hard time starting 07 yzf

so today i went for a ride on my bike. came home and cleaned it down. i checked the air filter to make sure no water had gone down into the boot (there was a few tiny spots)...

then i went to start it and it wouldnt start. had choke, no throttle

then tried with no choke, with hot start lever ect... even tried to bump start it... eventually i opend up the throttle while kicking it and it came to life after about 15 kicks or. i spent a good 30mins mucking around and was kinda pissed as to why it would take so long?

Could it have been flooded?

i dont think so buddy. i changed the oil in it, then i tried to start it again and it maybe 10 kicks, then i gave it throttle and it started up first 2-3 kicks.

would it be a jetting issue? does it affect 4 strokes much? thanks

If you had to open the throttle, then it was flooded. Because the throttle is open you loose the vacume in the venturi and it leans it out.

when the bike is cold...u should roll the throttle 2-3 times..to prime it the carb....then kick it a couple times slowly, not intending to staart it...then kick it to the tension spot, then raise it back up then kick it hard like a 2 stroke.....but always prime it when u are turning on a cold bike....

cheers everyone for the tips. those sites look good racer24.

its still a bitch to start when cold. im going riding tomorrow night, if it really piss's me off ill check the float level. hoping its cause im new to 4 bangers and i had shoes on :applause:

Does it idle when its all warmed up? I had a hard time starting mine and found that the idle adjustment had backed out, so the throttle was basically fully closed. Once I re adjusted it, starting was easy again.

Guys generally 4 stroke are real hard to start when the temps are below 45°. The best way is to richen up the pilot circuit and follow this procedure. Choke out. 3-4 easy kick (Do not start it) Prime the engine with 3 twist of the carb. Find TDC and give it full kicks. Do not touch the throttle. I generally leave it chock for a bout 30 seconds.

Erik

As they said, starting these buggers in the cold is a real pain in the ass. If you try and to it alot, you may foul up the spark plug. Thats what happened to me, and I had to change the plug.

cheers everyone for the tips. those sites look good racer24.

its still a bitch to start when cold. im going riding tomorrow night, if it really piss's me off ill check the float level. hoping its cause im new to 4 bangers and i had shoes on :applause:

Guys generally 4 stroke are real hard to start when the temps are below 45°. The best way is to richen up the pilot circuit and follow this procedure. Choke out. 3-4 easy kick (Do not start it) Prime the engine with 3 twist of the carb. Find TDC and give it full kicks. Do not touch the throttle. I generally leave it chock for a bout 30 seconds.

Erik

As they said, starting these buggers in the cold is a real pain in the ass. If you try and to it alot, you may foul up the spark plug. Thats what happened to me, and I had to change the plug.

Yeah how cold are we talking here? Cuz if its in the 30's or so neither of my bikes will start willingly. Usually If I need them to I will throw a tarp over them with a little heater sitting on the pegs. Let it sit for 15 minutes and it starts in 1-3 kicks. Like stated, these things are cold blooded. Try it next time, if your bike is in good running order, it will start easier.

my 06 yzf starts easily. it can be 40 degrees outside and it starts on the first few kicks. i am amazed how good the bike will start in cold weather compared to all the other bikes i have ever owned.