Sign in to follow this  

Any one having front brake problems?

The front brake has become soft and won't lock the front tire recently on the wife’s 150r. I have bled the system again and it is still acting like it has air in it. However after a few minutes of pumping the lever it will eventually start working properly till it has sat for a while then it becomes soft again.

Has any one had any problems with the 150r and if so is there a fix? I'm thinking there might be something wrong with the "plunger" in the reservoir and might need to be rebuilt. Any idea if that can be done?

Thanks

Doug

check the rotor and see if it got bent? Just shooting in the dark with that idea.

I'm sure you wiped the rotor off with brake clean? Any leaks?

Have a TTR 125L.... Same symptoms... The front wheel axle nut was loose..... DOH>>>>>:applause::lol: Might want to check . Just in case....

Nick...

Have a TTR 125L.... Same symptoms... The front wheel axle nut was loose..... DOH>>>>>:applause::lol: Might want to check . Just in case....

Nick...

Letting the wheel move back and forth....causing the piston in the caliper to

move into the caliper casting....Hmmmmmmm very interesting:thumbsup:

However after a few minutes of pumping the lever it will eventually start working properly till it has sat for a while then it becomes soft again.

Sounds like there is still air entering the system somewhere (assuming like another post suggested the front axle nut is indeed tight *and* assuming it's bled properly (no water in the line). I just don't think you could bend a rotor enough to cause this and not notice it.

I swapped to the dual piston caliper and that was too soft for my needs too. Seems that the master is the same from the 250/450 and the 150r so perhaps the lever is the same? If so (it's easy enough to check if you go to a shop with lever in hand) I threw a lever from something like a 98 cr500.. something we had on a rack - which had a much longer adjusting screw (and unlike stock didn't come extended completely) and that made all of the difference in the world. Also, used RBF600 brake fluid.

It seems to me that I'm getting an air leak from somewhere that is effecting this. The only weird part is that the brake will eventually get hard till it sits for a while. I have a asv lever on the bike and tried switching back to stock but I have the same result. I'll keep looking though.

thanks

doug

It seems to me that I'm getting an air leak from somewhere that is effecting this. The only weird part is that the brake will eventually get hard till it sits for a while. I have a asv lever on the bike and tried switching back to stock but I have the same result. I'll keep looking though.

thanks

doug

Hey Doug,

I would think you'd be seeing fluid somewhere if this were the case? I'm not a brake 'expert' though so who knows. I said air leak but you know 'leak' pretty much says it all. It's hard because you're building pressure in the line when you pump it and ride it but the leak is such that the pressure is lost slowly over time, kind of like a slow leak in a tire. I don't know how this would happen. If you just got the bike you might try calling the dealer & explaining the situation to them (err.. if you take it in I'd keep the stock lever on it?). You said you bled it before - are the bolts tight? You might bleed it again and then loosen both banjos and retighten. I don't recall if there are crush washers there but I'd assume so. If they're shot you might replace (they're cheaper than a line). Sorry I can't be more specific, hopefully something here helps you find the solution.