Road Tested: CrowerPower Cam...

I've got two rides on my '07 with the Crowerpower Victory (intake) cam and here is my impression of it so far:

You can see from the pic below the lobes are a little more peaked than stock. The lift has been increase from .350 to .390 along with a little more duration. The cam is actually ground down from stock so the side opposite the lobe is ground down too. To compensate I had to go from 170 to 260/265 shims. Other than that it is a simple replacement of the cam. The good news is that it works with the stock valve springs.

After two rides I took it apart to inspect things and everything looked good. The lobes are wearing in smoothly and the valve clearances hadn't changed. The cam chain did stretch a little though no doubt due to the added pressure of the higher lift and possibly quicker ramping on the lobes.

Starting and idling seem the same as before and I haven't heard any additional noise from the engine. So how does it run? Well, Dan at Crowerpower said something to the effect that it has a hit to it compared to stock and that is exactly what it felt like riding it. It even sounds differently. The best way to describe it is that my motor now feels (and sounds) like the perfect blend of a two stroke and four stroke. The powerband hasn't changed but the slow revving tractable nature of the stocker has somewhat. I can't just grab a handful of throttle coming out of corners anymore. Like a two stroke it can get away from you. My seat-of-the-pants dyno is thinking about a 2 hp gain from lower mid range on up. Keep in mind that I also have an FMF 4.1 Megabomb pipe that already had my motor running awesome. This is just icing on the cake.

Disclaimer: I have no idea about the long term affects of running this cam. If you are thinking of getting one and are concerned about that check back with me (PM) in a month or so and I'll tell you what I know or call Dan at CrowerPower.

CrowerPowerVictoryCam.jpg

see i told you you would like it , i have a wave of really fast guys running this grind and all reports are A++++. the new billet is coming in a month or so and then it will be a near drop in with a stock shim..... the 14.2 piston combined with that cam is your next move float! Our test bike is hitting 38 hp at 9800 rpm!!!! thanks for the report

see i told you you would like it , i have a wave of really fast guys running this grind and all reports are A++++. the new billet is coming in a month or so and then it will be a near drop in with a stock shim..... the 14.2 piston combined with that cam is your next move float! Our test bike is hitting 38 hp at 9800 rpm!!!! thanks for the report

is that with the stock pipe or just the cam and the piston?

I think I better stick with just the cam. I was out at Glen Helen last night and I felt like a drunken sailor riding that thing. Super fun but it is so fast now I have to be careful I don't get in over my head. If only I was 18 again...