Sign in to follow this  

New DRZ400S too high?

Hey guys, I'm used to riding a motorcycle with a 26 inch seat height, I wanna get a dual sport and I'm leaning towards a DRZ400, from what I've read it looks like what I want. I've read only good things for the most part (other than the seat) and will be buying one soon if all goes well. I am 5'8" and I'm worried about the seat height being too high. Does anyone else out there wear a 30" inseam and ride a drz 400??? If so let me know if you think the bike is too high or not, I know the DR650 is slightly lower but I'm looking for something mostly offroad, not much highway speeds, and around town cruising when the weather isn't too good and I don't take my road bike out. Thanks for any help.

The DRZ is pretty tall, but I'm pretty sure they make a drop linkage for it. Those normally drop the seat a few inches. Stock, I am 6'2" and wear a 34" length pant, and I barely flat foot the bike.

i'm 5'8 as well, i just put the gel seat on and it is a lot better, go to the dealer and sit on one, the gel seat is i think and 1-2" lower than stock, low enough for me, one foot half way on the ground or both feet with toes down good enough to feel comfortable.

I'm also 5'-8" and just added the gel seat. I thought I would have to go lower but after a few rides and getting used to it I wouldn't go any lower. I can get my feet down with toes bent and that's good enough.

I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam and have a gel seat on my S.

I had a set of lowering links on, but they screwed up the rear suspension so badly,:lol: I took them off and perfer it that way.

I have lowered my front forks about 1/2" in the triple trees and it has helped alot.

You will find that you love the S so much on the street that you will be riding it more than your road bike. :lol: (except for longer freeway trips)

Have fun!

Glad you are here! :eek::applause:

You have several options which you use is depedant on how much you can spend and how much you need to lower the bike.

Most expensive: Have a spacer installed in your shock and/or a different seat.

Medium: Use a Kouba link. There are three variations of these. A DRZ1, DRZ2 and a DRZ3. Each one consists of a different length dogbone link. It does lower the bike at the expense of also changing the suspension geometry and performance. The 1's and 2's are ok, the 3's disturb the geometry too much and is a last resort. Agian, you have the seat option

Least Expensive: Modify the seat only.

Seats:Get a lower/thinner seat like a Corbin (most comfortable)

Get a Suzuki Gel.

Take the stock seat and have some of the foam removed.

I'm 5'6" with a 28' inseam... I ride an SM (on my toes) but my KDX sit at ~ 36". It doesnt bother me off-road, i got used to the SM on road. I can only put 1 foot down on the SM. I'll admit, i would like something closer to the ground in the dirt/trails. The KDX get unweildy sometimes.

i have a 31' inseam and can sit flat footed on my sm...but i believe sm are a touch shorter than an s or e

One other option is to just ride the wheels off the thing like I have done. You'll get use to the height in no time.:applause:

One other option is to just ride the wheels off the thing like I have done. You'll get use to the height in no time.:applause:

17's work nice too:thumbsup:

Hi piston, :lol:

I'm 5' 5" and lowered the frame on my SM front and rear for less than a hundred bucks. It's great to be able to easily flatfoot both sides...

...and, oh man... the bike corners like a road racer! :lol:

drz400067.jpg

drz400020-1.jpg

The seat height is now 32 inches... :applause:

Take Care,

Greg

I have ended up putting a Corbin on and a shortened Ohlins and also shortened Ohlins internals in the forks on my SM. With my 27" inseam, both feet comfortable reach the ground. This was all fairly expensive but the ride is the best I have ever had. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Hi there

Just wondering if you have any problems with the sidestand? Do you need to grind it off a few inches? And what's the height for your bar raisers?

Cheers!

Hi there

Just wondering if you have any problems with the sidestand? Do you need to grind it off a few inches? And what's the height for your bar raisers?

Cheers!

No side stand problems with my bike. Total lowering (from suspension changes) is 2.5". It does stand up fairly straight but not enough to warrant immediate concern. If the TT billet stand were to become available again, I'd get one of those and shorten to suit.

I'm short and got accustomed to the high seat on my DRZ S..If you dont, the options are all listed above.

Hi there

Cheers!

Hi minime, :lol:

Yes, I did... so I bought an old used kickstand on ebay, cut out a section of the kickstand shaft with a rotary pipe cutter. And used a 3/4 copper plumbing pipe coupling to slip over the kickstand tubing, so I could be able to test for the proper length. By removing a little at a time and then trying it out on the bike. I got it just right, and then welded it back together proper.

Then I raised the fork tubes to lower the front the same amount as the back so that the bike retains the same fork geometry.

The bike handles so well with the frame tucked down between the axles, and doesn't have that tippy top heavy feeling any more. And it's so easy to handle when not running, and pleasant to be able to sit on it and maneuver it about by foot when backing out of a parking space.

drz400016-1.jpg

Since I use my bike every day in my work, lowering it has got to be one of the most useful and practical mods to adapt the bike to fit my needs... :applause:

Take Care,

Greg

I am the same height/inseam as well. '07s - switched out the stock seat for

a corbin and it's fine now. At times, on steep trails that you might need to put your feet down it's a bit hairy,but that's why you have all that cool riding gear. :applause: