Sign in to follow this  

Best 4T woods bike?

what is the best 4t woods bike for someone who is a B level rider, 6 foot, 175 pounds without gear?

It is for my dad, who wants a new bike for racing in some h/s, but mostly woods riding in soft packed dirt and a tiny bit of sand.

maintanence is no issue, because he is a great mechanic and does alot of work on automotive stuff.

He wants it to be able to have a light and have quite a bit of electric power stock.

He is coming off a kawasaki super sherpa which is also callled a kl250. (250cc 4T air cooled), so he would want something a bit bigger in cc.

torque is more important than hp.

ummm thats pretty much all I could think of. Thanks for your input.:applause:

• Like 1

WR250F/CRF250X KTM250XCWF (not sure on that ktm modle, I think thats what they call their offroad 4storkes.) or the 450 versions...

This is one of the most comprehensive comparisons I've seen for woods' bikes in a long time.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=3319

It breaks down each bike's inherent qualities and problem areas. Tells you which does what better and why.

WR450F would be my choice if I were going 4 stroke, funny it was also the test riders' choice too. Get one and uncork it!

These were all '06 bikes mind you. The Yamaha has just gotten better. The 2007 WR's finally got the aluminum frames.

Here is the review on the new ('07) WR models.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4117

KTM300 EXC if I was going two stroke.

Unless he wanted to build his own bike, then I would pull out all the stops and build a YZ250 up into a woods/off-road weapon. (285cc kit, heavy flywheel, rekluse clutch, scotts steering stabilizer, lighting kit, 18' rear wheel, kickstand, bigger skid plate, rework suspension, etc.)

Id go with a WR250F or build a YZ 250 or YZ 125 into a harescramble racer. As long as he doesnt want to do any trail riding, I think a 2-stroke would be the way to go.

Honda Crfx450 is a sweet bike does great on the moto track and the trails. Infact last weekend i was going pretty damn good around the track on my yzf250 and i got passed by a crfx450 like i standing still he jumped the table top infront of me and got a bit of a whip going. I was surprised.

Honda Crfx450 is a sweet bike does great on the moto track and the trails. Infact last weekend i was going pretty damn good around the track on my yzf250 and i got passed by a crfx450 like i standing still he jumped the table top infront of me and got a bit of a whip going. I was surprised.
don't think the bike had much to do with it. he was just plain faster than you.

don't think the bike had much to do with it. he was just plain faster than you.
WELL DUH!!! But he rode it like it was a crf not a crfx. I still think the crfx is a better all around bike then a wr any day.

Best all around woods bike...

KTM 400 EXC.

Good power (not a screamer) but low maint. take you anywhere and the happy button to boot.

If you want more umph later on you can pop on a 453 kit for around $450 bones.

Plus if you get an '07 it's 50 state legal for getting a plate.

Wow - I thought only the 450exc & 525exc came with a 50 state legal factory plate...

Your dad is light enough to ride a 250 4t.......plus, the 250 won't wear him out like a 2t (any displacement) or big bore 4t. I switched from a 250crfx to a 250 ktm xcf-w. The KaToom is the BEST enduro and trail dirt bike I've ever owned since the late 60s. It's plenty fast and will have gobs more torque than the Kwacker 250 4t. While Kaw, Suz and Yam make good 250 4t trail bikes, KTM makes full out racers that make much better trail bikes. He'll also appreciate the electric start. At our age, light weight, nimble handling, electric type power (rather rip on acceleration from corner to corner) is what I think he'd be looking for..........I did and found it with the little KTM. Hope this helps. Rider

Your dad is light enough to ride a 250 4t.......plus, the 250 won't wear him out like a 2t (any displacement) or big bore 4t. I switched from a 250crfx to a 250 ktm xcf-w. The KaToom is the BEST enduro and trail dirt bike I've ever owned since the late 60s. It's plenty fast and will have gobs more torque than the Kwacker 250 4t. While Kaw, Suz and Yam make good 250 4t trail bikes, KTM makes full out racers that make much better trail bikes. He'll also appreciate the electric start. At our age, light weight, nimble handling, electric type power (rather rip on acceleration from corner to corner) is what I think he'd be looking for..........I did and found it with the little KTM. Hope this helps. Rider

I agree to a point, but I've never felt worn out from a 2-stroke. If it weren't for on-road legalities, I'd be riding a KTM 300 XC or XC-W instead of my 450 EXC.

what is the best 4t woods bike for someone who is a B level rider, 6 foot, 175 pounds without gear?

It is for my dad, who wants a new bike for racing in some h/s, but mostly woods riding in soft packed dirt and a tiny bit of sand.

maintanence is no issue, because he is a great mechanic and does alot of work on automotive stuff.

He wants it to be able to have a light and have quite a bit of electric power stock.

He is coming off a kawasaki super sherpa which is also callled a kl250. (250cc 4T air cooled), so he would want something a bit bigger in cc.

torque is more important than hp.

ummm thats pretty much all I could think of. Thanks for your input.:applause:

I'll throw a vote in for the Husky TE250. I had a 2004 and sold it for a 2007 TE450. I missed the mileage, smooth engine and just plain fun factor of the 250 so I bought another one. They are cheaper than a KTM and stateside are street legal. They also don't hurt for power and if you want more, there is a 300cc kit available but it isn't cheap.

450's are fun but if you are just riding in the woods and not spending most of your time in 4th gear or higher, you really don't gain anything. Also, most 450's seem to have some issue with running hot whereas I have never heard of 250's overheating.

Good luck with whatever bike you buy.

Greg