Sign in to follow this  

Airbox removal

Hi, I was wondering how I would go about removing the airbox on my 250X. I know that I have to flip up the subframe, but what all holds the airbox in place, and how many hoses are hooked up to the airbox. I have to remove the airbox to finish cutting the top off (the peice under the battery holder).

Consider just reaching thru the slots in the battery tray and drilling some 3/8 inch holes. I didn't think the cc mods called for cutting the entire top off the airbox anyway---just about a 3 to 3.5 inch square. Mine isn't opened up anywhere near that much and it flows well enough to require a 165 main jet! That large a hole lets massive amounts of dirt get onto the filter.

Consider just reaching thru the slots in the battery tray and drilling some 3/8 inch holes. I didn't think the cc mods called for cutting the entire top off the airbox anyway---just about a 3 to 3.5 inch square. Mine isn't opened up anywhere near that much and it flows well enough to require a 165 main jet! That large a hole lets massive amounts of dirt get onto the filter.

Airbox.jpg

It looks like it says to cut under the battery tray.

Yeah the ccc mods is just the visible top of the box,not the part under the

battery.I did mine with the box intact.For me it is Quite a pain in the arse to get the air box out.I took it out once to clean the airbox and it took a while and was dirty the next time I rode it.But it's all very self explanatory.The one bear,well two,is be sure you get the top crank case vent hose on to the air boot and don't forget it(cause I did)and at the same time get the air boot back on the carb properly.double check the back side as this is a tuffy too.

not worth it!

On second thoughts,the above picture does look like it cuts out under the battery.I just went out and looked at mine and thats what it looks like their saying. But that is just way too much.

Well I'm going to do this when I rejet so I will have the subframe up to get at the carb anyway. Has anyone cut out the bottom under to battery, and if so do you think it was worth the extra time to do so.

Taking out the carb is a pain too.You have to take the shock out to remove the carb.You can rejet by losening the carb boot and twisting the carb towards you on the left side of the bike to access the main and pilot jet.

I have taken out my airbox. It took 5 minutes as my bike had seat and tank off before I went to work on it. It was more easy than I thought. I did the full CCC airbox mod (cut out on the inside of the cut lines on the airbox). I used a blade and heated it up with a candle to cut it. I then washed the airbox out with some soapy water as it was dirty to begin with. I did not know before that the airbox would split in two to clean it, that was a good thing. Heres some pics.

Off the bike

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q63/SDK_CRFX_RIDER/?action=view&current=openairbox.jpg

On the bike

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q63/SDK_CRFX_RIDER/?action=view&current=openairbox2.jpg

• Like 1

Will I be forced to re-jet if I cut off the airbox or drill some holes to increase airflow? Re jetting may be a bit beyond my current capabilities.

Will I be forced to re-jet if I cut off the airbox or drill some holes to increase airflow? Re jetting may be a bit beyond my current capabilities.

I'm afraid so, especially if cut the top area off. Not to worry, I'm the next in line to do the same. As least you've got some endorsement!

There are two hoses that hook up to the air box. Both hook in to the air box boot. One hooks to the topend and the other to the emissions crap (on the 07). You also have two radiator catch tank hoses that run along the left side of the bike between the carb and the left frame rail. All you have to do is take off the 1-2 hoses that connect to the air box boot) and unhook the two radiator catch tank hoses. This will allow you to pull the subframe and carb off. While you have the subframe and carb off, take some time to reroute the carb lines to the right side of the bike. I also rerouted my radiator catch tank lines so it was easier to thread them out from the top of the subframe. This will make taking the subframe off a couple minute affair and a whole lot easier when working on the engine or carb. Hinging the subframe up every time you need to work on the bike is a pain in the ass.