Sign in to follow this  

sprocket recommendation for 2006 te250

Just picked up a 06 with 70 miles....I plan to ride some street to the trails and want to get a bit higher gearing and am thinking of changing the front sprocket at the trailhead. suggestions and tried solutions appreciated. do i need to reduce my rear. (bike is all Stock gearing)

thanks

What gearing do you have now, I tried an extra tooth on the front making it 14x50 and it gave 15mph more in top gear and cruise at about 55, it would be easier to just change the front and adjust the chain slack to suit.

Sounds good..I have stock 13/50 f/r. My dealer said I had to change the rear. How does it launch with the 14 tooth CS. anyone fit a 15/50 setup? results? reccomendations?

Sounds good..I have stock 13/50 f/r. My dealer said I had to change the rear. How does it launch with the 14 tooth CS. anyone fit a 15/50 setup? results? reccomendations?

:applause: With the 14 its like starting in 2nd and a bit too tall in the tight stuff for gettin over obstacles, I think 15 would only be good for road work and you may have to use a longer chain. I am going to try 49 on the rear just to see if the gears feel a bit longer. changing 1 tooth on the front is equal to about 4 on the rear. There is a ratio chart on Renthal web site you may find useful.

When I changed back to 13 thats when I realised the difference was so much.

Anyway its all fun trying different things:ride:

Don't know what your background is so....

At some point the tire can hit the swing arm if the chain is not long enough.

At some point the chain cannot be adjusted properly if the chain is too long.

Changing the sprockets may require a new chain length for those reasons.

I don't see a need to change the rear sprocket unless you want to, a CS is quicker to change than a rear sprocket. Going to a 14/48 then changing to a 13/48 at the trail head might work.

Or a 14/50 to a 13/50 at the trail head might work too.

I wanted more 'low end' and put a 12T CS on - it fit fine but did not feel right on the trail. The longer I ride my 2006 te250 the better I like the stock gearing. The bike has low end now the way it is set up.

• Like 1

I will try getting buying a 14/48 this will give me options.... 14/50 ,13/50 and 13/48 that is-if the chain/wheel adjustment permits. anyone know the limits for completely stock 2006 te250 with dunlops.

Thanks. PS i checked my spare CS sprockets for fit (NFG:naughty: ) from my f650dakar and they have more splines and a huge 30mm bolt to remove the CS. I love the husky circlip!!:applause:

Just got off the Phone with Halls and ordered a 14tooth and a 48 rear plus a couple of oil filters and an air filter. Excellent pricing total $82 and 10buck shipping. will have thursday or friday ....Check out the halls website for rear sprockets on special for $29.99!

Also Ups dropped off my case of Agip 10w-60 so Iam ready for some riding and wrenching this weekend. :applause: Thanks for all the advice