Sign in to follow this  

Engine cracks?

Noticed this yesterday when I cleaned the bike up to get ready for spring. I've not even had the bike a year yet, and I only ride trial and do hill climbs so nothing major. Are these cracks or something else? The 3rd pic is what's really got me worried.

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

engine4.jpg

enigne5.jpg

They look like casting marks. I work on automatic transmissions and see those all the time on the cases and valve bodies. Some do look like actual cracks but it's only on the surface.

Any oil around them? Those look like casting marks..... clean those areas up real good (Scrub brush and some detergent/water)..... Take the bike out for a short ride... get the motor hot.... then look for oil.

I had a mark on an 88 Honda Hawk I swore was a crack on the outside of the cylinder.... after I looked at other Hawks, they ALL had them... it was a casting mark. I was a wreck till I figured it out...lol.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Dennis

Thanks. Aparently they've been here for awile, and no I've never seen oil come from anywhere, so I think you guys are right and it's just casting marks. I've probably seen them before but never really payed any attention to them. Thanks again.

Yes, just casting marks. I have the same thing on my 05' CRF150. They were there since the day I bought it brand new! No worries..