Sign in to follow this  

Need some help from ya'all...

Going to pick up a 2002 CRF 150 for my wife on monday on an ad I seen this weekend. I've been very imperssed on how well these bikes perform and am excited about getting this for her (and me for some TT fun). The questions I was hoping to get some help with are these;

Is the 2002 the same as the 03-05? I see big bore kits and other goodies available for these years but nothing for the 02. Bike was released 11/02?, are they just 03's?

And other info I was searching for on this forum are comon problems or any "red light" warnings I should look for when I go to see this bike. I have rebuilt a few 450's and other big bores for my friends and I and am not afraid of mechanical work, but dont want to get into a money pit due to things I could have noticed on inspection or test ride.

I have seen what guys have done to these bikes and am amazed at how well they perform off road, at the track, and on some trails that I can bearly get my DRZ through. We are excited about the purchase and getting my wife off of the XR100 she has been stuck on for the last 3 years. :applause:

Thanks in advance for any info.

Yes, that's a 2003. First year in USA.

These bikes don't have anything to really look out for that I know of. A 2003 could have lots of ours though. So, check headset & wheels for slop & of course see how it starts & runs.

Good luck!

:applause:

Let me take a guess...you want the bike for Friday nights at Sand Hill?? :applause:

Just saw your garage and I think Ive been past by that monster you have there before. Nice bike!

I hear if you dont have a 150R out there lately you might as well go home. I did love the TT'n there when it was fair but now, I just go on my supermoto for practice. I'm sure I will get on ithe 150 a few times out there, its just to much fun.

The bike is for my wife. I plan on going into everything on the bike later and spending some time in this section of TT, but dont want to purchase a lemon.

How hard are they to kick over with the 250 kits? And, Dose the 230 cylinder bolt on? Thanks.

Just saw your garage and I think Ive been past by that monster you have there before. Nice bike!

I hear if you dont have a 150R out there lately you might as well go home. I did love the TT'n there when it was fair but now, I just go on my supermoto for practice. I'm sure I will get on ithe 150 a few times out there, its just to much fun.

The bike is for my wife. I plan on going into everything on the bike later and spending some time in this section of TT, but dont want to purchase a lemon.

How hard are they to kick over with the 250 kits? And, Dose the 230 cylinder bolt on? Thanks.

I believe I have talked to you out there at Sand Hill before. I remember seeing your motard 450.

All I can say is the CRF150F's are great bikes. Coming off of the XR100, your wife should enjoy it and so will you..

2003 is the first year these bikes came out, so just make sure its not beat to death, and be aware of any abnormal noises in the motor. Make sure the previous owner was up to date on all maintenance. There are some pretty thrashed 150's out there, so just look it over real good. May I ask how much your going to pick it up for?

I'm not too familiar with those 250 kits.

If you pick it up tomarrow, take some pics, we would all like to see :applause:

Quite a day of driving, but we picked it up yesterday. Bike runs great and the guy was really cool and gave us a great price. It has a white brothers pipe, not the fmf. Pics later today. Thanks for the help, looking forward to being able to ride this one!

Make sure that you check the steering stem, shock and swing arm bearings. The steering stem can be a real booger to fix if it's been worn. My brother and I have built three of these bikes all with the 2003-2005 motor. If this bike is for your wife I would suggest the Takegawa camshaft from Two Brothers with a rev box and exhaust. We have had no problems with our bike set up as such. The big bore bikes are much faster, but they are not nearly as reliable. I hope that you both have lots of fun with your new bike. Sorry, to be so long winded.

P.S.

When in doubt GAS IT!

Make sure that you check the steering stem, shock and swing arm bearings. The steering stem can be a real booger to fix if it's been worn. My brother and I have built three of these bikes all with the 2003-2005 motor. If this bike is for your wife I would suggest the Takegawa camshaft from Two Brothers with a rev box and exhaust. We have had no problems with our bike set up as such. The big bore bikes are much faster, but they are not nearly as reliable. I hope that you both have lots of fun with your new bike. Sorry, to be so long winded.

P.S.

When in doubt GAS IT!

Thanks alot. I am looking for a sercice manual first. Then I plan to tear it down and fresh'n things up. Will post anything nasty I find or questions I have. Dose anyone know how offten you should install a piston and rings? Valve job? Clutch?

I spoke with the old owner and he said he never adjusted the valaves so I think I can expect some issues.

These motors are very relaxed and understressed while stock. I could be wrong, but I'd bet that your valves will still be within tolerance. Unless you have a significant amount of blowby you shouldn't have to put new rings in. I'd start with a compression test before tearing down the motor. I do know that cr 125 clutch plates will fit 2003-2005 motors. We've never had to change all of the plates at once in any of our bikes. It's usually just the outter 3-4 friction plates. Once again, sorry for the long winded reply, but I hope it helps.

If the valves have never been adjusted don't worry. If they do anything they get tight and the bike won't start very easy. So if it starts you will be fine. I'd adjust them and be happy. The bike likely has just easy time on the motor.