Going from Hotcams stage 2 to stage 1 exhaust cam

Anyone done this? The only reason I'm considering it is because: I'm a wussy and can't kickstart my bike (but I don't feel so bad because the battery can't and 2 of my friends can't either) and the stage 1 ex cam has auto decomp. And because I can't install the manual decomp assembly on my "S" head and a new "E" head is almost $400, this is the next best thing. I even e-mailed Jesse at Kientech because I heard he had a jig set up to machine the proper hole for the decomp assembly, but he is way too backed up at work and this head job takes a while to do.

I wonder how much of a power loss I will experience. According to the Hotcams website, the stage 1 will add some bottom end, but I will be sacrificing the top end of the stage 2 cam. Oh well, I don't rev it to the moon anyways.

Since I started a new thread, here's a bonus. Japanese humor. You will either piss yourself laughing or not even crack a smile. give it a few minutes to really get into it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RszlwFabV2c

If you liked it, there are also parts 2 and 3 to watch.

I read this:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254636

Looks like the E/K exhaust cam is more aggressive than the stage 1 Hotcam. If it comes with auto decomp, I'd go that route instead.

Queston from that other thread never got answered: why no auto decomp on the stage 2 cam?

they decided that there was enough additional over lap that it wouldnt be a problem.

your bike should crank with the battery.

I just emailed the guy I got my battery from last night. I'll see if I can get a new one and try again.

it is really important on how the battery is first put into service.

I followed their directions, but I guess it didn't work that well. I now have a 2A charger. How long should I wait after adding the electrolyte before charging it?

overnight.

Figures. The directions that came with it said 20 minutes.

yah,this has been a big topic of discussion at the last 3 years fo honda and suzuki updates.

I read this:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254636

Looks like the E/K exhaust cam is more aggressive than the stage 1 Hotcam. If it comes with auto decomp, I'd go that route instead.

But if you've got an S/SM head, doesn't it lack decomp provisions for the E/K exhaust cam? (edit: I think you acknowledged this in post #1)

I have an SM with stage 2 exhaust and the battery does its job -- but I do like my kickstarter, so I have been considering either stage 1 or stock exhaust cam. I was told that one can decomp with stage 2 cams by putting it in second gear and backing it up til it stops. Works on and off for me, but I might be doing it wrong. :applause:

(I would admonish the OP for the OT content, but frankly enjoyed Pie Hell tremendously.)

The E/K head has the ability to run a manual decompression mechanism that is operated via a lever mounted on the handlebar. It's the thing that comes with the kicker kit that is considered "extra stuff" to the S riders. The auto decomp is on the cam and works regardless of head type.

The Pie Hell was just bonus content for clicking on and reading my thread. I found it too funny to not share :applause: