned because of pollution and will the ama even let them race 2-3 years down the road??

i need some help