Sign in to follow this  

rekluse install question...floppiness caused by sloppiness?

i am just finishing up putting a rekluse z-start clutch in my 2006 tc250, and had a question before i buttoned it all back up.

i followed the instructions faithfully, and double-checked my work, but there was one thing that seemed a bit wrong...with it all put together, the pushrod assembly is not sticking out into hole in the outer assembly plate, and is loose in the space behind it. it seems there is not enough tension on the pushrod to push its head through the hole in the center of the assembly.

i wasn't sure if this meant i had assembled something wrong...so i rechecked the assembly instructions (pushrod, then thrust bearing, flat washer, curved washer) exactly as the instructions said, leaving the ball bearing out. the gap in the installed clutch pack is ~ .031 as called out in the instructions.

it seems like the pushrod head should rest in the hole in the outer assembly plate. :applause:

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

I'm sure it should be in the center. Are you sure you remove the ball at the end of the actuator shaft? Maybe you need to line it up and give your clutch a pull or to so it extends and holds it in place. :applause: It's been a while since i did mine so I'm going from memory which is not always good :lol: plus I have installed many of these in different bikes so I can't recall all the configurations.

Give us a ride report when you get it figured out & ride it. I'm considering one of these for my 250. Any others out there with comments/reccomendations?

the instructions say:

04-06 250 and 04 450 - guide the rekluse clutch throw-out into the hole in the transmission input shaft. Do NOT install the rekluse throw out spacer ball.

my stock clutch basket was replaced (as a warranty item) with the FBF basket, but i would think that does not make a difference.

also, i did pull the clutch lever a few (20-30) times, thinking it might need to get some air bubbles out of the system (from being on its side), but that didn't change anything. might i need to bleed the clutch hydraulics?

I'm sure it should be in the center. Are you sure you remove the ball at the end of the actuator shaft? Maybe you need to line it up and give your clutch a pull or to so it extends and holds it in place. :applause: It's been a while since i did mine so I'm going from memory which is not always good :lol: plus I have installed many of these in different bikes so I can't recall all the configurations.

so...next time i post a question like this, please just respond with a short "RTFM!" :lol: and that will take care of me most of the time.

i went back through the directions and tried to find any spot i could have gone wrong. since it's split up among different models, which each have different instructions (include these parts, don't use these, etc), i missed that i wasn't supposed to use the shim washers. :applause:

i took it all back apart, and found that i had indeed installed them, took them back out, and things look much better.

now i can go through the rest of the tuning to get it to hit like i want to.

thanks for your support!

call 866-rekluse . and it should be centered as read in the manual. i did not install mine . but the deal on the clucth was so good . and it was a $50 install. i could not refuse. so give rekuse a call the should walk you through it.

i just reread your thread . oh no do not use the clutch when the bike is not running!

yeah...saw that too after i restudied the instructions...what could i have screwed up by doing that?

i just reread your thread . oh no do not use the clutch when the bike is not running!

any of those useless spacers left in for the install ? when the shop installed mine per instructions. nothing lined up called rekluse back and you did not have to use those spacers. and the where going to update the manaul for the 06-07 .

You will not hurt anything by pulling the clutch while it is not running. Mine has been pulled LOTS of times, no issues. Not recommended but not catastrophic 99.9% of the time.

I'm surprised you could get your install gap right with the shims in. :applause:

for the 250, the instructions say to not use any of the .010 shims, just use the .26 spacers. i had the gap set right with the shims in, but now need to come up with a new assortment of stock and rekluse steel plates to get the gap back to spec. with the shims removed.

while i'm at it, i'll check with rekluse support and make sure the instructions are correct for the 06 tc250.

Finally….getting closer to having it work, but still not quite right.

To get the right gap, and have the pushrod located correctly poking through the hole in the center of the rekluse plate, I ended up with one .010 shim washer and .26 spacer on each of the mounting points, and used all 7 of the (thinner) rekluse drive plates. I left out the 7/32 pushrod ball bearing as per the instructions, and used all the tungsten balls. That setup gave me the .032 installed gap that was recommended. Started it up, put it in gear and it stalled immediately with the clutch in. Dialed the idle wayyy down, and it still stalled. Started it again and let it idle to warm up and tried again, stalled.

Figured maybe the gap was just too tight, so took out a rekluse plate and added back in a stocker to get the installed gap around .040 (the loose end of the recommended specification. Same stalling problem, a bit better, but it wanted to drive when I put it in gear, even with the clutch in and with the brake applied it would stall.

Figured maybe I should try a higher stall speed setup, so I added a second washer on top of the wave spring (like the instructions suggest, and then warn against one line later – &%$#@!?). Now I can click it into first and let the clutch out and it barely wants to move. It won’t stall sitting there with the clutch out and in gear, but I cannot pull the clutch in and shift gears.

The clutch lever is verrrrry floppy, and now I am wondering if it needs to be bled from all the time it has spent on its side. That would explain why it doesn’t seem to be disengaging the clutch when I pull it, but does not explain the low stall speed. My next step is to use the highest stall speed setting they recommend (using both the 1.5” wave spring and the 2” wave spring), and maybe replacing some of the tungsten balls with the stainless ones, but I wanted to check and see if there is anything else I could have totally screwed up and should check first.

The upside to all of this is that I have not missed out on any riding yet, and I am getting incredibly good at taking apart and reassembling the clutch (just not good at getting it to work).

Geez man, i have installed about 30 plus of these things and never had an issue. Somethings up obviously. The floppy clutch lever is normal because the 6 springs are gone and there is ver little force (the wave spring) to push agianst.

Call Rekluse and ask them what your doing wrong.

K

Sean knows his shit and does a good portion of the engineering there, your in good hands. Why not call and ask for him?

K

i talked to Charles, who referred me to Sean (unavailable at the moment)...i emailed him the background info, and have my fingers crossed that he can identify where my extra chromosome affected the installation.

Sean called me, and after reading my description of what was going on, he realized the instructions were not clear, and i left out the pushrod ball bearing (because the old one comes out with the stock pushrod end, and the instructions say clearly not to put the rekluse one in). This fact confused me, and was one of my original questions to the tech support 2 weeks ago when i first contacted them, but the guy i talked to said the way i had done it was correct.

Anyway, it makes sense that the ball bearing will make everything act as it should if i put the stock ball bearing back in, but i won't be able to test it till i get home friday night.

Sean has been great to work with so far, apologizing for the inconsistencies in the directions, and willing to do what it takes to make it right.

wow they have'nt updated the manaul yet ! their a little slow on that . at least their tech support is great.