fuel leak/ Carb Prob? '01 CR250

so here is the prob...have had my 2001 cr250 sitting in the garage for about 2 months. This week I cleaned it up, got it ready to ride. Today I turn the gas on, and gas runs out the bottom of the overflow tube coming out of the carb. I turn gas off and no leak. Turn on and it just streams out?

All lines are hooked up, is there a Carb problem? I never messed with the carb and it ran fine the last time I rode it. It has been a cold couple of months if that matters. Any help is appreciated!!! thanks

I'm not an expert in this area, but typically if gas keeps running out of the overflow tubes there is a float problem. If the float is not adjusted correctly the valve will not close off the flow of gas into the carb and it will overflow. Not sure what would have changed since the last time you rode. You may want to open the carb and make sure the float is adjusted correctly. If you have a service manual it will show how to do it. Good luck!

tap on the bowl a few times to unstick the float...most times, this works...:applause:

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for the input....I am as far from a motorcycle mechanic as they come, but I had enough braincells left to figure it might be a carb prob....I am going to go out and tap on the carb, see if it helps....a little intimidated when iot comes to tearing into the carb though....Any advice if the tapping does not work??? I will update, thanks again:applause:

take the carb apart and manually move it down :applause:

mine is doing the same thing. i took it apart to rejet. put it back together and it leaks like mad. too lazy to fix it.

no luck, still leaking :lol:

will have to drop it off at the mechanics house tommorow, hate messing with carbs :lol:

thanks again for your help :applause:

all you need to do for a stuck float, if the tapping doesn't work, is pull the carb. pull the float bowl off, then the float with the float needle. and clean it all real good with carb cleaner.

reassemble, then put the carb back on. it's nothing complicated.

Checking/setting the float level is one of those preventative maintenance things and should be checked regularly. Rarely does a bike come off the showroom floor or out of the crate with the correct float level. The guys on TV have theirs checked constantly. When you're ready click here -> How to set your float level.

Nice write up on proper float level adjustment. I did not realize how the volume of fuel impacted the pressure and flow of fuel, etc.

Get the float right.

The way I resolved this issue was to confirm that the float needle was sealing. It was. The needle valve was the problem.

I removed the black ring and replaced it with a Viton ring. Makes a much better seal.

You can get them at your auto store for less than $5.00. They are made for injectors so tolerating gas is not a worry.

Test your seal by connecting a tube to your inlet port on your carb with the float/needle assembly installed. Turn the carb upside down and suck on the tube. You should not be able to get any air to pass. 

Get the float right.

The way I resolved this issue was to confirm that the float needle was sealing. It was. The needle valve was the problem.

I removed the black ring and replaced it with a Viton ring. Makes a much better seal.

You can get them at your auto store for less than $5.00. They are made for injectors so tolerating gas is not a worry.

Test your seal by connecting a tube to your inlet port on your carb with the float/needle assembly installed. Turn the carb upside down and suck on the tube. You should not be able to get any air to pass. 

holy old post resurrection Batman!!!

9 years old!