Sign in to follow this  

Hooking up a flatside QUESTION (w/pic!)

Mikuni flatside and Gunnar Gasser throttle with cables c/o XRs Only.

You can see the cable end with the post/stop/whatever-it-is, the 90-degree cable guide, the top flange of the carburetor, and the bronze-color fitting to the flange.

img2113fl4.jpg

1. The post on the cable end does not fit through the brass fitting.

2. The brass fitting is threaded into the flange, but has no threading for the 90-degree cable guide.

3. The 90-degree cable guide threading is the same has the brass fitting (as if it could be directly connected to the top flange). If it is connected this way, you'd have spin the flange up the threading of the cable guide, and then bolt it to the top of the carburetor.

4. I don't know how to put it together properly. No instructions of any sort were provided.

What do I do?

Mikuni flatside and Gunnar Gasser throttle with cables c/o XRs Only.

You can see the cable end with the post/stop/whatever-it-is, the 90-degree cable guide, the top flange of the carburetor, and the bronze-color fitting to the flange.

img2113fl4.jpg

1. The post on the cable end does not fit through the brass fitting.

2. The brass fitting is threaded into the flange, but has no threading for the 90-degree cable guide.

3. The 90-degree cable guide threading is the same has the brass fitting (as if it could be directly connected to the top flange). If it is connected this way, you'd have spin the flange up the threading of the cable guide, and then bolt it to the top of the carburetor.

4. I don't know how to put it together properly. No instructions of any sort were provided.

What do I do?

I'll assume you don't have any of this assembled on the bike yet. If not, good. I'd try assembling this on the bench, to see if it's even going to work.

I'd remove the adjuster from the top flange of the carb. Take the nut off the adjuster and put it on the cable end then screw it onto the carb top flange.

Then put the spring & throttle slide on, put it in the carb, & screw the top flange onto the carb like it's going to work. Remember, this is only a test....

Put the throttle assembly together at the twistgrip. If this is going to work the way it's set up there should be enough adjustment in the cable adjusters to take up the slack in the inner cable, so when you twist the throttle it'll pull the slide up all the way. If it's close to working, you can use the threads at the 90 degree bend down on the top of the carb as an adjuster too using the nut as a jamnut to keep it from turning once you get it right. You'll want this to work without having all the adjusters all the way out. If they are, then it sounds to me like the inner cable is too long.

If it's obvious this isn't gonna work, then I'd call whoever you got the cable from for some help with it.