Sign in to follow this  

Cooling fan

I ordered a radiator fan for my 525xc back in the beginning of January and dealer says it still hasn't come in yet, which is fine because it's too cold too ride here in Michigan. I guess I'm wondering whether I should still put one on or try the engine ice first and see if that is sufficient. I'm also curious to know from those of you that have installed the fans if they make that big of a difference and do they have reliability issues.

I don't do any type of racing just mostly two tracks with the wife.

Thanks for any input.

I ride in the Pacific Northwest out of Oregon. I installed one on my 05' MXC 525 since I ride tight trails most of the time. The fan has worked flawlessly for the last year, but it does wear down the stock battery in combonation with the electric starter. I'm going to get a better battery for this season. If you ride slowly and use the clutch in tight terrain it's must since you don't get the airflow needed to cool down a high strung four stroke.

Which battery are you guys considering? I'm guessing more cranking amps? Brands? This would be a good idea when replacing a battery with or without the cooling fan I would think. Who makes the best one that will work in the KTM application?

Once the bike is running, why would it wear on the battery? Or is it running while trying to start the bike? If it is installed on the 07s, does the fan come on with the key? If so, can it be switched off or on manually?

Once the bike is running, why would it wear on the battery? Or is it running while trying to start the bike? If it is installed on the 07s, does the fan come on with the key? If so, can it be switched off or on manually?

If the fan is constantly running, the battery will eventually run down as the stock electrical system can't quite keep up with the demands of recharging the battery. That said, my '04 525 (540) EXC fan runs fairly frequently and the higher capacity YTZ7S battery has never run down with the stock electrical system. Note that the fan thermosensor shuts down the fan within 10 - 15 seconds following engine shutdown.

If your battery is running down, putting a bigger one in is not the answer. That just delays the inevitable by a few minutes. You need to upgrade the charging system (float the ground and rewind). This is highly recommended for an EXC and fan combo.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I wasn't 100% whether I would need a fan or not but I planned to get a dual sport kit and run on the roads (traffic) and run slow tight trails so I opted for one. Every time I hear the fan kick on I'm glad I bought it..KTM makes this a plug and play install and it was super easy to do. I got mine from ktm-parts for $86. I had to trim some plastic to make my radiator guard brace fit between the fan and the back of the radiator but that was a special case and really not hard.

img0953cz8.jpg

I have an 06 525 EXC. I ride all off road and mostly tight trails in Northern Ca. In the summer it is close to 100 degrees in some places where we ride. I thought about a radiator fan for a while. I did not end up getting one. I used Water Whetter in the radiator, 2 Cool in the oil, got the bike jetted correctly and added an overflow reservoir just for a little insurance. I has not overheated once. I used to have a DRZ 400 and that bike did overheat a couple of times. The KTM does not overheat riding the same trails that the DRZ did. I did alot of reading about the fan and the consensus I came up with is that the biggest thing you can do to cure an overheating problem, is make sure it is jetted correctly.

Even though your KTM may 'never' overheat, it still makes sense to me to add the easily installed OEM fan. Why not? All other water cooled vehicles, including street bikes, have a fan. Without a fan, the engine obviously will at times be running much hotter than with a fan.

My fan isn't working. I want to check the thermostat. I have the wiring on a toggle switch. I am getting 7 volts at the themostat. Looks like my battery is low but if I jump a wire at the thermostat, shouldn't the fan run? Any advice would help.

One other option if you don't mind doing a little fab work to mount it is to use a computer fan. They draw very little current and can be had in many sizes and cfm ratings. I was skeptical but was told they hold up quite well. Very cheap too. I have one but haven't installed it yet. You'll still need a thermostat unless you want to just hook it up to a switch. >>>Computer fan linky<<<

If your battery is running down, putting a bigger one in is not the answer. That just delays the inevitable by a few minutes. You need to upgrade the charging system (float the ground and rewind). This is highly recommended for an EXC and fan combo.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Not exactly true. A larger battery gives more capacity for the times when the fan is running frequently and drawing on reserve. When the fan shuts off, the battery recharges for the next section where the fan may run frequently. The charging system is charging all the time with an excess average of about 28w; per Trail Tech. The KTM fan draws 36w but only runs a small portion of ride time.

Two 13w HID lights and a cpu fan pulling 9w and I've yet to have a dead battery on a 6 hour night ride using the stock electrical system.

If the KTM fan is the only accessory running off of the DC side of the bike, there is no reason to convert to all DC. Our group all has the fan, and none of us has a problem with a dead battery running stock electrical systems.