Sign in to follow this  

06 rmz jingle jangle engine noise

engine starts and runs sweet,when i let throttle back i get a noise from cam chain side of engine.on the stand it dont happen,only when driving.cam chain tensioned,the other thing is slight oil coming from cover gasket lobes just slightly.could it be loads of back pressure from engine breaking?bike is great but i can't do problems,nedd to kick ride and enjoy with easy maintainance like my old yzf.i luv this rmz and want faith restored in it,please help :applause:

what you mean the chain from front to bak sprocket?

its a new sis oring chain,heavy duty and seemstight enough.

ive only ridden it 5 times since new sprox and chain.

Yeah, but all these new four strokes tend to make some drive chain noise even when brand new.
Hes talking about the cam chain, my 05 does the same thing. It only started after I tightened my cam chain for the first time. Im not sure why it makes that noise, I know I dont like it though.:applause:

Who is talking about the cam chain?? I'm not, I'm talking about the chain that drives the rear wheel.
adamsrmz450, the guy that was talking about the noisy cam chain

I would sugest you back and adjust the cam chain as per the manual but do not turn it over until you have locked up the adjuster then adjust the drive chain correctly then test.

I reakon its the drive chain as well. Mine use to make a horrible clacking sound at times. It takes a while for the different chain to wear in on the chain guides etc and it maybe slightly too loose. Have you put silicone under your chain guides? It makes them stay solid so it doesnt rub against the swing arm etc

adamsrmz450, the guy that was talking about the noisy cam chain

If it was cam chain noise, it would likely be making the noise while on the stand as well, not just riding.

will try drive chain(the one i can see?) tension and let you know.

thanks for help

drive chain = the chain that runs along the front sproket and rear wheel sproket. The one that turns the rear wheel

thanks for help

Drive chain tension may be part of the problem but also take a look at the plastic insert that sits inside of the aluminum bracket (aka. chain slider assembly). The OEM plastic wears fast and before you know it your drive chain is "sliding" on the aluminum bracket, which tends to make a lot of noise :applause: .

TM Designworks is the replacement option I have, and other TT'ers, swear by.

If this bike has alot of hrs on it you should check the chain guides (wear blocks) at on the cam chain tensioner and the one on the bottom of the valve cover as well as the guide on the front of the head.

The drive chain can also make noises like this if the swingarm slider and chain guide are worn.

I've never had drive chain noise, but when my idle is set too low you can hear alot of noise from the decompression trying to kick in.

thanks for help

Oops my bad, thought you meant camchain. My cam chain started making noises after I tightened it.