shave seat

I just did it to my XR400. I'm 5' 7" with short legs, and I got tired of flopping over because the ground was too far away :applause: I figure it took about 1.5 inches off of the seat height, once I compress what's left of the foam.

I haven't ridden offroad with it yet, but now I can almost get the balls of my feet on the ground, and I was always on tiptoes before. It's an improvement, and it doesn't affect the handling like a lowering link or raising the forks does.

I just did it to my XR400. I'm 5' 7" with short legs, and I got tired of flopping over because the ground was too far away :applause: I figure it took about 1.5 inches off of the seat height, once I compress what's left of the foam.

I haven't ridden offroad with it yet, but now I can almost get the balls of my feet on the ground, and I was always on tiptoes before. It's an improvement, and it doesn't affect the handling like a lowering link or raising the forks does.

Now I just did it myself. It wasn't easy and I ended up adding a piece of webbing where the seat starts to tip up due to an air pocket no amount of stretching the seat cover could fix. I made an animated GIF file (made from a Honda web site picture and then superimposing my actual seat on it) to show the difference. I can get a lot more of my foot on the ground now.

XR400_Seat.gif

I took a short test ride, in street shoes, after I reinstalled the lowered saddle. I didn't really notice any difference in the handlebars - they'll be the same when I'm standing on the pegs, of course. I did notice that I was lower on the bike when I was sitting, and the kickstart took a little more of a knee bend than before. But being lower in the saddle should lower the center of mass for bike and rider a bit, and that might actually improve the handling a little.

• 2 weeks later...

AH! Saw the strap in another post and thought it was for a tank bag or something. I too lowered my seat.

made some marks:

169005662_44d92fc973.jpg

169005759_79f0f9d095.jpg

169006386_d200785057.jpg

used the hacksaw blade. You have to be very careful toward the rear as the seat under plastic bumps up.

169006510_e95df3fcb5.jpg

I took the toop soft foam off and replaced it once I finished cutting it:

169005397_d3e79ae046.jpg

Sanded the edges to roll it:

169006623_e1c7e880e8.jpg

Wrapped it with a In-Style cover:

388067149_1bbb8a78c5.jpg

It is one of the best modifications that will help in the "flop over into a water puddle" syndrome. Along with the Gordon mods to uncork the little XR, it has become my fellow riders "worst nightmare". They all ride newer WRs and YZs and now I can keep up to them no problem. Much to their chagrin they still need to do the weekly maintenance while I just keep riding and changin oil every 500miles or so.

Concerning the seat, don't be afraid to remove the old Honda seatskin and rework the foam just like GCrad1 did. I too used a black marker and removed 1.5" of foam. WOWOWOWOW is all I can say. Remember those lower than first gear rock gardens, well fear NO MORE. You will be able to tiptoe thru them and LAUGH at your buddies !!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers !!

Hey, us "shorty-inseam guys" OK, with my shorty inseam of 29" I need a trials bike! hehehe Now there is a thought! Speaking of Trials bike, two weekends ago, I ran across some guys in Johnson Valley - one with a Montessa, which Honda now owns... This one had a CRF250 FUEL INJECTION MOTOR!!!!

421115918_0bf8ca5303.jpg

OK, don't want this tread to go the wrong way, DUDE, check out how low this seat is!!!

I love my seat on the XR400 now and never thought of it as a trials type seat. I can ride my bike and not worrie about the tippies!!! I sat on my buddies new DRZ400 and was quickly reminded how much I loved my lowered seat!