XR400 - how much is a new clutch, how easy to install?

I have an XR400 that needs a new clutch. How much can I expect to pay for one.....two ways:

1) Parts only, I do myself?

2) I take to a shop and have them do it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I just replaced my clutch on my XR. Stock clutch cost $53.00 and 30 minutes of work. Just be sure to soak the new clutch in fresh oil for a couple of hours.

I just replaced my clutch on my XR. Stock clutch cost $53.00 and 30 minutes of work. Just be sure to soak the new clutch in fresh oil for a couple of hours.

It's worth your while to replace the springs as well, once you're in there. But it's not hard at all. Just make sure you get the plates/steels back in the right order. IIRC the last plate or steel has to go onto the basket at the right offset from the others. A repair manual will show all of that. You may be able to find a pdf version of the honda manual if you search for it.

One other suggestion: Don't overtorque the bolts holding the side cover onto the engine. You don't want to break one off.

It's worth your while to replace the springs as well, once you're in there. But it's not hard at all. Just make sure you get the plates/steels back in the right order. IIRC the last plate or steel has to go onto the basket at the right offset from the others. A repair manual will show all of that. You may be able to find a pdf version of the honda manual if you search for it.

One other suggestion: Don't overtorque the bolts holding the side cover onto the engine. You don't want to break one off.

How much additionally for the springs?

World of Powersports on the internet lists them for $2.67 each. You'll need 5 of them. There's a minimum specification for spring length, and after long service the springs get too short to meet the spec. I have seen clutch kits sold by Honda dealers that include the springs. Don't know if one's available for an XR400.

Do it yourself. It's not hard and you'll gain confidence in working on your own bike. Something the manual may not tell you is : to soak the new plates overnight in oil before installing them.

DPK makes a complete clutch kit for the xr400, comes with presoaked friction plates, steel drive plates,and clutch springs. for every thing its $122.99 on dennis kirk. they are all high quality ieces that surpass oem quality. They are also sent in a plastic case from the factory so they are not damaged.

just another option

Don't forget to double check how the little plunger goes in. I had to redo the final thing to get it right.

Obviously I don't exactly remember how it goes. I have only done one clutch in my life. Someone else may know what I'm talking about.

Don't know if anyone thought of this but it can be expensive if you need a new hub and basket. If the basket is got grooves in the fingers that little item can cost 150 + usually +.The hub is usually good but if it's not those are spendy. If you just need to replace the friction plates and springs yeah its cheap. The steel disks can be a little spendy if they are warped. Anyways gives you an idea... hopefully you just need springs and f plates.

Go to http://www.rockymountainatv.com/, they have a Tusk clutch kit with springs for $41.99. I have had one for a few months now and have had no problems. There are a few other people on here that have tried them with good results. Do a search on here for them.

thanks for the info on the Tusk Clutch

thanks for the info on the Tusk Clutch

No Problem

I’ll be having to do my second clutch on my xr4 since owning it since 2014. Both times get a tusk clutch and no complaints here especially for the price. But I would like to try oem plates next time just to see if I can tell the difference. Either way a new clutch feels great. BRAAPPP

On 3/7/2007 at 6:46 PM, eliasxr400 said:

Go to http://www.rockymountainatv.com/, they have a Tusk clutch kit with springs for $41.99. I have had one for a few months now and have had no problems. There are a few other people on here that have tried them with good results. Do a search on here for them.

Get the Tusk clutch but forget their springs.  Go OEM on the springs, you will be glad you did.  And don't forget to order a gasket!

We've bought several motorcycles that needed a clutch.
99% of the time the cable was adjusted too tight.
We put some slack back into the cable and the clutch worked great.

IMG_5256.JPGIMG_5257.JPGIMG_5258.JPGnew brake pedal and tusk clutch. Works great and super easy to install.

you can do it with a good oem kit for $55 and an hour of time to kill
Or, you can get a real clutch system on eBay for $124.50. I just got one from "Jawzys".
DO NOT SAY "GOOD ENOUGH"!!! IT HAS TO BE IN LINE HOW THE MANUAL SAYS