Sign in to follow this  

Moving on up

Hello everyone, I currently own a 1998 CR125. I am 16 years old and have had the bike for about three and 1/2 years. It's got some mods on it, such as a pipe and reeds. I plan to sell the bike for $1600 to $1700 as it is in good condition. I plan to move up to a 450 and want a 2003 or newer, as I have heard there are air box problems with the 2002 model year(Honda). Money is an issue also. So my question is what would be a good reliable 450 for me to race? I am 6'1/6'2 172lbs. I work out every other day and am more then strong enough to handle 250 2 strokes so power should not be a issue. Thanks for you help.

Velcro, I wouldn't rule out an 02. There are a lot of guys on this site with 02's and they love them. Especially if cost is an issue, you could get a really good deal on the bike. Keep in mind, these bikes can cost a lot more than a 2 stroke to maintain. However, if you buy a good manual and know your way around a wrench a little (or can follow directions), and do the work yourself, you will have a long and great experience with your 450.

Sidenote: If you get an 02 or 03, please buy an 04 number plate. The 02-03 plates are :naughty::lol: :lol: :applause::eek:

• Like 1

Hey thanks alot Utemachine, I have found some good deals on 2002 and 03's. How often do these bikes top ends last say compared to a 2-stroke top end? I will try to find one with a fresh top end if possible. Thanks.

Velcro, that question is a bit subjective, so my answer is, it depends. It depends on valve maintainence, oil change intervals, riding style, etc... When you look at a bike, tell the guy NOT to warm it up before you get there that you want to start it cold. How it starts is a good indicator to valve wear. If it takes a lot of kicks there is something going on. Ask him how often and when the last time he changed the oil, then check it. Is it dirty and does it go along with his story. Take it through the gears, that tranny should shift and feel very tight, solid and smooth. Short of pulling the top end apart, these are some good ways to tell if these bikes are in good shape.

My Buddy just bought an 03. This guy told us in advance that he put about 60 miles a week of fire trails on the bike. When we were checking it out it took about 3 kicks to start but the guy had warmed it up before we got there. You could feel things were loose in the top end when you would slowly push through the kick starter. And the thing made way too much racket when it was fired up. However, he offered the guy $2500, got it home and spent around $400 in a piston kit, new cam chain, shimmed the valves and the bike runs like it just rolled off the showroom floor. I hope that helps you my friend!

Yes it helps alot! Thanks for this info as this will be my first thumper. I know what to look for on two strokes, but the 4 strokes seem a little different as far as wear and tear. I will use my best judgment and your know how when I go to look at a bike. Thanks again kind fellow!:applause:

Yes it helps alot! Thanks for this info as this will be my first thumper. I know what to look for on two strokes, but the 4 strokes seem a little different as far as wear and tear. I will use my best judgment and your know how when I go to look at a bike. Thanks again kind fellow!:applause:

Anytime my brother.

...got it home and spent around $400 in a piston kit, new cam chain, shimmed the valves and the bike runs like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

Dang... a few more bucks and he could have had an all new top end. $400 is a lot of coin for just the items noted.

Dang... a few more bucks and he could have had an all new top end. $400 is a lot of coin for just the items noted.

I'm just ball parking, I'm sure he got a good deal on the parts from Rocky Mountain and the OEM stuff from a place that was a little cheaper than Motosport.

I'm sure that $400 included labor from the dealer. Right? Becuz that's what I just paid for the exact same work and same parts on my CRF250.

We did the work ourselves.

Weisco piston kit- $141

Gasket Kit- $54.99

Cam Chain- $34

Bringing the total to and correcting my old number of $400 to $230 + tax. I'm sure I am forgetting a couple other little things he bought but you get the point.

It's all about just doing the routine maintenance. I did rings, OEM valve seals and OEM valve springs, gaskets and threw in a new cam chain this past week. $100. Got the rings free. Just keep a record and a close eye and you will never have to go crazy dumping cash into it.