Sign in to follow this  

splitting the cases

alright my motor is completely ready for the cases to be split. ive heard on this site you can do it with a rubber mallet and by prying at the motor mounts.....its definetly not working for me....should i take it to the dealer?how much would your dealer charge you just to split the cases?i have also heard steering wheel puller works? thanks

Just did a 1998 case and boy was it hard to do without a spliter. I rigged up a board with holes drilled in it and some long screws. E-Bay had a splitter for about $60 I think. I am going to get one for the next re-build.

Do not pry on the cases. On my 250 a harmonic balancer puller works. On the stator mounting holes use long bolts and washers and then push with the puller against the crank and pull the left side off tapping the case near the back it should come apart that way. If that is too much for you then maybe you should take it to a shop. Ed

Rockymoutain Atv has a case splitter and a crank installer for 59 each. I just ordered both should be here soon. I've split a few with a rubber mallet, but it depends on the engine.

I'm pretty sure the dealer would charge right around the same it would cost to buy the tool your self. I've justified buying lots of tools that way and in even in the short run you will save money.

Just my 2 cents...

I'm pretty sure the dealer would charge right around the same it would cost to buy the tool your self. I've justified buying lots of tools that way and in even in the short run you will save money.

Just my 2 cents...

Yes. Plus the cost and time to drive there twice. I buy cheap pullers for whatever I need and have adapted them for splitting cases too.

do not hammer on the cases to get it apart, while coming apart is not as bad as going together you shouldn't beat on any part of you motor. Going together you will need to be extra careful to insure that you don't knock you crank out of alignment, speaking of alignment you will need to have it checked to insure it is true and as I said really careful going back together to insure it stays true. If you've not done this before you may be money ahead taking it to your dealer to have done, if you put it together and it's not aligned, the bearings may fail prematurely forcing you to go into the cases again, and at that point any money that you may have saved is out the window.

I used a bit of heat and (like someone else stated) a harmonic balancer puller when I did my Blaster quad. When going together, toss the crank in the freezer overnight then when you're ready to put it in, heat up the bearing areas with a propane torch. Goes in like butter.

I used a bit of heat and (like someone else stated) a harmonic balancer puller when I did my Blaster quad. When going together, toss the crank in the freezer overnight then when you're ready to put it in, heat up the bearing areas with a propane torch. Goes in like butter.

Just be careful not to get the seals to hot while warming up the cases to install the bearings and crank.

I have used a steering wheeler puller with washers and long bolts. It worked great. A few light taps from a rubber mallet to keep the cases coming apart equally on the far ends, and it was pretty dang easy.

Use a heat gun. Never use a torch as assembly lube and seals don't get along with that much heat. You might call the service department of your local dealer and ask them. They may do it for free or at least be cheaper than buying a puller. If your going to be doing more engines in the future, you may want to consider picking one up though.

ohhh no way not this dealer they charged 40 bux for pulling the flywheel,clutch bolt, and a stripped kickstarter bolt.........i figure it would be at lease 40 to split the cases...

I'm picking up kx100 motor after having the dealer do it tomorrow. $670.00 OUCH!!!! New main bearings and a bearing in the tranny. Pussed out on doing it myself. Hope it's all-good cause we're racing saturday! Bend over baby.

Just split the cases and rebuilt bottom end of my Kx500 . I used the Rocky Mountain atv (Tusk) splitter and crank installer. They worked great. I also have used the freezer and heat trick with good results.

I'm picking up kx100 motor after having the dealer do it tomorrow. $670.00 OUCH!!!! New main bearings and a bearing in the tranny. Pussed out on doing it myself. Hope it's all-good cause we're racing saturday! Bend over baby.

Man, so thats what I have to look foreward to? :applause:

Man, so thats what I have to look foreward to? :lol:

Uh huh, Just finished putting it back in the chassis. That 670.00 included a piston too. It sounds great, hope it stays that way. In a couple more years junior will have to pay for it himself!:applause:

Uh huh, Just finished putting it back in the chassis. That 670.00 included a piston too. It sounds great, hope it stays that way. In a couple more years junior will have to pay for it himself!:applause:

So that was with parts? My crank, gaskets and piston came in yesterday, im going to order the bearings & seals through the shop. I'm hoping with th bearing and seals that i'll stay under 350 labor

alright my cases are split and all transmission and shifting mechanisms removed. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=7148 check out the pics. now what i need to know is how to i remove the crankshaft? my manual is suggesting a special tool but hmm there should be a way you guys know of;) also how do i remove the main bearings? thanks