Sign in to follow this  

06' Kx85

I just want to know what everyone else thinks here.....

I just bought my son a brand new KX85 two weeks ago from my local dealer. I told them where we plan on riding and also had them set up the suspension for him. My son is 12 years old and just learning. We went out last week for an hour just to break it in. We went today and rode for another hour when the bike siezed up. He wasn't "hot rodding" it because he is just learning, he was just riding down a trail when it happened (3rd gear trail riding). Here are my questions;

Do you think it's fair to ask the dealer to replace the top end because they were the ones who were suppose to set it up? The bike has maybe two hours on it.

How much money am I looking at if I have them do the rebuild on the top end with parts and labor?

Any insite would be great, all I can say is I have a very sad boy today :applause:

Setup the suspension? Was he there?, because you need the rider there with all his gear to set the sag. The compression and rebound should be fine at the stock settings for a beginner rider. The other problem is the piston. I see your other vehicles are 4 stroke you did put oil in the gas? Small 2 stokes need 32:1 forget what the oil bottle tells you. Never trust the Dealer they might have some 6 dollar an hour kid doing the setups. When I get a new bike I go over it. I have only had one bike that the air filter was oiled. The stock plug that comes in a new 85 is cold heat range plug that should be replaced when the engine is broken in. I ride a new 2 stroke 10 min never going past half throttle and not a steady thottle position. Then let it cool. Then do it again. Next ride let her rip. What does the plug look like? If you convince the dealer it's his fault he might help but he doesn't have to (race bike). Kawasaki 85's are almost bullet proof I have had 3 brand new ones and we raced Kaw's for years. My 14 yr old can strip one down to the frame with his eyes closed and put it back together with one eye while he eats a sandwich. But when a fast rider wrings the neck out of them you do have to replace some parts.

I've owned many two strokes dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Yes we did do the normal break in, rode it at half throttle for 15 minutes then let it completly cool off and then rode it for 30 minutes and then totally cool off. Then it started to rain so we called it a day. We went home, washed it, checked for loose nuts and bolts. This time we took it out, started it up to warm up, took off and it siezed it up. I did buy the good oil (expensive) and mixed it 32:1 Once it sized up I took the plug out to see if I could un stick the piston (couldn't) and then inspected the plug. It looks to new to even see any color on it???? I hope the local shop works with me, geesh I did just buy that KX 85 and a KX450F two weeks ago!

EDIT: Yes my son was there when they set up the suspension and the mechanic is a good one (I have delt with this place on many toys in the past).

If you cant see any color on the plug after that much riding it was way lean. Did the bike bog? If you take the pipe off you can see some of the piston. My guess is the piston and rings are toast. Hopefully it didn't scar the cylinder. Wiseco piston kit $70. New cylinder 300 I know I have bought several. My local dealer did help me get a goodwill warranty on a broken frame. I forgot to mention to them it was from overshooting a 100 table top and flat landing, broke the rim too. Best of luck to you. I can talk you through a top end rebuild on the phone or you can search the web for the how to's.

This time we took it out, started it up to warm up, took off and it siezed it up. I did buy the good oil (expensive) and mixed it 32:1 Once it sized up I took the plug out to see if I could un stick the piston (couldn't) and then inspected the plug. It looks to new to even see any color on it???? I hope the local shop works with me, geesh I did just buy that KX 85 and a KX450F two weeks ago!

now when u said u bought the expenisive oil, ur talking about the tranny oil right, not the premix oil...if u are, then im wondering if u bought either a petroleum base tranny oil for break in...then u can run a full synthetic oil after break in, which will protect the bike more....however the full synthetic or synthetic blend oils are the expensive ones....so im wondering if u used the synthetic oil for break in...

Also when u checked the plug, was it the same plug that the bike came with?

if it is, and u said that "it looks to new to even see any color," and u mentioned the bike has been broken in and ridden a couple times....that leads me to wonder if the bike is running to lean...if the electrode of the plug was tan/white, thats an indication thats the fuel/air mixture is too lean....and usually when lean mixtures cause the most damage b/c in increases bike temp...and in most 2 strokes, the causes of piston's to seize, is b/c of the high temps?

:applause:

Expensive oil is the mix oil for the gas that is good for the Kip (?) valve. This is only the second ride on the bike. First ride was for break in at about 45 minutes, second ride is when it seized after about 30 minutes of riding. I was going to change the gear oil after todays ride. Yes, this is the pug that came with the bike as well...... Any thing else? :applause:

What does the manual say for beak-in? I just bought a new KX250, and it says:

warm-up / cool down

warm-up, 10 minutes no hard acceleration / cool down

warm-up, 20 minutes no hard acceleration / cool down

warm-up, 30 minutes no hard acceleration / cool down

What does the manual say for beak-in? I just bought a new KX250, and it says:

warm-up / cool down

warm-up, 10 minutes no hard acceleration / cool down

warm-up, 20 minutes no hard acceleration / cool down

warm-up, 30 minutes no hard acceleration / cool down

We did the proper break in for the KX85..... It's not because of break in, I believe that the dealer dfid not set it up right for the place we are riding in. I did call them, they told me to bring it on down for them to take a look at it, they also said to not worry about it. Time will tell, I'm taking it down to them tomorrow......

I own three KX85's and my two boy's beat the h*ll out of them and besides freshening up the tops with a new piston and ring twice a year I have never had a single problem.

I did have to do a top and bottom on an '03 recently due to a small piece of piston breaking off at the bottom and causing havic in the motor. The head cost $80, cylinder was $300 and gasket/piston/ring kit was about $100, labor was just my time (two hours or so).

One thought came to mind and that is are you sure it is the top that is sieze and not the crank? Also, which oil did you use when you mixed the gas at 32:1, there are two types, premix and injector and if you use the wrong one in a premix or vise a versa it can or will cause the bike to sieze

Kawasaki is stepping to the plate and fixing the whole motor. The crank bearing seized is what caused all the damage. Parts are on order. :applause: