Sign in to follow this  

700 Nighthawk?

What can you guys tell me about the 84-86 nighthawks,good and bad I,ve been looking at a few older low mile bikes to use as a daily driver to work.

I've narrowed it down to a XJ 650 and a 700 nighthawk,both low mile in great shape,I think the XJ is the best deal but the nighthawk has realy caught my eye,plus its more modern.

I'm pretty famialur with the older yamahas but not the nighthawk,so if you've owned or been around the 84-86 CB700 I would like to know what is good and bad...

Thanks

Never heard of the 700, I had an 85 650 Nighthawk, great bike, shaft drive, plennty of power, easy to handle. Totally problem free for the 4 years I owned it

I bought a new CB700SC in 1985. I was moving up after honing my new skills on an XT250. I absolutely loved the bike. The shaft drive, spin on oil filter, and hydraulic valves made maintenance quick and easy. The rear suspension was hand adjustable for preload and rebound, so picking up a passenger required a 20 second modification. The power band is quite unique. Around 7k rpms, the 'S' starts to make a gutteral growl that lets you know something is about to happen. Once you cross the 7k line, the engine rips to redline in a heartbeat. Make sure both hands are on the bars and you're facing forward. Although not as technologically advanced as the V-4 Interceptor, a skilled rider could keep up with one on the 'S,' and the Interceptor needed a trip to the dealer for tune ups unless you were comfortable with taking half the bike apart to get at the heads. The seating position is UJM, very comfortable for long distance riding. I even took a few 125MPH+ runs across the desert with a passenger, and the bike was rock solid. I've been waiting for Honda to bring the model back so I can buy another one.

Those are sharp looking bikes. I had one I redone, ground up, on the island. A very rider friendly bike and solid ride. Nice choice.:applause:

Never heard of the 700, I had an 85 650 Nighthawk, great bike, shaft drive, plennty of power, easy to handle. Totally problem free for the 4 years I owned it

Ruffus I see your from Ontario,Canada got a 750 nighthawk those years I believe,there was some importation deal for a few years,so yamaha and honda (probably others as well)sold 700cc versions of certain bikes in United states to beat the system sort of. I realy dont remember the whole story,I'm sure there is some guys on here who do..

Here's a pic of bike,it has just been repainted.

I was almost hopeing there was a major problem with these bikes,the XJ 650 I'm thinking about is a great deal and honestly probably a better bike for what I will be using bike for,problem is I love the looks of this CB700S,and it sounds like it would be a absolute blast to ride..:applause:

100_1838.jpg?t=1173016768

Here's the only pic I could find of mine 30814404354.jpg

:applause:

P.S. click on the pic for a larger view

Here's the only pic I could find of mine 30814404354.jpg

:applause:

P.S. click on the pic for a larger view

Yikes:jawdrop: :lol:

About the only thing I didn't like about it was shaft drive when leaned over in the faster left hand corners, ya give it some gas & the torque would lift you up out of an ideal lean angle, scared the hell outa me the first time it happened, after that I learned to go smooth, no extra throttle input untill I was out of the apex & going straight again. Thats about the only time I wished for a NightHawk 750s (chaindrive) Also learned not to try & keep up my buddies Suzuki 750 crotchrocket thru the corners :applause:

Had a 700Nighthawk myself. The red white and blue color combination. The best all around street bike I ever owned! Beautiful to look at and very nice ride and handling. Very easy to maintain. One feature on the bike I really grew to like was the gear indicater. I think it will be known as one of the best street bikes of it times. A real winner in my book.

I never had a 700 Nighthawk, but had the 650 and 750 versions. Very good bikes, I'm sure the 700 is great too.

The XJ Yamahas have a weak second gear, I have had more than one fail. Make sure it shifts positively into second. If you get to test drive it, shift into second and gun the motor. If it is wearing out this may cause it to drop into neutral. Split the case, replace 2nd gear, 5th gear and a shift fork. PITA

Thanks to all who responded,both bikes are far enough away that when I go look it will be a one time trip, I was straight up with the honda owner,told him I realy was interested in his bike and thought his asking price was plenty fair,but I was also talking to a guy with a XJ 650 that was realy almost to good a deal to pass up,he said he would lower price $150 for cash.

I've owned an 84 nighthawk 's and I loved the bike. Very little maint and rode great. It did make its power from 7000 up to the rev limiter which i remember to be about 14000 rpm???. I'm in the same quandary, a new Suzuki sm bike or the 700 s. I have a cousin up in maine that will sell me his 700, Id love to have it.

The 700 is a pretty much bullet proof design but it is 20+ years old...

I'd love to have one again but I dont need another money pit,

I am worried about parts availability for a bike thats 20+ years old and was only produced for 3 years. The engine was designed for this bike and is unique to it.

Are there any honda parts guys here? Are parts available or am I going to need a donor bike as well?