Sign in to follow this  

Headlight adjustment is badly needed!

I have an 05 450X (bought used) and have had the privilege of coming home late a few times. I knew that would happen, and that is part of my love for the X over the R, because I have a headlight.

The problem is that the headlight is not as useful as it could be. My headlight shines too far upward. On a flat trail, I can't see anything. If a hill is coming, I can see it 50 yards away. The light seems plenty bright.

Does the light have any adjustment to it? I cannot find it.

A secondary question is: Does the headlamp shine upward like that because I am sagging too far in the rear suspension? I suspect that the rear suspension is set for stock (160 pounds) but I weigh 230 pounds. It seems a little soft, but I usually don't mind that, because I like to be sitting on the seat a lot. Should I be trying to lift that rear suspension?

:applause::lol: :lol:

Now I feel stupid. The screw looks like it is a simple mounting screw just like the ones on top. Thank you very much for pointing out the obvious.

Now I see, said the blind man.

your correct the stock headlight is pretty much worthles for night riding. it will get you home eventually, but i wouldnt call it much more than a flash light.

see my other thread titled "installed my dual HIDS" if you want to see some real lighting.

Yeah, i've found it not to be as bright as it could be. I have a Honda ATV and it's lights make it seem like it's day light out (almost). Is there anyway to get a brighter light without haveing to change the headlight shroud?

god, i wish people would stop posting this information!

its a blue light bulb! it makes people think it has more output because it looks whiter.

a 35 watt incondescent bulb is as bright as any other 35 watt incondescent bulb.

there are some factors that affect the output but not significant enough to make a big difference.

if you want more light run a higher wattage bulb. the stock stator can run about 50 watts, however i dont know of any direct replacement bulbs with higher wattage that will directly fit into the lense.

Yes... AS... you should know better! :applause:

"Twice the candlepower" Can only happen when you boost the wattage of the bulb and provide the ample amount of juice to run it at full tilt.

a 35W bulb... is a 35W bulb, no matter what you do to it. :lol:

An HID is $330 online for a BajaDesigns, and then to re-wind your stator... another $150. Do this... and you'll be more than impressed. But beware, you'll blink oncoming vehicles.

Looks like I struck a nerve...Why so PO'ed??? Is it because you don't understand the technology behind it or because you spent a fortune on the HIDs only to find out these would've done the trick?

The PIAA lights are running at 4000K, whereas standard Halogen run at 3200K. They put out light equal to a 65W Halogen light, but only pull 35W.

They do have a blue coating on the lens, but that doesn't discount anything.

Do your homework, don't just rant.

Do you know anyone who has tried them?? I didn't think so.

um ok since your all done trying to impress us all with your logic i already did my homework, the numbers you refer to are color temps in Kelvin. your thinking about Lumens.

if you want to educate yourself on facts rather than making yourself look stupid perhaps a simple read found here will clear things up for you.

http://www.sizes.com/units/color_temperature.htm

or here

http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/information/whatiscolourtemp.htm

My HID's are 5600K (more blue than halogen) and have 1850 lumens

if you want to know alittle about Lumens heres the formula

lumpow.gif

as you can see it has everything to do with the watts and the efficiency of the device creating the light. and if a 100 watt incandescent bulb has 1700 lumens than each ONE of my HID's has more than that. in fact for 30 watts each im getting nearly the equivelent of 150 watts x2 = 300 watts worth of what it would take from an incandescent light to produce.

just like i stated you cannot get 65 watts for 35 watts, that doesnt even make sence! obviously you know nothing about light's other than the fact they light up!

what are watts? its simple a measure of heat or work done in an electrical circut. the formula is volts x resistance = watts

in this case its a measure of heat dissapated from the filament. to say you get 65 watts of heat from a bulb generating 35 watts of heat is contridictry in itself just by saying that. it makes 0 sence. how can you generate nearly twice the heat energy with the same heat? now if your talking HID or Fluorescent or even an LED which produce light in a totally different way thats a different story because they generate FAR less heat (also measured in watts) but have more light output. i have a compact Fluorescent light that uses 13 watts of energy that has the equivelnt of a 60 watt bulb (850 lumens)

your trophy blue tinted bulb is nothing more than a blub that looks whiter, not brighter as stated by the manufacturer directly off the website and i quote>>

Using Xtreme White Technology for improved clarity and XTRA Technology for greater performance, the Xtreme White bulbs give a cool white light output. This white light gives the rider better color recognition for better depth perception and contrast than conventional halogen lamps, making your ride safer and more enjoyable.

notice the usage of the word COLOR and CLARITY sure the manufacturer says you get 60 watts of light for 35 watts, but just like you they cannot bend the rules of physics any more than you can, but to convice someone to buy a bulb for almost 30 dollars veres the original replacement for about 2 bucks you have to make it sound pretty good to make a sale. fortunatly there is a fool born every minute who didnt take the time to do the research and happily handed over 30 bucks on a gimik! talk about wasting your money! ha! ha!

as yourself this question, would you rather make 30 dollars from 1000 people or make 1000 dollars on 1 person? from Piaa's perspective its a lot easier to find a 1000 people like you who would spend 30 bucks on somthing they think is better verses finding someone with 1000 bucks who understands the difference between a blue painted bulb and a real light setup. fortunatly i didnt have to spend any where near that much.

looks like i struck a nerve with you! let me give you a little advice, ive delt with a lot of people like you in the past. you accuse me of not doing my homework when in fact you yourself are the one without the technical background to back up your claims.

first of all i have a degree in electronics, i would be willing to bet i know more on the subject than 90% of the people on this site. so before you go off at the mouth about what you clearly don't understand, dont assume you know more than anyone else. unless you have the education or have done the homework your in no position to tell anyone anything unless you really know what your talking about.

... not that I support this kind of thing (or how it becomes personal), but DAAAAAMN, that was an informative and very accurate post by BM! And I too get very discouraged by people who buy lights because of marketing or lack of knowledge. Similar to PIAA, is the SilverStar... and the people who will re-wire their headlights on a vehicle to get more light output.... amazing. Just install HID. DUH!!

I guess something that sounds so simple, can't be.

(some good info here if your confused by formulas)

snack.gif

looks like i struck a nerve with you! let me give you a little advice, ive delt with a lot of people like you in the past. you accuse me of not doing my homework when in fact you yourself are the one without the technical background to back up your claims.

first of all i have a degree in electronics, i would be willing to bet i know more on the subject than 90% of the people on this site. so before you go off at the mouth about what you clearly don't understand, dont assume you know more than anyone else. unless you have the education or have done the homework your in no position to tell anyone anything unless you really know what your talking about.

Ooh, looks like someone's back up on his high-horse after getting his ego kicked to the curb. Remember?? I know you do.

As I've told you before BM, you're condescending little holier-than-thou attitude only makes you appear insecure and childish. You're not that rad so get over yourself.

-The 10%

• Like 2

If PIAA "super whites" truly are what they say they are...

...they why not more people using that bulb?!

They aren't. It's mostly marketing.

I have to confess... I don't want to get into the middle of the two debates. But I've been down this road, and shoot... only about 10yrs ago. I had a Banshee with a 240W stator and a battery. I ran (4) Hella Rallye lights on the quad. I used at first, 35W bulbs. Then switched them out to PIAA Super Whites due to the advertising I read and the hype I heard about them from friends. Well... to my dismay, they provided NO MORE output than a standard H3 Halogen 35W from Kragen. And yes, the did provide a 'whiter' light. But no more light than any std bulb. I ended up returning the bulbs after several tests at night in the desert. They let me down. Go HERE, and you'll see that I actually swapped out the lights from Hella to PIAA at one point... ending up with dual HIDs.

Proof is in using the light, simply enough. I'm sure they are using the same method and coating they did years ago.

Honestly, HID and Halogen are two conflicting sources of light. Most racers these days are constantly arguing about the two due to several reasons. One being reliability. The other, how well they light up the darkness. And then, let's not throw in sponsors... and they pay racers to use their Halogen lighting over HID. I'm sure racers don't always have their choice.

• Like 1

Wow!

The Temps I referenced were color temps, no one said anything about heat energy but you.

I answered him with a suggestion that would provide him with a brighter light without having to change the headlight shroud to that Godawful looking POS that you have.

You left out the fact that the increased efficiency of the PIAA system is where they get their gains in light output.

Quote "PIAA Xtreme White Plus halogen and driving light bulbs project a brilliant cool white light that comes very close to the color of expensive High Intensity Discharge (HID) lighting systems. Many Xtreme White Plus headlight bulbs feature PIAA Xtra high efficiency design that produces greater light output than their rated power consumption (for example, a bulb that consumes 45/65W of electricity has a light output that is similar to most 95/120W bulbs)."

Once again I ask you have you ever seen the difference or know anyone who has them or are you just talking out your ass?

i edited down your last post to only the babble that has any significance to the topic at hand.

ill address each of the 4 paragraphs by saying the following;

1 Apparently you didnt read the links reguarding color temps as color temps have nothing to do with the temperature of the filament or the watts used. its a scale used to describe the color of the light output. the heat energy in ACTUAL watts refers directly to the lumens of the light energy as described in the formula.

2 brighter light? prove it! since the manufacturer neglected to specify the lumens ratings of their bulb verses OEM we can all come to the obvious fact its just marketing hype. please refer to the formula for Lumens, apparently you didnt read that either. the manufacturer states its a 35 watt bulb, they neglect to state the lumens rating (hmm i wonder why?) because lab tests prove that a bulb with a blue tint actually shades the amount of light getting through the glass. if you were to measure it you would find the tinted bulbs actually have less output. its been proven over and over again with virtually every manufacturer although most of the marketing gimiks of this nature tend to follow the automotive crowd.

3. yes i apparently left that out, show me where the manufacturer did actual tests that prove they are more efficient. just because someone says its true doesnt make it so, especially when that somone is trying to sell you somthing!!! ask an uninterested 3rd party to supply real data. i can assure you that is the marketing hype could be proven it would be a very informative and worthwhile peice of doccumentation don't you think? i mean saying somthing is better based on some big fancy words and actually providing test data which would you believe? since none exists its obvious why they dont talk about it.

how about you take their quote literally and actually read it and i

QUOTE> "PIAA Xtreme White Plus halogen and driving light bulbs project a brilliant cool white light that comes very close to the color of expensive High Intensity Discharge (HID) lighting systems."

again they talk about color of the light

the rest of that quote makes a statement that isnt backed up by any proof, the color is easy to see and i am quite sure they dont expect anyone to have a high quality light meter handy to proove or disprove their claims.

ill admidt i bought a pair of silverstars for my Acura TSX fog lights because the color temp of the HIDS in comparason to the OEM fogs made them look yellow. the silverstars brought them much closer to the blue color of the HIDS, but they werent any brighter, just more white.

5. yes i have actually seen them and they arent any brighter just more to the blue end of the specrum with is an obvious result as they are blue tinted bulbs.

if you really want the truth here is a website that compared the piaa to several other brands it was automotive bulbs but clearly the piaa was the worst in this comparason http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-filament-bulbs.htm

or if you dont believe that here is a really good read from someone who actually tested some of the popular brands and gives a really good explanation of what i have been trying to tell you thus far.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

if you dont believe me, or any of the factual information i provided for you im sorry but there's no hope for you. what we can say with 100% certantity is of the factual information provided and the formulas using logic along with physics that we in the scientiffic world can prove any known theroy, none of which should be ignored to satisfy your insessent need to be right in spite of the facts.

in summry the japanese made PIAA extreem white bulbs LOOK brighter but actually arent. let me be more speciffic for you, a light bulb whos wattage is no different than OEM and adds a blue filter will have reduced output but may LOOK whiter. giving the uninformed or uneducated the impression they are brighter. when in fact they arent!

if your still unclear take a look at this pic. this is a 100 watt bulb in my garage you can see the color of the HIDS on my bike are not only brighter but have a higher color temp verses a standard incandescent bulb.

DSC00048.JPG

if you still can't understand all this logic then i say to you, "im happy you like your blue tinted bulbs, and if they make you happy and want to reccommend them to a friend, then please do so. im sure Piaa and CRF's only will thank you. maybe if you reccommend them to enough people they may send you a thank you letter.

and to that, im sorry for getting into the middle of it! but they arent brighter!

the end!

Ooh, looks like someone's back up on his high-horse after getting his ego kicked to the curb. Remember?? I know you do.

As I've told you before BM, you're condescending little holier-than-thou attitude only makes you appear insecure and childish. You're not that rad so get over yourself.

-The 10%

Oh Moleculo, you know i couldnt leave you out, i dont know why your the only one on this board out of thousands of members who finds it necessary to leave me posts like this.

i am not sure how to respond, but i think you have it backwards. your a little like a 5 year old who says "mommy, johnny did this and johnny did that and im telling!"

from what i can tell your trying to tell me i should feel my intelligence is being tested? yes i guess that would be correct, it was tested. if you bothered to read any of it i think i made a pretty clear cut case and it seems i have at least 1 person who is in agreement with me. is he not holier-than-thou because he agrees with me or because he didnt just spend the last 2 hours typing it all out in technical terms?

what do you expect to accomplish by posting what you did? to be honest, i think my posts are informatitive, correct and proven. i would say it shows a sign of intelligence and logic. despite your viewpoint (which makes no sence)

as for you, i think your the one acting childish, no one asked for your opinion. you werent part of the debate at any point. but you still felt it necessary to post your .02 worth. unfortunatly you didn't add anything of value to this thread good or bad. so your post was pointless!

how about instead of trying to stir the pot you either add somthing usefull to the board or go away. your becomming a troll as you seem to only post in an attempt to make me look bad.

if it makes you feel any better i really don't give a crap what you think about me. i guess in some sick way you get a charge out of watching yourself post and reading it back to yourself.

you will also notice i never post anything i can't prove. ill be the first to admidt i dont know somthing if i dont know. usually i dont post anything if i don't have an answer i know is true.

it's a little like if i can't say somthing nice, say nothing!

perhaps you should read that book!

You haven't proved anything. You have made the assertion that HID provides more light than Halogen.

Well no shit!!!

You've got close to $ 500 in your set up.

These PIAA bulbs are $ 20.

You conveniently missed the point once again...the question from the original poster was not "Is HID better than Halogen?"

His question was a simple one, even an insurance salesman should be able to understand.

"Yeah, i've found it not to be as bright as it could be. I have a Honda ATV and it's lights make it seem like it's day light out (almost). Is there anyway to get a brighter light without haveing to change the headlight shroud? "

Just because you don't believe that they put out more light, doesn't make that true.

Your cut and paste Lumens formula boils down to efficiency. What is the efficiency of the PIAA bulbs that leads you to believe that their claims are untrue? What proprietary secrets of theirs, i.e. gas, materials, focus lens, that you are privy to that has lead you to this conclusion?

Just yelling louder doesn't make you correct. Saying that it's just marketing doesn't make you correct.

I'm now curious in your qualifications. The electronics background that you claim, is it an actual degree in electronics from a "real" university? Or are you considering several years installing Car Stereo speakers to be that background which allows you to be an expert on the physics of light?

ok ill answer his question, NO there is no direct replacement bulb that will make the stock headlight any brighter. there is however a Piaa bulb available that some people think is better than stock but in reality all it does is make the headlight appear whiter.

as for my background yes i have an actual degree, not that it did much for me in this field. and i didnt just install carstereos, my focus was on subwoofer design, eventually i invented one called the power mouse and became a manufacturer for that product.

however i find more satisfaction and make a hell of a lot more money protecting peoples income and assetts. aside from the money i get paid in many more ways than money holding that responcibility for thousands of people.

of course you only want my resume because you just like Mole boy want to find some hole in my background to prove im wrong.

yes i copied and pasted a lot of stuff because i had hoped that if someone besides myself took the time to write some logic you might believe them verses an "insurance salesman" as you so elequently pointed out. would it have made you any more of a believer if i had used my own formula?

and finally ill ask you the same question you asked me;

"What proprietary secrets of theirs, i.e. gas, materials, focus lens, that you are privy to that has lead you to this conclusion?"

show me where you have any proof any of that information exists..

i can tell you that all of the items you mentioned would be noteworthy and ill address each

1. there is no gas, all incandescent bulbs are in a vacume otherwise the fillament would burn up. if it had any gas it would be halogen or xenon, xenon doesnt do anything for an incandescent thats used in strobe lights and camera flashes because its can be ioniozed with high voltage. its not a halogen or they would have stated it, (it would have been a good selling point if it were)

2, materials its not a quartz bulb because unless your running halogen the glass will never reach high enough temps to justify the additional cost.

3. focus and lense. well there isnt any lense on a light bulb, focus would definitly have a lot to do with the location of the filliment in the bulb, however i am sure the OEM unit is exactly the same otherwise this bulb would give a different beam pattern. ive seen side by side pictures that confirm the focus is the same.

i should add that for about 1/2 a dozen years i was a copier technician, I took an extensive advanced course that went into detail about certain aspects of a copier design, one of thoes elements was lamp theroy. we studied in detail the workings of halogen and quarts halogen bulbs as i am sure your aware copiers use pretty high tech lamps to expose the original to the photoconductor.

pretty neat stuff! if you want to educate yourself on exactly how a halogen lamp differs from a standard lamp there is a thread on this board someplace from about 3 months ago that i personally typed with my own words. search for the word Halogen, i am sure you will find it.

as i said before i dont post lengthy explanations about stuff i dont understand or can't prove. what would be the point? doing so brings people who will challenge me. i do not wish to post somthing i can't prove because it will start an endless debate. the problem is that here ive got all the evidence and you still dont believe it. i cant help you!

seems this whole topic has come down to this 1 word from PIAA "efficiency" because they put the word efficiency in the equasion you would be correct if it were true. however having a very good understanding of electronics and a good deal of study into incancescent light i can assure you that the first attempt at electric light that is 100 years old has seen about every varation there is to improve the design. the PIAA bulb doesnt even say if its a halogen or not. if it was you might have a point to argue but even if that was the case it would only be about 15% brighter than standard bulbs, the manufacturer claims to be getting nearly 2 times the light output because of efficiency. however absolutly ZERO data to prove it.

ill give you an example. when i built my power mouse enclosure i did literally hundreds of comparasons using actual test equipment and plotting responce graphs showing standard designs verses mine. i only advertised a few of them that were some of the more popular designs verses mine. but i had actual data and proof. i got nearly 2 times the audio output for the same given watts. thats proof!

here we have none! trust me when i tell you if there was ANY they would show it. but what i do know is that to get the type of efficiency they speak of to back up their claims they would have to be using somthing besides an incandescent bulb with blue tint to achieve thoes numbers. their bulbs are no different than sylvanias silverstar or any other manufacturer that makes blue bulbs for the import ricer tuner car segment.

can you make an incandescent bulb brighter? sure you can feed it more voltage but its lifespan will be reduced significantly especially on a motorcycle that is constantly vibrating.

just for the record, im done with this thread. ive got more important things to attend to right now, ive got a 60 yr old couple who didn't plan very well who are in desparate need of about 1 million dollars worth of life insurance. they are depending on me to come up with a perminent solution to their problem so they dont have to ask their kids to support them after the first one dies.

ive got 2 employees who need direction, and im running late typing this pointless thread.

the facts are here, unless you can find some data to prove your efficiency theroy you got nothing.

good day!

BM, you're obviously a smart guy. In this thread I have no problem with the technical content of your posts. However, your over-inflated ego and complete lack of humility simply destroys any credibility you have.

Agent Smith simply posted a link for a potential cost effective upgrade. Try to look at your responses from a fly-on-the-wall point of view. How would you have taken it?

you will also notice i never post anything i can't prove. ill be the first to admidt i dont know somthing if i dont know.

Oh, really? How about this little gem of a thread where you went and deleted your posts after you made a total BS statement and were called on it? Is that how you "admit" you don't know something?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449766

it's a little like if i can't say somthing nice, say nothing!

perhaps you should read that book!

Th irony in that statement coming from you is killing me!

This thread has just about run it's course and is waaaay off topic.

If you'd all like to start a new thread, on lighting, and give your findings... then please do so. But this thread is done. He got his actual answers quite a long time ago.

:applause: