Which Mobil 1?

This thread is not to start an oil debate. I have been running Amsoil and I want to switch to something I can buy in a gallon for a good deal. I would go with Rotella but my local Wal Mart doesn't stock the synthetic. So I am going to try the Mobil 1. I am totally confused as to which Mobil 1 people are running. Red cap is discontinued, I heard Gold cap has the cleaning stuff we don't want, most of them have silver caps, Help me please!:applause:

This thread is not to start an oil debate. I have been running Amsoil and I want to switch to something I can buy in a gallon for a good deal. I would go with Rotella but my local Wal Mart doesn't stock the synthetic. So I am going to try the Mobil 1. I am totally confused as to which Mobil 1 people are running. Red cap is discontinued, I heard Gold cap has the cleaning stuff we don't want, most of them have silver caps, Help me please!:applause:

I had to stop using the Mobil1 because I couldn't find any that didn't have the energy conserving logo on the back. I wonder if that's something they changed recently?

I used gold cap in both sides and never had an issue

I used gold cap in both sides and never had an issue

So the gold cap is the extended performance. Are you running 15w50? Does it have the energy conserving logo on the back?

So the gold cap is the extended performance. Are you running 15w50? Does it have the energy conserving logo on the back?

yes yes and no:thumbsup:

No car oil in your 4 stroke race motor. No car oil in your 4 stroke race motor. No car oil...............................

LMAO. Don't use car gas either... Believe the hype!

The Truck and SUV Mobil 1 is a rebadged Red cap Mobil 1. Neither of these have the EC logo...

The good part the a Honda is the seperat engine and trany cases. You can run Mobil 1 in the engine side even if it says it is energy conserving. You can not run it in the trany. I have been running Mobil one 15-50 for 2 seasons with no problems. For you Rottela oil go to walmart they should have it.:applause:

Thanks guys, that helped, I will head over to my local Wal Mart today.

I have been running the 15w-50 gold cap also with no problems and I change mine about every two riding trips.Two seasons so far and every thing seems ok.

LMAO. Don't use car gas either... Believe the hype!

Well Pro Med, for some reason this is always a hot issue. And yes, be my guest, LYAO. The fact is, as Honda recommends, the oil you use should meet JASO specs. It has been said by people that know more than i do that you can in fact run say Mobil 1 in your engine in a CRF (although it is certainly not recommended) but that if you do, more frequent oil changes are highly advised.) By the way, nobody in the industry recommends Mobil 1 in your CRF motor.) It is not formulated for race engines that run at high rpm. (11,000). It's for your mom's Camry. High RPM'S are what kill a 4-stoke motor more so than any other factor. So if your paying 1/2 the price for your oil and changing it twice as often aren't you defeating your purpose? Or do you not change it on a more frequnet basis? It has also been said that good oil is the single most important factor when it comes to your motor life. I'm pretty sure Team Honda doesn't run Mobil 1 now do they ProMed? I'm not sure how you came up with any correlation between pump gasoline and motor oil and I'm also sure you don't know either.

I know that there are always people out there who think they know more than the engineers that build these things and I'm betting your one of them. Yes, it's your bike and your choice of oil is entirely up to you. Quite frankly I could care less about what type of oil you choose to use. But when someone asks a perfectly valid question at least give them an accurate answer. If you can't do that then you should remain seated (IMHO). This actually used to be a pretty damn good web site until it was over-run by metrosexual squid. But then again, this is America, and you have every right to be wrong. This is just exactly why I don't buy used bikes. :applause:

mobil 1 15w50----nonenergy conserving and the best oil for a crf motor----explain this tom..........my 03 crf450 has ran 4 years w/mobil1 and nothing else..........no issues at all.........granted i am not a racer but i pretend to be........imho mobil 1 rocks and i wont use another oil for the engine-----oh....MOBIL MAKES ALL THE SUZUKAWAYAMAHONDA OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I run the rottela in both sides. I put about 100cc of the lucas synthetic in at the end. rottela just put a triple protection formula on the shelf. I have it in my bike now. I have about three hours on my oil and it still looks like the day i put it in.:applause:

It has been said by people that know more than i do that you can in fact run say Mobil 1 in your engine in a CRF (although it is certainly not recommended) but that if you do, more frequent oil changes are highly advised.:applause:

If the lemmings that are recommending more frequent oil changes w/ Mobil 1 vs. "motorcycle oils" know more than you then you probably shouldn't be posting in oil threads... LMAO x2.

The distributors (notice I didn't type manufacturers) of "motorcyle oils" have successfully marketed their products so effectively that they have convinced a sizeable portion of M/C consumers to spend 2-3 times more for an inferior product. Don't drink the kool-aid.

Well Pro Med, for some reason this is always a hot issue. And yes, be my guest, LYAO. The fact is, as Honda recommends, the oil you use should meet JASO specs. It has been said by people that know more than i do that you can in fact run say Mobil 1 in your engine in a CRF (although it is certainly not recommended) but that if you do, more frequent oil changes are highly advised.) By the way, nobody in the industry recommends Mobil 1 in your CRF motor.) It is not formulated for race engines that run at high rpm. (11,000). It's for your mom's Camry. High RPM'S are what kill a 4-stoke motor more so than any other factor. So if your paying 1/2 the price for your oil and changing it twice as often aren't you defeating your purpose? Or do you not change it on a more frequnet basis? It has also been said that good oil is the single most important factor when it comes to your motor life. I'm pretty sure Team Honda doesn't run Mobil 1 now do they ProMed? I'm not sure how you came up with any correlation between pump gasoline and motor oil and I'm also sure you don't know either.

I know that there are always people out there who think they know more than the engineers that build these things and I'm betting your one of them. Yes, it's your bike and your choice of oil is entirely up to you. Quite frankly I could care less about what type of oil you choose to use. But when someone asks a perfectly valid question at least give them an accurate answer. If you can't do that then you should remain seated (IMHO). This actually used to be a pretty damn good web site until it was over-run by metrosexual squid. But then again, this is America, and you have every right to be wrong. This is just exactly why I don't buy used bikes. :applause:

No need to get nasty...

So someone has a different opinion. Pro-Med is not wrong... just chooses a different method in keeping his bike fresh.

You need to read some more before flipping out.

So how is Mobil 1 for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?

First, let's be clear about Mobil 1's overall benefits compared to those of conventional motor oils, whether for passenger cars or motorcycles:

Superior long-term engine protection.

Superior high-temperature stability.

Excellent low-temperature starting.

Outstanding engine performance.

Low volatility/low oil consumption

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:

Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers.

They are not comparing Mobil 1 to other brands.... just the difference in their own products. More reading and you can make an educated decision on what you feel comfortable using in your bike.

Bring something to the table other than senseless babble ProMed. It was intended to be rude. If you recall, all I said was "no car oil", (not wanting to beat this dead horse), to which you resonded with some "LMAO" jibberish. I should have mentioned the JASO secs rather than refer to a brand name. Not all companies are out to rip everybody off ProMed. Those that do aren't around long. The fact is that companies like Honda want you to enjoy a reliable product. They actually do care about their customers and that's one of the reasons they have such a large market share. To suggest that manufacturers such as Honda are feeding their customers kool-aid lacks any foundation whatsoever. Sure they want to make money on all of the products they offer. But more importantly as with any reputable company that delivers a superior product, (and Honda overall has a proven track record) it's really after the sale that counts. Companies like Yamaha, Honda etc... want their customers to enjoy years of reliable service. Try making an oil related warranty claim (if you have one) on your Honda product with your "not JASO spect oil" receipts. Good luck. Furthermore it doesn't matter who manufactures what for whomever. And by the way CRF R CRF F... I'm aware that Yamaha and Honda and whomever else don't make their own oils. It's the specs that count, not who makes it. So ProMed, like I said, I could care less what oil you choose. And for all you guys that are using whatever and saving money, I think that's great. Just keep in mind that not all oils are manufactured to that same specs. And as DPR250R said above it's the zinc, pospherous, and something else that escapes me right now in your "JASO" spec oil that give it superior wear qualities that the manufacturers specify you use in the CRFR. Incidently ProMed, I'm gratefull I don't have your negative attitude. If your trying to validate yourself by making me feel stupid it's not working. Maybe you should think more before you spout off. So for all I've gotten out of your posts on this thread is, um well........?

Oil is oil. The metalurgy is so good now days that you almost never see oil related engine failures, even when cheap no name automotive engine oil is used in these bikes.

You can even use energy conserving oils in the engine side. It won't hurt anything. High RPM isn't a problem with auto oil. There are plenty of high hp turbo charged 11,000rpm race cars running main stream auto oil.

The only oil related problem any of us will ever experience is a slipping clutch. Some of the energy conserving oils are so slick that they will cause your clutch to slip if you run it in the tranny.

The good part the a Honda is the seperat engine and trany cases. You can run Mobil 1 in the engine side even if it says it is energy conserving. You can not run it in the trany. I have been running Mobil one 15-50 for 2 seasons with no problems. For you Rottela oil go to walmart they should have it.:applause:

so you mobil 15-50 oil in the engine and rottela in the tranny.what weight in the tranny?

If you are going to run Rotella in the trans, you should just run it in both sides. I am giving Rotella syn 5w-40 in both sides a shot this weekend. Two days of riding in Green River Utah. This will be a good test.

Bring something to the table other than senseless babble ProMed. It was intended to be rude. If you recall, all I said was "no car oil", (not wanting to beat this dead horse), to which you resonded with some "LMAO" jibberish. I should have mentioned the JASO secs rather than refer to a brand name. Not all companies are out to rip everybody off ProMed. Those that do aren't around long.

LMAO x3. Actually you said "No car oil in your 4 stroke race motor. No car oil in your 4 stroke race motor. No car oil..............................." After all of the hundreds of oil threads saying otherwise I thought it was hilarious that someone was still saying this crap so I said, "LMAO. Don't use car gas either... Believe the hype!" Apparently this hit a sore spot in your fragile ego and set you off on a typing rampage! :applause:

The fact is that companies like Honda want you to enjoy a reliable product. They actually do care about their customers and that's one of the reasons they have such a large market share. To suggest that manufacturers such as Honda are feeding their customers kool-aid lacks any foundation whatsoever. Sure they want to make money on all of the products they offer. But more importantly as with any reputable company that delivers a superior product, (and Honda overall has a proven track record) it's really after the sale that counts. Companies like Yamaha, Honda etc... want their customers to enjoy years of reliable service. Try making an oil related warranty claim (if you have one) on your Honda product with your "not JASO spect oil" receipts. Good luck. Furthermore it doesn't matter who manufactures what for whomever. And by the way CRF R CRF F... I'm aware that Yamaha and Honda and whomever else don't make their own oils. It's the specs that count, not who makes it.

Honda oil isn't JASO certified! (see below) Good Lord man, apparently you not only drank the kool-aid, but also took a bath in it. The manuals usually say JASO spec oil or equivalent..

So ProMed, like I said, I could care less what oil you choose.

Your novel-length response clearly says otherwise..

And as DPR250R said above it's the zinc, pospherous, and something else that escapes me right now in your "JASO" spec oil that give it superior wear qualities that the manufacturers specify you use in the CRFR. Incidently ProMed, I'm gratefull I don't have your negative attitude. If your trying to validate yourself by making me feel stupid it's not working. Maybe you should think more before you spout off. So for all I've gotten out of your posts on this thread is, um well........?

LMAO x4! What exactly have your amzingly ignorant posts produced other than second-hand misinformation? If you think my laughing my azz off at your response is a negative attitude, well so be it and good luck with that. If you are looking for an in-depth oil response do a search genius. Apparenly you haven't read any of the countless oil threads on this board or you wouldn't have posted up your ignorant "No car oil in your 4 stroke race motor. No car oil in your 4 stroke race motor. No car oil..............................." drivel.

JASO (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization) Certified Oil

Another institute that certifies oils is called the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization, JASO. One wonders why this Japanese organization has an English name. . . In any case, they have two classifications for motorcycles, "MA" and "MB." MA is the one you want. MB is like the API SL category, it's got all those nasty friction reducing chemicals that may scare your clutch into misbehaving. Again, there is an official JASO seal if the oil has been independently tested. The seal is a rectangle; in the upper quarter of the rectangle will be a serial number, and the lower three quarters will just have the letters MA. If the oil manufacturer did their own testing, instead you'll see just words like "Meets or exceeds JASO MA standards."

Some manufacturers recommend JASO-MA certified oil. AMSOil and Golden Spectro are JASO-MA certified. Some people for some reason consider this important. Interestingly, although Honda recommends a JASO-MA oil, Honda oil is not JASO-MA certified. Mostly JASO-MA is pretty much equivalent to SH. In fact, the JASO spec is mostly a reaction to the decrease in zinc-phosphates in SJ and SL oils, and the added molybdenum disulphide in energy conserving oils. Personally, I don't care about JASO standards - they're really not on my radar.